“A bit dated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Woking UK
“A bit dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst attending a conference at another hotel. Have to agree with most reviewers that the rooms are dated and a bit tired. Not really what I expect from Hilton. The bed was a bit firm, but - worse - the pillows were like concrete - all four of them. My bathroom had shampoo, and hand cream, but no shower gel. The coffee was provided for one night and never replenished for the other two nights I was there. Just little things, but basic. And getting them wrong isn't the way to get a good review here. That said - as others have mentioned - the staff were terrific, so hats off to them.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor - avoid the street noise
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to tell us why our services failed to meet your expectation. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment that our rooms are dated, and beds and pillows are too firm, I am sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay and for the discomfort you experienced; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel.

Likewise we have also noted that shower gel was missing in the bathroom and that coffee was provided for only one night. I sincerely apologize for this should never have been the case. However I have shared this comment with our executive housekeeper to ensure corrective measures are put in place to avoid this form happening again.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and have the pleasure to serve you again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Heidi KleineMoeller

582 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

After reading some less-than-stellar reviews here on Trip Advisor, I was surprised to enter our room and be very pleased with it. Maybe it had been recently renovated, but it was what I would expect from a Hilton. We stayed here 3 nights at the end of a wonderful trip to Kenya. The first night we used Hilton points and the next two we got a very good bed and breakfast weekend rate on the Hilton website, so our stay here was very affordable. We had a king room and it had a couch in a sitting area, so it was very comfortable for watching the royal wedding. I was disappointed that the pub, which had advertised wedding viewing on their large-screen TV, didn't open, for whatever reason. So we brought some lunch in and my husband had a nap while I watched the wedding. ;o) Breakfast was great in the restaurant, though we didn't end up eating at the hotel for any other meals. The staff was very helpful. The pool looked great, but we were too busy sightseeing to make use of it. Right across the street is the Kenyan National Archives and if you enjoy African art, you should visit there. They have a great art collection on view. We felt safe walking around the city -- we did some gift shopping at the City Mall. We walked over to the Thai restaurant at the Sarova Stanley hotel and enjoyed that. I didn't expect to like Nairobi, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would come back to the Hilton again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to write to us; it was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards for our guests.

Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet our guests expectations.

We are glad to note your all over positive comments, from our room suites and our breakfast served, to the surroundings and its safety. We also highly appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with them. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Likewise, we have noted your comment that you did not get a chance to view the royal wedding in our large screen as advertised in our Jockey pub; I have checked our records and kindly confirm that the pub was open as from 10.00 am, most likely you got there earlier. You have my profound apologies for the missed opportunity.

Once again I'd like to thank you for your honest and kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

With kind regards,

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a few nights in August 2010. The location was excellent; right in the city centre. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms need modernising as they were terrible. Very old fashioned and in need of a major refurb. I needed to request another room as the first room I was given was terrible; the lights were not even working.
Fortunately, I was told that the hotel was having a refurb this year. The hotel is very over priced for what it is, but the service is excellent.

• Stayed August 2010
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

I have noted your comment about the status of the room and the lights that were not working and we are indeed sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. However, I we are pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel.

I do appreciate the compliments you have made about the team members' friendliness and helpfulness and have gladly shared these with them. We appreciate your critical but constructive feedback; this will guide us to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

woodenbowl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

My wife and I elected to stay in the Hilton before a flight out of Kenya. We paid $260/night which seems like a lot for a double room in Nairobi. The room is tiny and in need of refurbishment. You can hear sounds of the karaoke across the street from behind the 6th floor windows. The shower is missing its head and sprays water all over the bathroom willy-nilly. The check-in service was superb and the breakfast is quite good.

Room Tip: Hilton Honors members are well-treated.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
We appreciate your feedback since this goes a long in helping us ensure that our guest expectations are met by delivering quality and consistent service all the time.

We have however noted your comments regarding the rate and apologize that this did not meet your expectations. Regarding the room, we are sincerely sorry that it was not up to standard and would like to inform you that there is progress with our master plan preparation which will factor in most of the issues that inconvenienced you during your stay.

We however are very glad to note that you were pleased with our check-in experiences which was a pleasure to share with our teams as well.

Thank you once more for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and the Hilton Worldwide.

With kind regards,

Bangalore, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

This was my first visit to Kenya and had booked Hilton. I was expected to stay in Kenya for 5-6 months for a project.
Check-in on sep 7th. Its a very old hotel, carpets are dirty, rooms are horrible I just cant believe that this is acutally a 5 star rated hilton. Not sure why hilton brand is given to such a bad hotel. The state of the hotel is very bad.
The rooms have old furniture, tables & chairs. I was upgraded to a Executive room by the duty manager because I was expected to stay for a long time.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.
The restaurants (Travellers) was excellent. I really liked the arabic nights theme.
Albeit food was excellent, there was a instance where the food prepared in the night buffet was served in the morning breakfast.
Due to all the above I checked out of the hotel and went to crowne plaza

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment about the carpets, furniture, rooms and the hotel in general. I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your recent stay, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

Your comment about our food served during the night buffet being the same food served during breakfast on the following morning was noted with concern and was shared immediately with our Executive Chef for corrective measures to be taken. This should not be the case whatsoever and we are sincerely sorry.

Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with very good experiences from the friendliness and helpfulness of the team members and at the Travellers Restaurant.

Thank you once more for you open and honest feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011 via mobile

This is 3 star accommodation at 5 star prices! The location is good if you work in finance and the staff are friendly and helpful but this is far far below what I consider to be Hiltons usual standard . The rooms are awfully dated and have even a musty smell to them. The bathrooms are unimpressive and all in all the accomidation leaves much to be desired . They are charging five star prices for two and a half star conditions . Not impressed , would not recommend .

• Stayed April 2011
hiltonnairobi, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 15, 2011

We have noted your comment that our rooms are dated, have musty smell and bathrooms not impressive, I sincerely apologize for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay. However, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. I have also shared your comment with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure proper aeration of room to remove the smell in the meantime.

I do appreciate the fine compliments you make about the team members' friendliness and have gladly shared these with them. Thank you also for your critical but constructive feedback; this will guide us to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Martin Voskamp
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

I stayed here on arrival in Nairobi. I was picked up at the airport by friendly helpful staff and the hotel arranged for my forward journey onto Nakuru utilising their preferred travel agent. This was all arranged in advance via email.

Hotel is in a great location and the food and service was excellent. The room was fairly dated however it was clean and comfortable so no complaints.

Recommended for solo travellers who may be worried about arriving in Nairobi on your own.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you enjoyed the hospitality of our team members, and appreciate the fine compliments you make about the arrangements made for your travel to Nakuru. Likewise for the food, the clean and comfortable room as well as the hotel's location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth. And for that, we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Heid KleineMoeller
Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!