“Worst Hilton experience ever” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 33%
Ranked #39 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
Perth, Australia
“Worst Hilton experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We booked this hotel for my sisters 30th Birthday in our in between days from our overland tour to hopefully get some nice luxury to review for the next leg and celebrate in style. I have never been so dissapointed in a supossed 5 star hotel in my life and Ive stayed in a lot. The rooms are tired the aircon barely worked One of the staff tried to get us to "donate" money to them to cover a debt- (Kept it in their bellhop hat when we got home from dinner), the hairdryer needed to be fixed- which concerned me a little to actually use it being such a dangerous device. The staff tried to over charge us for an extra night that we had already paid for and mini bar charges that we didnt even know were missing because they were never placed there by house keeping before we went into the room. The drinks in the bar are over the top- it may be a 5 star hotel but we were in Africa I shouldnt be paying what I would in a Hilton in Perth Australia in Nairobi in Africa. Our friends stayed at another 5 star hotel that included breakfast and was cheaper with the exact same facilities and had a lovely time. When I complained to the hotel and then central reservations about this they couldnt have cared less apart from the the staff asking for money from us- especially after the bad time we had I would have expected better. I have stayed at the Hilton in Perth and a few other locations and for my money I would stay in the holiday inn chain pay less or try for another 5 star hotel centrally. Over priced and badly needs a full renovation. Also in stinking hot weather we also had to put up with the power being out for 6 hrs when the aircon was already not working properly. Needs to improve in all areas. Can you give less than a 1 rating?????

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Dierector of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Guest ,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in your comment, and you have my sincerest apologies for this. With regards of minibar charges, hair drier not properly working and as well the conduct of our team member, it would be highly appreciated if you could contact us directly to furnish us with more details (e.g. the room you stayed in) to enable us to investigate further and revert to you with proper feedback.

We have also noted that you experienced a lot of discomfort due to power cut that lasted for about six hours, and I am indeed very sorry for any conveniences caused to you. However I would wish to explain that we get our power from a private company ‘Kenya Power and Lightening Company’ and therefore in the event of power failure we do not have a direct control over the power supply. In such scenarios we have to rely on our own generator which only provides critical areas with lighting.

With great concern I read about your experience with one of our team members asking you for a “donation”. Please rest assured that we have taken (all) your feedback very seriously and our Front Office Manager as well as our Chief Security Officer are currently still investigating the matter. Any further detail (e.g. a name, date or time of the day), could assist as and would be highly appreciated.

Please be assured, we truly value your honest but constructive feedback and it will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Therefore we all do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi or at any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide and re-establish your faith in our hotel.

In the meantime, I am looking forward hearing from you.If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Very nice, clean and friendly staff... Good food and the gym and swimming pool were also very handy. We had a late check in and there was a mix up with our room, the staff wer very good to us and gave us a choice of three rooms to pick from including a free upgrade. The only down side to our stay was the expensive and I mean very expensive internet connection that didn't even work. My advice is don't use their Internet.... It is much cheaper to buy a local sim and buy data bundles.... I will however be staying at the Hilton again... It's like a mini paradise in the heart of Nairobi

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

I would like to sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members, and as well thank you for your positive comments about our facilities and food; it was a pleasure to share this with the team members and management. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

We have noted your comment with regards of our internet cost, and I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary

With regards to internet connection failure, we have checked our records and despite having a record of guests using this service, we have not found a similar comment or complaint of the kind. We do realize though that downloading big files, watching movies and “skyping” takes up so much bandwidth that it slows down the service, shared by all guests in the hotel. I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience this downtime might have caused you.
Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Kind regards,

