“Not a 5 star hotel!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Canberra, Australia
“Not a 5 star hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights while attending a conference so did not choose this hotel myself. Firstly, it is located right in the centre of the city in a very congested area so whenever you go anywhere it takes forever.
I upgraded my room to the executive floor and the room was beautiful: spacious, clean and comfortable. On the first night, however, I noticed that I could hear the lift all night from my room. The next day I asked to change rooms and the very friendly and helpful reception staff could not have beem more obliging. However, I was shocked to find that this room was even worse because it was right next to the service elevator. Looking at the plan of the hotel behind the door I then realised that the building is round and the lift shaft is in the middle so no matter where you are you can hear the lifts going up and down allday and night. Not good for light sleepers - thank goodness for sleeping tablets! It was like being in a plane for a week.
One other starnge thing happened too. When I changed rooms I left some clothes in the first room. I called recpetion and they said they would bring them to me. I had to call seven times and it took two hours to get the clothes which I wanted to wear to the conference opening. I fonally got them at 1.58pm and my taxi was planned for 2pm. Not happy!
Breakfast was wonderful and service top class. Reception staff were friendly.I would not go back because of the lift problem. All other conference participants told me the Tribe is the best hotel in Nairobi, although it is not the same price!
There is no free wi fi.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi During your recent visit to Kenya and for telling us about your experience. We greatly appreciate any feedback received from our guests and always strive to improve further on highest quality and service standards.

I do appreciate the fine compliments you have made about our Front Desk team member' friendliness and helpfulness, top class service and good breakfast. It is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
We have noted your comment with regards of the noise emanating from the elevator despite having changed rooms, I am very sorry indeed if we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay and for the inconvenience caused to you, however I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel which will drastically reduce the noise.
I have noted with regret that after a room change, you had to make several calls for your clothes to be delivered to you. You have my sincerest apologies for this rare occurrence, however am not able to investigate this matter because of lack of your vital information. Kindly give us more information through the undersigned address and I will be able to give you proper feedback.
Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Heid KleineMoeller

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
Lund
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

You get what you pay for. Hilton Nairobi is a good business hotel, despite lack of stamps, in perfect central location. The rooms are not big but quite charming. Though they eed some refurbishment not to loose some stars. Bathrooms are normal but perhaps they need some more cleaning, at least mine. But it is acceptable. The restaurant is poor with bad setting and not very inspiring food, so is the café. So don´t eat there. The bar is boring. But´there are a lot of places nearby and I found the area quite safe. The pool area is great and the pool is quite big. The view from the upper floors is great over central Nairobi.
The staff is great and very heltfull with almost everything
But now to the stamps. Why don´t they sell stamps at the hotel?? The staff sent me to a shop in the lobby but they didn´t sell stamps to me without buying a wood elephant.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

Although we did not have stamps to sell to you, I am glad to note your good compliments about our facility, especially the pool area and the size of the swimming pool. I also have the pleasure to advise you that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.
Your experience at one of our shops, not selling stamps without buying something else, is unacceptable, and please rest assured, that I personally have taken up this matter. You have my profound apologies.
Regarding bathroom cleanliness, your feedback was shared with our executive housekeeper immediately to put corrective measures in place to ensure such occurrences will not happen in future again.
We have also noted your comment that our restaurant setting is poor, bar is boring and lack of inspiring food. I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
Nevertheless, we appreciate the good comment about our team members. Believe me, it is comment such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Bloomington, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Ok. Not the nicest Hilton property I've ever stayed at , but also not the most cosmopolitan of cities. We stayed here twice - once before and once after Safari. After a week of travel to places where lets just say there are no Hiltons and won't be for the foreseeable future. It is as the other reviews suggest - a bit dated. But the staff is wonderful. Super helpful. Gracious. The Jockey Pub is pretty good. We ordered Samosas as an app. They were so good we ordered more as dinner. Adjust your expectations a bit and you'll be fine. In a city and a country that seems to be trying to find itself again it is a safe oasis for travelers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi during your recent visit to Kenya and for telling us about your experience. We greatly appreciate any feedback received from our guests and always strive to improve further on highest quality and service standards.

We do appreciate the fine compliments you make about the team members' hospitality which I have gladly shared with them. We also note your good comment about our jockey club, delicious bitings and dinner. We thank you for your confirmation that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
Although our property is a bit dated, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel.

Maastricht
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed at the hilton for a total of 3 nights .First time in a standart room ,second time i got un upgrade to an executive room which was much better.
I have to say that the hotel is quite old and outdated ,in need of refurbishment.
The room the bed,the bath tiles is from the 70`. The staff was great ,very well trained and behaved.The hotel is heavily guarded ,metal detectors,barriers lots of security guards etc. I ate at the traveller restaurant one night,the food was very good and delicious.
The taxi transfer from the airport for me was 20 USD,which is quite alot i think .When i went to take my suitcase,which did not arrive with me but on the following day i bargained 25 USD from the hotel to the airport and back. So if you are good you could get a better price. The area around the hotel is quite good during the day i found it quite interesting,you have the shops and offices on one side and the real stuff on the other where you could experience africa in a more authentic way. we went to the Carnivore restaurant on the last day which is quite a good place ,although i was expecting even more exotic meats.
So in general the hotel is good but i would not give it 5 stars.It is a very good option for a first time visitor to nairobi though ,since it is very safe and well guarded.
And yes i will stay there again next time i go to nairobi.

Room Tip: the executive rooms are obviously better
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

We have noted your comment with regards to the status of our facility and need for renovation, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
We highly appreciate your compliment about the hospitality of our team members, good food in travellers restaurant and our security within the hotel. We are also pleased to learn that you liked the location. We thank you for confirming to us that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This is the most centrally located property in Nairobi with best shopping areas and malls nearby. Breakfast was lovely which is rare as we are vegetarians,and very friendly and helpful smiling staff. I had a great time....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members friendliness and warm welcome, which I have already shared with our management and teams. We are also very happy to know that you enjoyed our breakfast and as well liked the location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Ethiopia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Despite the mixed reviews I was happy with this hotel. I like the old charm and hope that when they remodel that they not loose it. The elevators were especially neat and please, don't change them. They have a lot of character.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with. We have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home as well as constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We appreciate your comment about our facility and I am glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Yours sincerely

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I am sorry to tell, but this is not what i ve expected to be as a part of the hilton chain. The entire building is poorly managed, rooms are clean but their quality is much close to a low level 2 stars hotel in the U.S rather than a 4 star international as it should be.
Bathrooms are old and poorly managed. In my case, for example, it was impossible for me to do a bath, due to the poor condition of the facility. TV was not working. Internet daily access cost 20USD for 24 hours while the competition give it for free.
Definetly a place to keep as an emergency choice, nothing else.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We have noted your comment with regards of our rooms status, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, but I have the pleasure to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Regarding internet services charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary
You also mentioned that the TV in your room was not working. I sincerely apologize for this should never be the case. Immediately our chief engineer undertook repairs and I can now confirm that its perfectly working. However, I do appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!