“Only a cut above basic room but overall good service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From $123
Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Singapore, Singapore
“Only a cut above basic room but overall good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here at the end of my Safari/Kilimanjaro trek as I wanted to be in luxury for my last night in Kenya. I wouldn't describe this hotel as a luxury hotel, it was pretty basic and what I would normally consider expensive. But you are in Africa and actually having staff with good customer service skills was welcome, despite the room being so basic.

Overall recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
hiltonnairobi, Ddirector of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

Although we did not fully meet your expectation, I am glad to note your good compliments about our team members hospitality, which was a pleasure to share with them. Regarding the luxury of our hotel, I would like to take this opportunity as well to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.
Hence we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to present to you our new product hopefully soon.

Director of Operations

586 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Centrally located, the Hilton is in a perfect place for movement around Nairobi. It's within walking distance to most of the major sites in Nairobi (or at least from the POV of a tourist).

The facilities are good, there's a swimming pool which I didn't use but the fitness centre is really quite well equipped. Good to unwind after a safari, or rejuvenate before a safari.

The rooms however, are really quite old and in need of a renovation. The A/C seems a bit dated and doesn't cool the room very well.

Room Tip: Loved the pool deck!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment that our rooms are quite old and need renovation and the AC also seemed as it wasn’t not cooling effectively. I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Meanwhile, immediate air conditioning repairs have been undertaken by our Chief Engineer and I can now confirm that it is effectively working. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We are glad to note the compliment you have made about our facility, swimming pool and fitness centre, which is a confirmation that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Director of Operations
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I think this is the 5th time I have stayed here and sadly things have gotten worse.
At check in the Hilton Honors desk was unmanned, meaning a queue to register. Unfortunately despite it being 4pm, the room was not ready, although reception did arrange free coffee whilst I waited the 30 minutes.
The room was little more than adequate and certainly showed its age. The bathroom fittings and tiles were especially poor. Also the rooms could do with more noise insulation - you can hear the neighbouring room quite clearly. However the beds are comfortable and the linen is clean and relatively new. Internet access is cabled but is not cheap - about 12 Euro a day.
The restaurant buffet was of very poor standard, with unappetising food and poor presentation. Breakfast was better but still not up to Hilton standards. Warm fruit juice, unattended egg counter, pork products mixed with others (doesn't worry me but one would expect the staff to be more culturally aware).
Traditionally the bar has been good but for some reason the staff seem lazy. It took forever to get a drink and even longer to sign the bill with staff disappearing half way through serving. As a result I tried the pool bar only to find it had closed early.
I am not sure what has transpired as the hotel had been getting better over the last couple of years, but if it were not for Hilton Points, I would not be staying again. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the elevator area - they are noisy.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment that our HHonor’s desk was unmanned and your room was not ready upon arrival therefore you had to wait for 30 minutes, I sincerely apologize for this should not be the case. I have shared this information with our Front Desk manager to put corrective measures in place and ensure this does not happen again.

We also note your comment with regards of our room status, I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; I am however pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Regarding internet charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Likewise, we have noted your comment about our buffet, breakfast, presentation of our food items and the conduct of our bar staff. You have my profound apologies for this terrible experience. I have shared this information with our Executive Chef and Food and Beverage manager to retrain all our service team members on our Brand Service Standard. However, we appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Though we were not able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Los Altos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I wrote to the hotel in advance to get a cab to pick us up from the airport after our over seas flights from the US. The Hilton rep was there waiting for us after customers and arranged a cab for us at a very reasonable price. The hotel is in a great location in central Nairobi. As part of staying on the executive floors, the business center and honors lounge are included. That means free internet, breakfast and happy hour. The rooms are old but very adequate. We were greeted with some crackers and a fruit basket. We stayed there at the beginning and end of our trip. The staff is excellent, very accomodating and customer service orientated. As our flight left at 11pm they extended our checkout time many hours which was very convenient. It is safe to walk around their during the day but need to take cabs at night. The hotel recommended two excellent restaurants and made reservations for us: Trattoria- owned and operated by an Italian and TAMARIND, a superb seafood place. (Trattoria doesn't take credit cards.) We didn't eat at the hotel but used the health club facilities. The workout room could use more fans/circulation but otherwise was fine. Check with the bell captain as to cab charges in advance. The bellmen knew more than the front desk people in terms of cost of cabs and location of places. It's a good idea if you are coming to the hotel from someplace else to ask the hotel the cost of the cab ride as you may need to negotiate.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you enjoyed your reception upon arrival, our facilities and especially our team members hospitality throughout your stay, I Id liked to thank you for your fine comments. It was my pleasure to share you kind feedback with our entire team. It is wonderful to see that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Regarding our rooms need for upgrade and our health club needing a better circulation, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth. And for that, we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

port stanley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed night 1 in Comfort Hotel an all out dive for a higher price than the Hilton. Hilton is better located....cappuccino bar, pool, CLEAN beds and hot water shower.
We absolutely loved it and staff was 1st rate.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to excecutive but I dont know why. Not complaining. It was so great!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
We thank you for taking the time to write to us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note your positive comment regarding our bar, pool, cleanliness and facilities and we highly appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with them. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Heidi Kleine Moeller
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I checked in to Nairobi Hilton on 27th of July for a COMESA Cotton to Clothing regional strategy meeting. On 28th after attending the meeting at IVORY meeting room on the 1st floor, I forgot my laptop in the meeting room with my mobile phone and many keys in the laptop bag and left the room around 6:00 PM.
I came back around 9:00PM after going out to shopping.
When I came back, the laptop was not there. I checked with security people around and nothing came out. Then one security gentlemen came, his name is CYRUS ONDIEKI. I am amazed by the carrying and so professional services that I witnessed from this individual.
He managed the case very carefully, taking each and every steps very carefully and professionally. After going through 3 hours of intensive investigation both in physical visits of meeting places and my room and investigating the CCTV recorded for around three (3) hours, finally we sow a friend of mine taking care of the laptop taking to his room.
I am so satisfied and amazed by the services provided by the hotel though Mr. ONDIEKI.

Kindly;
Endalkachew Sime

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We have noted your gratitude to our team member Mr. Cyrus Ondieki who assisted you to recover the laptop that was left behind in our meeting room and it was our upmost pleasure to forward your fine comments with him. We also do appreciate the patience exercised by yourself throughout the investigation procedure. Hilton strives to ensure that our guest are well taken care off in all aspects including their own safety and security of their items.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel was nice enough, clean but very old. Hasn't been updated in 20 years probably. Restaurants are ok, but don't expect fast service. Staff was very nice overall. I would probably look to stay somewhere else if I come to Nairobi again, but would stay here if I had to.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

We have noted your comment with regards to the status of our facility, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
We appreciate your compliment about our room suites and restaurant and hospitality of our team members and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Heidi KleineMoeller

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!