“Showing Age, But Still Very Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #39 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Los Angeles, California
“Showing Age, But Still Very Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

The Nairobi Hilton's picture on its website is somewhat creatively photographed, and looks a bit more dated that it appears in the evening light with its city lights and sunset background. The hotel is located downtown (expansive) and in an area that I would not walk after sunset. Views from the hotel are anything but pleasant. Nairobi is not picturesque, so don't expect to see a lovely vista.

That said, upon arrival, I was greeted by a very friendly staff who were proactive to assist me. While checking in I inquired about the purchase of a SIM card and time units, when the receptionist said "we can send someone across the street to get it". The Concierge dispatched a runner and within 20 minutes it was in my hand. Then they assisted me to set up the phone and I was good to go.

The room was on the 14th (Executive Level) and well-appointed with king bed, sofa, cable TV, safe, typical Hilton desk clock/radio that one sees in any Hilton property. The sofa and drapes were showing their age, but appeared to be in good repair and clean. The bathroom was clean and well equipped.

The Travelers Restaurant served an excellent buffet breakfast with a complete assortment of fruit, bread, European breakfast, and American-style as well. Service was quick, extremely friendly, and very attentive.

The health club has 3 treadmills, stationary bikes, some free weights, on-site trainer, exercise room and scheduled classes, mens/women's lockers, showers, and dry and wet saunas.

I did not visit the pool.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We note with delight about your experience with our front desk team members on your arrival. It is so amazing to see how much they valued you as our esteemed guest and how far they can stretch to ensure our guests satisfaction. It was my pleasure to share your compliments with them and the management.

Appreciate the fact that you enjoyed the room that you were booked in, the facilities that are clean and well maintained though old, a well equipped bathroom and health club, with a trainer, scheduled classes, well organised with lockers for men and women, showers, dry and wet saunas.

Likewise, we have noted your good feedback about variety of choices of food served in our restaurant as well as your kind comments about the hospitality of our service team members, which I have as well shared with them.

We thank you for your confirmation that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Well maintained hotel, caught in a bit of a time warp, the fittings were old, but the room was comfortable, and the bathroom worked well.
The food in the Italian section of the restaurant, was good and roomservice breakfast (at 5am) was excellent. All the staff we encountered were very helpfull.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted, and agree, your comment that though our property is dated, the rooms are comfortable and bathrooms well maintained. I have the pleasure to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Likewise, you enjoyed our Italian food as well as the rooms service breakfast which was served at 5.00 am. We also appreciate the fine compliments you make about the hospitality of our team members, which I have personally shared with them; thank you for your confirmation that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We booked a meeting for 30 senior managers for 5 days in June. While the meeting arrangements were well organised, the after billing was just awful. Participants were billed for meeting attendances when they had already left the country before that date, Wrong charges galore - senior management did not really care to solve the issues Never a meeting in this hotel again. However, the house keeping and restaurant staff were very attentive. Rooms average and food ordinary. Would not recommend for corporate funstions

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, as you have mentioned in your Tripadvisor comments. As I have explained to you in my earlier, private letter, the Hilton Nairobi upholds integrity in all transactions and dealings with our esteemed guests, including your organisation, and I regret to see you choose to address this now in this manner.

Nevertheless, we appreciate the fine compliments you make about our Housekeeping and restaurant staff hospitality, which was my upmost pleasure to share with the management and team members.

Martin Voskamp
Pine Mountain, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed at the Nairobi Hilton for a week to attend business meetings held in their conference center, and for the weekend to relax afterward. The hotel is an older, classic building located in the center of Nairobi – it has two restaurants, an excellent coffee shop, a pool and fitness center, business center and meeting rooms, as well as shopping in/adjacent to the hotel.