North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012 via mobile

Exactly what you would expect from an African Hilton. Not 5 star but more than acceptable with the usual (for Africa) facilities. Resturant serves either al-a-cart Italian or a varied buffet style offering both of which are more than acceptable. A cafe style area serves light snacks if you don't want a full meal. All served with the usual smiles and reasonable service.
Rooms in the circular tower are clean, comfortable and pleasingly different from thr run of the mill rectangular rooms. Higher floors have a view over the city.
The gym is very good with a wide range of equipment and helpful staff. Get to the gym for 6:30 and join the aerobic workout with the very enthusiastic trainer.
Security is on a par with all the other major hotels.
this hotel is great if you have business in the centre of town but be warned - traffic is horendous around peak morning and evening times and if you are working out of town be prepared for hours of traffic jams, 2 miles in 1 and a half hours into the hotel at 5:30 pm.
Would I stay there again - yes I would without hesitation, I'll just leave commuting to a different time.
Conference facilities at the hotel are good with a choice of different sized rooms and the business centre is well equiped and staffed by helpful people.
All in all this hotel is very acceptable and given the cost it comes out fairly reasonable when compared to the other major chains.

• Stayed March 2012
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; it was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
I would like to thank you for your positive comments about our facilities, food served in our restaurants and sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members , especially at the gym and business centre; it was a pleasure to share this with the team members and management. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I thought this hotel would be a convenient place to do business in Nairobi. It wasn't. Not only does the hotel charge (roughly $25/day) for Internet access; it also limits you to one device. I tried to get around this by using my laptop in the room and my iPhone while in the restaurants and a meeting room. But the hotel's system couldn't handle switching from one device to another. It would lock up, and I'd be without any access at all for long stretches of time. In response to my complaint, Hilton said I should have purchased Internet access for each device. In other words, a couple staying at this hotel with a pair of laptops and smart phones is expected to pay about $100 extra/day for Internet access. I won't be doing that. I'll find another hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted your comment about our internet connection limitation, I am indeed very sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you, and I would wish to clarify that we have internet connectivity service per hour, for a day and weekly and as such the guest would purchase depending on usage but if one wishes to connect to two devices at the same time, you have to purchase for two.

With regards of costs, I also would wish to advice that the service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. However we do have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary. I sincerely apologize if this was not explained to you earlier.

Considering the above package, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Heidi kleineMoeller
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

After a long flight from the US, the staff at the Hilton met us at the airport and offered us cold juice during the ride from the airport to the hotel. We were traveling with a service dog and were welcomed and treated with respect by everyone at the hotel. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable and clean, and the bathroom had an excellent shower and hair dyer. No complaints!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

Thank you for the fine compliments you have made about the hospitality of our team members, and it was a pleasure to share the same with our teams. At the same time we highly appreciate your good remarks about our facility.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

For business, there is nothing wrong with this hotel. In the centre of Nairobi, with mad traffic, I am not sure if there is a right place to be. The hotel is a bit dated,but i found my hotel room to be clean, and to have all I needed.

The pool bar is great and the hotel has a nice pool and good gym. My only gripe is with the lack of free internet. The hotel rates are high enough for you to expect free internet. The charge for internet is day light robbery, especially considering that data rates in Kenya are competitive. My advise to any traveller is to buy a local sim card and data package. I bought a mini sim for my ipad and unlimited data for a week for basically the price of one nights internet at the Hilton.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We are glad to note your fine compliment you made about our facility and though dated, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We have also noted your comment with regard of our internet cost, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

If you like the hustle of a city, this location is great. In the center of town, short walks to everything. Beautiful boulevards, motorcycle taxis as well as lux ones. Very security conscious; gates, guards, screening on entrance. Very pleasant pool and garden dining on the third level. Our room had its own private terrace at pool level. Elegant, quiet, club-like room on second level for residents, decent breakfast with egg chef in a restaurant area of first floor, Jockey Pub which is more quiet British than any I saw in London. Only problem was hassles with reservations, mistakes on charges, lots of time taken to correct it all. Also difficult internet, especially for uploads (email)--but that seems to be a problem at every place we stayed in Kenya and TZ. This is billed as a business hotel, but it is more for local business meetings than travelers. High end stores are part of lobby, but for the most part their street entrances have been closed, for security reasons. Beds great. Baths excellent. Not a children's hotel. Slow elevators (one under refurbishment.)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi once again and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We appreciate the fine compliments your have made about our facility and glad to note that you enjoyed our breakfast. However, we have noted your concerns with our reservations/billing and the time it took to rectify. You have my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this might have caused you. Rest assured, we have put corrective measures in place to ensure such mistakes would not reoccur in future.

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!