“Good Hotel in Central Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #39 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
New York City, New York
“Good Hotel in Central Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Stayed here on two separate times. Consistent service, good check in staff..(Moses very competent and courtly gentleman). On the second tinme around the staff were very personable and held their cool when some Indian Diplomat guests made an axx of themselves. Good training

Breakfast was very good too. Internet a rip off at $20.00 a day. Dont make phone calls from here. Get a cheap phone from SafariCom and a sim card for kshs 50/- or US0.50 cents and 1 cent a minute for calls to the USA or UK.
Rooms a little dated but clean and tidy. Hotel overlooks the City Centre. Good show!!

Room Tip: Dated but ok
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
hiltonnairobi, Director Of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of our internet charges, and I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Nevertheless, we highly appreciate the fine comments you made about our consistent service, good breakfast and hospitality of our team members and it was my upmost pleasure to share your kind feedback with our teams. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Heidi KleineMoeller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Pretty standard chain hotel, average furnishings and service, decent sized rooms, good location

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We appreciate the fine comment you make about our property and our hospitality, which is a confirmation that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I'm Nairobi every month or two for business and usually stay at the Fairview or the Country Lodge, but both were booked this trip. The Stanley was recommended but far too expensive for just a bed and a bar, so I opted for the Hilton.

What an incredible mistake. Nearly double the price of the Country Lodge but with neither breakfast nor free internet ($16/day and slower than the CLodge's free link and I had to fix the wiring myself). 50% higher than the Fairview but without the atmosphere nor the great restaurants.

Nairobi has one of the best climates in the world, but the windows at the Hilton don't open and the A/C is louder than a V8.

All of this is par for any major Africa city and I'm fine with it. But what motivates me to complain is the $15 gin and tonic at the bar. This is wrong on so many levels. Insult to injury is that it was the cheap gin too! I will never ever return to this scam of a 70s monstrosity again and will never recommend it to a friend or foe. Just because of one rip-off too far.

Fairview and Country Lodge: I'm so sorry for have not booked sooner. Lesson well learned.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
We like to thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Nairobi and for the time taken to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of our internet charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Regarding the price of our Gin and tonic at the bar, I’d like to inform you that we are at par with other 5 star hotels in Nairobi, however the local bars around the hotel will definitely be cheaper. Regarding the gin quality, we have a variety of gins available to choose from. We regret the one you were served was not as per your expectation.

Likewise we have noted that the AC in your room was louder, and I am sorry indeed for this should not be the case. However I have shared this information with our Chief engineer to check all the hotel rooms for the noise levels and service / repair them accordingly.

As for the rates, we appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Albrightsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton for both Pre and Post nights stay in June as part of a safari package. We felt the hotel was convenient, clean, and served our needs. We asked upon arrival for a higher floor room than we were initially given, and had no problem getting the same 17th floor room with a view both times! The room was very nice and comfortable. We had an early breakfast one morning in the restaurant before leaving on safari and they weren't too keen on letting us in 5 minutes early, but we convinced them to anyways. We also requested a pre-boxed breakfast as we had a very early start to the airport on our last day given to us. We had ordered chicken sandwiches with fries from the Cafe American 2 different times which was very good and reasonably priced. We were too tired for a sit down meal and brought it up to our room. Overall, we had a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor upon arrival.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We do appreciate the good compliments you make about our hotel rooms cleanliness and comfort and the food in our restaurants. It is with pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with your overall experience, believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I have stayed at the New Stanley and have had dinner at the Fairview Hotel, but this time it was most convenient for me to be at the Hilton. Some of the reviews have been negative about the Nairobi Hilton so I want to say that I had a great time and the cost was reasonable. I prepaid my hotel stay for a substantial discount on the listed price for the room, and since it was off-season and perhaps because I was well behaved, the management gave me an ungrade after one night. But the original room was fine. The upgraded room had a wonderful view of Nairobi. I took pictures and will post them on the boissevain.us site at some point. I had a lunch for about 10 people by the pool and it was efficiently handled. I have been warned about mugging in the downtown area, especially after dark, but I wandered freely at all hours and was subjected at worst to some aggressive begging. The area inside the Hilton barrier is super-safe and the downtown area requires some alertness but to my mind is hugely safer than it was on my visits in 1965, 1969 and 1996. One curious thing I noticed is that the well-equipped Business Center was empty while I was there, yet three Internet Cafes directly across the road from the hotel were jammed with users. One reason might be the one-shilling-per-minute cost at the the three Internet Cafes. The current exchange rate makes that a little more than one cent per minute! Hard for the Hilton to beat. The Hotel Internet is free for some guests, but not for me.

Room Tip: Specify higher floor overlooking City Hall.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi once again and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We do appreciate your honest compliments about reasonable costs, our rooms with a wonderful view and the handling of lunch at the pool; we highly appreciate your positive comments and that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Likewise, you mentioned that our business centre was empty probably because of internet cost as well as offer this service free to some guests. I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Just so I'm clear - this is a nice hotel. The staff is helpful, the restaurant is nice, it's wonderfully situated and it is kept very clean. Nairobi has so many hotel offerings (Tribe, Serena, InterContinental) that it's hard to compete, especially with how run-down this hotel looks from the outside. Fortunately, the inside is much nicer than the outside, but I think Hilton should look at renovating its African hotels (Addis is similarly depressing to look at). You couldn't ask for a better location in my opinion, though - it is smack in the middle of the city and most things are within walking distance. It is in a safe part of downtown for the most part, so as long as you're smart it's a great place to explore from.
So, in sum:
The good:
-excellent location
-nice food
-very good service

The bad:
-you could do better

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

We have noted your comment with regards to the condition of our Hotel, I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; I am however pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we do appreciate your feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Nevertheless we also do appreciate the positive comment you make about our team members hospitality, restaurant , cleanliness of our rooms and the location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We look forward to having another opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With kind regards.

Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed here on our arrival to Nairobi. The lounge is nice but the rooms and remainder of hotel needs to be updated. Breakfast was good (buffet style). Bathrooms were clean and not as outdated as the room. Internet is not free. There is a bank in the lobby where you can cange your money. Decent place to stay for transit prior to going out on Safaris

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, June 24, 2011

We have noted your comment that our hotel rooms need to be updated, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guest

Regarding free internet access, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Nevertheless, I do highly appreciate your positive comment about our hotel lounge and our good buffet breakfast. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!