It must be said that my initial impression of the Nairobi Hilton service wasn’t good. As a single woman traveling alone, I had reserved transportation from the airport to the hotel, and the Hilton representative who had my flight information (arriving 8:15) put me on the 9pm shuttle. My flight was on time, I had purchased a Kenyan visa before leaving the US (which was supposed to save me time), and it still took me more than an hour to clear immigration. As a result, the Hilton shuttle left without me. There was no red-jacketed Hilton representative to greet me (as had been promised, “no matter what”), no message for me, no other arrangements made for my transportation to the hotel. So after 20+ hours of travel, I was forced to deal with a feeding frenzy of sketchy people trying to get me into their cabs, and I was quite lucky to be rescued by a safari guide who called and confirmed that the Hilton representative had left and then arranged a taxi for me at the same price as the Hilton had quoted for the shuttle. So first off, I’d recommend that Hilton guests book a dedicated car/limo that will wait for them no matter how long the immigrations lines are – the Hilton shuttle clearly isn’t reliable. After an experience like that, I expected that the front desk would at least offer to pay for my taxi or to upgrade my room when I checked in, but all I got was an apology from the front desk clerk for “my trouble”, which leads me to believe that this is a common occurrence and/or the Hilton doesn’t actually own its shuttle service so it doesn’t take responsibility for it.

Fortunately things got much better after that. My room was a standard Queen, non-smoking (611), with a wall of large windows and a very interesting street view. The room was adequate in size but not large, and the furniture/bathroom fixtures showed some wear, but everything was very clean. The usual high end Hilton mattresses and flat screen TV’s were not in evidence, but otherwise the room appointments were quite nice – including a mini-bar, coffee/tea service with biscuits, and designer soaps/shampoos. Internet was free with my room, even though the initial Hilton connection required that I sign up with a 3rd party service provider that would charge my room for internet use. Apparently the hotel simply removes those internet charges from your bill if internet service is included in your package. Breakfast was also included with my room: there is a very large breakfast buffet from 0630-1030, but if you need to eat earlier than 0630, ask about having breakfast delivered to your room.

Now to the service part: Upon arrival I asked the bell hop about ice and although one usually calls room service for this, he had ice delivered to my room within minutes. When I received a rose on my room service dinner tray and decided to keep it in a glass of water on the bedside table, I returned to my room later and found a small basket of roses by my bedside, which was refreshed twice during my stay. When I needed to leave early for a Saturday game drive, and decided to just grab a cappuccino in the lobby coffee shop, the gentleman at the front desk told me to please go and sit down in the restaurant, where I could have the cappuccino for free and take a few minutes to eat something. They assured me that they’d send my driver to find me in the restaurant when he arrived. Sure enough, by the time I walked across the lobby, the front desk had already called the restaurant and they were getting me a cappuccino. When I needed a taxi to the National Museum, the Doorman not only had a taxi waiting, but he arranged the fare and had the same driver return for me at a specific time to ensure that I had safe service back to the hotel. In addition, the Hilton travel agents (Marble Travel) were absolutely wonderful. On my only day off, Marble Travel arranged an early morning Nairobi National Park game drive and a visit to the Sheldrick Trust (both highly recommended) at a very reasonable price. The Marble travel agent met me in the lobby and introduced me to my driver, who was both knowledgeable and very pleasant.

The Hilton room service was very good – helpful, fast, accurate, and tasty. Tea, coffee and snack service in the business conference rooms was also exceptionally friendly and helpful. The Traveller’s restaurant specializes in huge and diverse buffet meals, which include Kenyan foods as well as international favorites. The buffet food varies from good to excellent depending upon the dishes chosen. But for a truly relaxed and fun meal, I highly recommend the Jockey Pub, where the décor is warm and very British, the service is attentive, the food is excellent, and you can see soccer, rugby, cricket (or nothing) depending upon your choice of table.

All in all, this is an older Hilton hotel whose physical plant could use some upgrading, but whose staff is to die for! Colleagues of mine attending the same business meetings at the Hilton stayed at the Intercontinental hotel, a 10 minute walk away. I got the sense from them that their rooms may have been more upscale, but the service they received was not as personal as what I experienced at the Hilton.

