“Is this an Hilton?” 2 of 5 stars

Summer Sale - From $123
Ranked #39 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
“Is this an Hilton?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I am sorry to tell, but this is not what i ve expected to be as a part of the hilton chain. The entire building is poorly managed, rooms are clean but their quality is much close to a low level 2 stars hotel in the U.S rather than a 4 star international as it should be.
Bathrooms are old and poorly managed. In my case, for example, it was impossible for me to do a bath, due to the poor condition of the facility. TV was not working. Internet daily access cost 20USD for 24 hours while the competition give it for free.
Definetly a place to keep as an emergency choice, nothing else.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We have noted your comment with regards of our rooms status, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, but I have the pleasure to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Regarding internet services charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary
You also mentioned that the TV in your room was not working. I sincerely apologize for this should never be the case. Immediately our chief engineer undertook repairs and I can now confirm that its perfectly working. However, I do appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

594 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I like to be reasonable when reviewing anything but on this occasion I feel compelled to be forthright. I stayed here on a business trip back in July and cannot understand why it has so many good reviews. In a nutshell, for the price this hotel is a disgrace, trading on the Hilton name at prices that are simply extraordinary for what you get (for all the wrong reasons). The rooms are small, dank, dark and with decor from the 1980s (if not earlier).

I wouldn't mind so much if it cost £30/night (which is what you'd pay Travelodge) but $200 USD? Seriously, the condition of the rooms is no better than Travelodge. How Hilton can do this is beyond me. I think a lot of people probably stay here because they're on the Hilton rewards program but given the condition of the place I really wouldn't bother. Hilton really need to refurbish this Hotel or drop the prices, anything else is naked opportunism (lack of decent competition) and makes me want to avoid Hiltons from now on.

I would have given in 1 star were it not for the very polite, attendant staff and decent restaurant (which is expensive by the way).

Stay at the Nairobi Sankara which my colleagues tell me an amazing place and has rightly won awards.

Room Tip: Stay away from smoking rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted, and agree with your comment that our property is dated and needs refurbishment, and I have the pleasure to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. As we cannot know when exactly you did stay with us, it is highly likely that the hotel experienced high occupancy levels as September as a whole was a busy period in Nairobi, and prices do fluctuate with the level of occupancy. A USD 30 dollar rate one cannot find in Nairobi I am afraid.

We thank you for fine compliments you make about the restaurant and the hospitality of our team members, which I have personally shared with them, and we do appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Martin Voskamp
Guatape, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

After a 24 hours journey from Ethiopia, we have decided to splurge at Hilton and recharge our spirit. Location, breakfast, lobby, and staff were perfect. However, the rooms were a bit blend, old, and small. It's not terrible. But I thought for what we paid, the room would be a little better. I guess hotels in Nairobi is overall towards the pricey side. The next best one after Hilton might be Meridian which we spent the next night at. Get the deluxe suite. Not bad for the value.

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.
We have noted your comment with regards to our property status and the prices charged. As we cannot know when exactly you did stay with us, it is highly likely that the hotel experienced high occupancy levels as September as a whole was a busy period in Nairobi, and prices do fluctuate with the level of occupancy. As for the blend rooms qualification, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come
We have also noted your positive comments about our team members hospitality, breakfast and the lobby. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We place great value on your custom and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Martin Voskamp
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Well located and reflective of the Hilton standard..a little tired, but a standout in Nairobi. Rooms aren't great and you just get the sense it trades on location and name alone and is kept busy by the business clientele and other official visitors to the city.

It's clean, facilities are good and if you need to spend some time in downtown Nairobi this will do...bland but beats its uninspiring competitors

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 29, 2011

We thank you for the positive comment you have made about our property and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With regards of our hotel being a little tired, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Grantham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Hilton prices, motel quality!

The rooms are tiny, cramped and old. The bathroom fixture were hanging of the wall, light fitting held together with plastic straps and the ceiling had mould growing on it.

When I complained I was asked what I expected as the building was old.

Again,breakfast and internet access were an extra charge!!

Avoid this like the plague.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
I’d like to thank you indeed for staying with us during your recent visit to Nairobi and likewise for taking the time to share your valued and very detailed feedback with us.

We have noted your comment with regards of our hotel rooms being tiny, cramped and old, I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; I am however pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

With regards to bathroom fixture hanging off the wall, light fitting held together with plastic straps and the ceiling having mould growing on it, immediately our engineering and
housekeeping team undertook an inspection of the entire hotel rooms but could not trace any room with the above description. Kindly be kind enough and advise us about the room numbers to enable us to carry out the necessary repairs and as well investigate who could have strapped the light fitting which, apart from it not being a Hilton standard, is a safety risk.

Regarding internet charges I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

We indeed appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

First time in Kenya, so wanted a secure, clean hotel. That is exactly what we got. The rooms are clean and tidy, staff are very friendly, and the security is good to see. There are even airport style metal detectors on the door.

Good basic facilities that you would expect.

The only thing I found staying on the pool level was that the corridor outside your room has slatted vents onto the road. So was a little noisy although did not stop me sleeping well.

Note: As you are in the heart of the city, traffic is very very busy, so when getting to the hotel you should account for this.

Room Tip: Pool rooms mean you get a nice view from your patio, good if you want to swim or do some work at the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We thank you for your comment that being your first time here in Kenya, we have been able to meet your expectation in terms of cleanliness and security. We also appreciate the fine compliments you have made about the hospitality of our team members, which was my upmost pleasure to share with the management and team members

Likewise, you have mentioned that though you slept well, there was noise due to the slatted vents into the road, which you have my sincerest apologies. I am however pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with all our services as well as your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Please be assured, your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

________________________________________
Hollviken, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Hospitality of people working in Hilton Nairobi is something that makes this hotel 5* more than anything else.
Yes, rooms are clean and nice (I do not think furniture is really like 5* in Europe, but it was fine for me, always clean and tidy), there is everything you need, great food, pool, beauty center (coffee scrub is amazing!), but I will repeat again... HOSPITALITY OF THE PEOPLE is something that I will always remember this hotel for.
Thanks to all those smiled faces, start of my Kenyan trip was memorable!

When it comes to prices, compared to European 5*, this one is affordable.

I am giving top rating, as for me - their deserved it.

Room Tip: I experienced room on pool level, and it was great for me. Maybe I got time when not many people wer...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests’ expectations.

We have noted with delight your memorable stay with us. We appreciate your kind feedback about the hospitality of our team, cleanliness of the rooms, the food and overall value for your money. We are more than glad to share your compliments with the entire Hilton Team.

We are grateful for your positive comments and believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!