“Nice hotel, rooms are a little dated, but charming. We would stay again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Nairobi

You added Hilton Nairobi to your Saves list
Hilton Nairobi
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #39 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Nice hotel, rooms are a little dated, but charming. We would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We arrived late and just spent the night to catch a flight in the morning. Good service, fast check in and the rooms are good. I read some reviews that they were old, they were, but not in a bad way. They were nice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests’ expectations.

We are glad to note your positive comments regarding the good service, the check in process, our rooms and that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Regarding the condition of our rooms which are not up to dated, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

With kind regards.

Heidi-Kleine Moeller
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Bradford UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Had a two night stay here with a colleague. Compared with a the regional hotel at Homa Bay it was a palace but in reality it was run of the mill for a Hilton. The public areas are well furnished and clean, the rooms are a little dated and are ready for a refurb.
The restaurants served good quality food and the breakfasts are certainly worth getting up for.
Although there is plenty of security around, my impression is that the staff are poorly trained and it is more of a token gesture than a genuine effort to keep the hotel safe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.
We have noted your positive comments about the furnishing of the public area, cleanliness as well as good quality of food served. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
We have noted your comment regarding the impression of our security staff and I sincerely owe you an apology for this is not acceptable and never should be the case. Meanwhile, I have shared this information with our Chief Security Officer to investigate and ensure all team members are retrained and such behaviour does not recur again in the future.

With regards to our hotel status, I am pleased though to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.
In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I helped organize a trip for 40 participants, and Hilton Nairobi was by far the most disappointing part. First, we got put on the "Pool" level, which had outdated and barely functioning rooms. Multiple rooms had issues with AC. The shower in my room malfunctioned, flooding the whole bathroom so I had to move in the middle of the night. The funny part is that one of trip participants stayed in that room the previous night, and had the same thing happen to him! So instead of fixing the issue, the hotel went ahead and put another person in the room with a faulty shower to suffer. I can keep going with the list of staff inadequacies, or the fact that Internet is $23/day, but I'd rather end it with my recommendation - stay elsewhere.

Reasons I am giving more than one star:
-Great breakfast
-Nice pool

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us .We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest’s expectations.

We have noted with concern your comment regarding condition of rooms and the shower which was not in good working order and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your colleagues. However, I wish to inform you that the our Engineering team has sorted out the issue in the room and more so we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

With regards of high internet charges, I would like to advise that our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

In case you do change your mind, I do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi or at any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide and re-establish your faith in our hotel.

With kind regards,

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Professional staff. They were always helpful and attentive.
I got a room on th executive floor, it was super clean and spacious.
This is not a new trendy place, but it has lots of charm and it is very well located in the heart of the city centre.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 6, 2012

We are glad to note your positive comments and that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With kind regards.

Martin Voskamp
ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Had the misfortune to be back in this dump again recently. Expect a comment from the manager talking about the refurbishment master plan that is going to be Enacted soon. Sigh! yea sure, we've been hearing that lie for ten years now.
OK the good stuff:
They do security fairly well and that is wholly necessary.
The staff are nice and try to be helpful
Errm, thats about it.
On the downside:
The rooms are apalling , dirty, musty, smelly . poorly furnished.
Food in the restaurants is vile... hint: last nights unsold fish curry is not an appealing brekfast.
Internet is dreadful and they rob you by charging $20 a day for it! Go out and buy a Safaricom sim card and get 1GB of Data for $5 and use any smartphone as a wifi hotspot 4G network is much better than hotel broadband anyway.
Because of its location and the name it carries this kip has a very high occupancy, and the rates they charge are ridiculously high. Someone is creaming an absolute fortune off this cesspit. Conrad Hilton would be spinning in his grave if he saw this dump using his name, never mind the very unfair impression it gives of Nairobi and Kenya as a destination.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us via the Trip advisor medium.
We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest’s expectations. Unfortunately we have this time not managed to do so in all areas, but do appreciate your detailed feedback,both positive and critical, the latter with our apologies.

Martin Voskamp,
Perth WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Hilton for 4 nights. The reception area is very grand and impressive as is the dining area, giving a great first impression. Staff were friendly and attentive.
The security was tight and my bag was searched on each occasion I entered the hotel, which was reassuring.
The bedroom didn't meet my expectation, although clean, tidy and a reasonable size, it was not as modern as the public areas, I would describe it as dated, and showed some wear and tear.
The swimming area was really well presented and quite considering the busy city location, towels were provided. There is a snack bar located next to the pool area and a changing area. The gym is well equip and air conditioned it also has a changing area, which was extreamly clean with showers, a sauna and steem room.
The bar, snack bar and resturant are very expensive when comparing the prices to other eating establishments as was the hotel. However the food was nice with a good menu, something for all including children. The staff were very polite and attentive, maybe a little to much at times. Breakfast is excellent a great varity of hot and cold items, Buffett style.
Over all, a little expensive but would stay again if I was visiting Kenya.

• Stayed November 2011
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to write to us; it was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests’ expectations.

We have noted your fine comments about our team members which I have gladly shared with them as well as the great look of the lobby and variety and quality of our buffet menus and also the tight security measures put in place. With regards to condition of rooms, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We thank you for this great feedback which confirms that you enjoyed your stay in all aspects. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Abu Dhabi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I was little bit surprised since my expectations were maybe too high. Probably if you lower your expectations from ''real'' Hilton standards, you may be just satisfied. Location is also not the best one from security point of view and if you do not have local friend or tour guide accompanying you, do not even try going out of the hotel. Service is not bad, sometime slow but this is compensated by friendliness of the staff. Would I come back again? This is the question....

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are better
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment regarding security and are very sorry that the atmosphere in the vicinity of the hotel did not meet your expectation during your recent stay. However, we have enhanced our security around the hotel to highest levels to ensure that all our guests feel as safe as possible.

With regards to the slow service, I apologize for the inconvenience caused as this is not acceptable as per the Hilton standards. I have shared your crucial comments with all team members concerned for corrective measures to be taken. However I am pleased to note that our team members’ friendliness complimented your stay and like to thank you for your fine comment.

Yours sincerely,

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!