Room Tip: All rooms have double glazed windows, so there is really no street noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment about your experience on arrival at the airport, having bought a Kenyan visa before leaving US to enhance quick clearance at the immigration office, you took more than an hour to clear and as a result our shuttle left you behind; however if I may I take this opportunity to explain that our shuttle operates within the scheduled time to minimize waiting time and has we had three other guests waiting at the same time to leave for the hotel, the shuttle left with our airport representative after half an hour of waiting. Nevertheless, I owe you my sincerest apologies that our contracted taxi company “Kenatco” was not available as instructed, to give you an immediate assistance when leaving immigrations.
It is with much regret we have learnt that lately, the company team has not been able to execute their responsibility as expected leading to such complain from our guests. We have scheduled a meeting with them to resolve the issue and avoid such complains in future.

Likewise, we have noted your good comments about our property, the facilities, food, service rendered to you at the hotel and fine compliments about our team members hospitality, which was my upmost pleasure to share with the management and team members. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Please be assured, your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel with our 4 children for a 1 night stop-over in Nairobi.
We were met immediately at the airport and promptly dirven to the hotel.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, but still in need of some upgrading,which I believe is in the planning. We had a great dinner and beautiful buffet breakfast at the main dining room.
What we were most impressed with, however was the friendliness of the staff. They really provide a warm and welcoming environment and go above and beyond the call of duty to help you.
We were very impressed and would chose to stay there again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us ; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We have noted your comment that our rooms are old and in need of some renovation, which I have the pleasure to advise that we are indeed in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However we are pleased to note that you and your family felt comfortable and as well you enjoyed our dinner and buffet in our restaurants.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members friendliness and warm welcome, which I have already shared with our management and teams. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Cheyenne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My 24 yr. old daughter and I were traveling to Kenya to work at an orphanage in Nakuru for a week. Rightly or wrongly, we were advised not to travel or go out after dark. We arrived in Nairobi in the early evening and needed a place to stay that night before going to Nakuru the next day. The Hilton was perfect. It is in downtown Nairobi, but was a quiet oasis from the noise of the City. The rooms were what you would expect from a western hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. They had a full service restaurant at which we ate both meals. It served our needs very well and I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We highly appreciate the fine compliments you have made about our property and our hospitality, which we have shared with our team immediately. It is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011 via mobile

Came over this eve to have a drink n meet a business patner who is a health club member,1st meeting venue was occupied n had to move to the bar,b4 getting there a security officer approches n asks realy out of the world Qs n says we r not welcome,this is 2011,dnt judge pple by luks,finally they wnt sell to as bcoz the 3rd party who is their gym member is not yet there,n they need to clarify if he actually is,wat crap is this,its 'HOSPITALITY' i thot.had to leave n go to The intercontinental where i am welcome n i can have a peaceful drink.was concidering gym membership but not anymore

• Stayed September 2010
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us to share your valuable feedback. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment that you were judged and treated according to your looks. I sincerely owe you an apology if any of our team members acted with such arrogance and unprofessionalism; but I would wish to categorically state that security checks are done to all guests across the board therefore you should not have felt intimidated or harassed. Meanwhile, I have shared this information with our Chief Security Officer to investigate and ensure such situation does not recur again in the future.

You also mentioned that you were coming to see one of our health club member and the meeting venue was occupied and therefore you were moved to the bar. I wish to confirm that a meeting venue can hardly be substituted with a bar therefore this was not a formal meeting. If no meeting room was offered due to availability, I kindly ask you to make arrangements I little bit further in advance, and I can ensure you, that we do everything possible to book a proper venue for you.

We have also noted your comment that our team members sort to confirm if the health Club members was actually there, before they could sell anything to you. May I explain that this will only happen in a case where you mention the health club member as the person ‘paying off the bills’.

We look forward to having another opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!