“not good enough” 1 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
“not good enough”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

unfortenatly some reviewers are very right
i had a superior room , but the bathroon was like 3 square meters , last rufurnished in 1971 i think. plumbing is horrible , you heare all the bathroomnoises from the rooms next up and under you . staff is extremely unhappy , not seen one smile , checking in and out takes much to long . very safe though , but if i want to sleep in total security i would go to a police station , not to a hotel were the safety procedures are striker than in New york airport after 911 . expensive an bad breakfast . very good bed though . very expensive for the way they treat you . i dont believe they ever tried to understand the word hospitality. better try fairview , fairmont or hilton if you want this kind of hotels in the center.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Whatever you do, DON'T STAY HERE! This hotel is incredibly old, falling apart, and not up to par with regular Intercontinental Hotel standards, surprising especially since I'm paying ~$250 USD per night before taxes. Things that went wrong:

-Upon checking into the room, my internet (wired and wireless) wasn't working so they had to call an engineer here to take a couple of hours to fix it. Couldn't switch me to another room because they were full. Internet is NOT free either.
-Electric outlets randomly DO NOT WORK and cannot charge anything!
-TV initially didn't work, I had to fiddle around with the plug. The TV is also incredibly old and most of the channels do not work.
-At one point I tried to go upstairs using the elevator but no, it was broken. No sign or anything, just not working.
-Checked out the basement gym, and it was just drab and out-dated. I don't think I'm going to work out there because it's just going to make me really sad.
-Place in general is just old. I can hear things randomly creaking from unglued tiles.
-Can hear people outside in the hallway talking very clearly. Makes it hard to sleep!

I think the only redeeming factor is that the service was really nice and friendly and the hotel is located pretty centrally. That's about it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Nice hotel in the CBD with very good security. I spent a couple of nights here with 3 friends over Christmas, we arrived late around 20:00 on Christmas Eve and proceeded to check-in when the problems started. I made our reservation back in November but with Hotels.com rather than direct with the hotel, they had difficulty pulling up the reservation despite me having a copy of the reservation information and the correct credit card, at which point they told me that wasn't the card I used despite it tallying with the invoice. After a while they pulled up a reservation which was in my name but had an American address on it, we proceeded to go up to the room, but when we got into it there was only 2 beds instead of 3. I had booked a triple as there was 3 of us, not two! We called up room service and they assured us they would get another bed sent to the room while we had dinner.

The hotel has 3 different restaurants from what I could see, an Italian, Indian and the main one, at the time the Italian was closed for refurbishment, we opted for the Indian which was pretty good food, though I had a cocktail which wasn't very good. When we got back to our room over two hours later the bed still hadn't been delivered up to the room and we had to make several more calls to get this sorted out, by the time a bed arrived it was about 1am, we also needed to get further towels as there wasn't an adequate amount.

The rooms were clean and of an adequate size with A/C TV's ironing boards and laundry services. The hotel also has a pool which is a nice size and well maintained and has several bars to go to, gym, and business centre. One of my friends did enquire about the barbers as he wanted to get a wet shave and haircut and was advised by reception that it would be open at 9am in the morning. When he went down the next day he was advised the barber was off for the next 2 days!

Overall the stay was fairly enjoyable and the hotel certainly has plenty of facilities and is of a modern standard, but the service just really let the place down, staff were polite but there just seemed to be a lack of been able to get anything done. I have now got back home and found that I have been charged twice for the room so I'm now going to have to try and get this money back which is just going to be a hassle. I would probably recommend this hotel as it was fairly good value but if you can get somewhere of equal standard for the same price I would think about heading there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

This hotel enjoys a really outdated style, not up to the Intercontinental level.

We booked 2 interconnecting rooms as we have young children and we arrived the staff told us that it wasn't possible ..after arguing with them they upgraded us to a better category however we lost 1/2 hour at the checking desk while kids wanted to go to sleep.

The rooms are comfortable and the beds are excellent however the aircon is SO noisy that we couldn't sleep.

There is a playground for kids by the pool but kids are not allowed to have breakfast outside... which means that you need to have breakfast indoor while your kids play outside by the pool.. with no one to keep an eye on them or a lifeguard. I really don't get the logic...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

When the concierge at a hotel goes to the trouble of getting you a local cell phone for your week's stay, personally takes you on a walking tour of Nairobi, and then shares a meal with you at a Kenyan restaurant known only to locals, you know that you've found a home away from home. Concierge Jacob who did all those things, was just one example of a staff of overachievers who made my recent stay at the Intercontinental a joy from beginning to end. Back for the first time since 1971 when I was a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer, the Intercontinental is still in remarkably good shape with spacious rooms, a great pool for lap swimming, and a verandah restaurant that has to be one of the best in town. While it is surrounded by highways and bustling city life - which can make for a bit of noise in the rooms - the Intercontinental is an ideal jumping off spot for getting to Nairobi's must sees, like the Giraffe Center, Uhuru Park, and the Elephant Orphanage. As I prepared for my journey to Kenya to attend a wedding, concierge Jacob sent numerous emails confirming arrangements for my stay. But I couldn't know the true measure of his magnanimity or that of his colleagues at the Intercontinental until I actually arrived; Nairobi and Kenya can have no better ambassadors than they.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

This hotel is quite old but well maintaned so it has its standard. We liekd the buffet at the restaurant very much. it was on December 24th and we got our turkey there, quite good actually. The rooms is good but as always in Africa the price of the hotel is unacceptable for what you are getting. But then agian they are all in it togeather.
Service was good and friendly an food prices are ok.
Good option if you want to stay downtown Nairobi.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Spent 6 nights...had to wait in line for more than 15 minutes to check-in...and this happened in the Priority Club desk...staff were friendly (esp. Restaurant and Kitchen staff..personnel at Front Desk looked weary)...Lobby area would look like what you'd expect from an InterContinental but once you get to your room, it's a whole different story...the size and cleanliness of room were no issue...furniture were quite old and needs to go..had torn curtains with duct tape to "cover the holes?"..the bathroom was shocking...it felt like a bathroom you'd find in a bad hostel..it had stains all over the wall, sink, bathtub, etc...to be honest, it was kinda nasty...housekeeping were friendly too but everytime I had a request (laundry, towels, etc) it would take them at least 2-3 hours that a couple of times I completely forgot I called them in the first place...I still don't understand how guesthouses include WiFi in your US$20 room yet the InterContinental still charges this service to their guests...location was the main reason we stayed here since it was a couple of blocks from Conference Center...not a place I'd stay if I were on a Leisure trip.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!