“Nice location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
New Delhi (Delhi), India
“Nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Its situated in the heart of the city Nairobi and offers nice views. Buffet breakfast is just awesome with quite a no. of varieties. Staff though very slow in responding, but overall its a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
InterContinental_10, Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The InterContinental, Nairobi.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and please be assured that we have taken note of the slow response time in service. InterContinental Nairobi promises to deliver breakfast buffet in style and efficient service for when you are back here to stay with us.

We look forward to hosting you at the hotel in the near future.

492 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Penzance, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

We had booked connecting rooms - and had these confirmed by the hotel - only to arrive to find there were none available. No help was given to fix this problem.
The lobby was shabby, with curling up carpet and unfriendly staff.
The rooms were disgusting.... cheap and nasty, both the bath tap and the overflow cover came off in my hand. There were brown stains on the bathroom floor, mould up the walls and flaking and peeling paint. I didnt actualy want to get in the shower to wash!
The restaurant food was poor and the service really slow.
It was more like a cheap two star travel lodge. Ideal for a quick stopover but dont expect decent standards.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Like most Intercontinental, the InterCon in Nairobi was comfortable with large rooms and a stone's throw from Uhuru Park. The staff was exceptionally helpful and went out of their way to make sure that everything was fine. The hotel's has good conference facilities and several meeting rooms. The breakfast spread was large and great value for money. The hotel's security is also good which made one feel safe and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

As a business traveler, I have stayed at Intercontinental Nairobi on six different occasions. However my recent stay (Oct 2010) made it more obvious why I will not be staying at this hotel again:
Pros:
1. The waiting staff (waiters) at various restaurants throughout the hotel were great and made effort to ensure that one was well served
2. Location
Negatives:
1. Charging for internet –unlike competition in town, Intercontinental Nairobi charges (high) for internet connectivity within your room/business center. Also wireless connectivity is very low
Delayed check in: I arrived at 9:00pm and even with my "priority card membership - it took 45 minutes to check in. The excuse - the check-in lady was on training. However, there were four check-in staff manning the desk and I tell you, I have never seen such rude attitude towards guests. The check-in delay is an ongoing thing which I have experienced at this hotel during past stays
2. I was checked into a room with no lights/working phone. It is difficult to comprehend that this could happen at Intercontinental hotel but yes it did happen. It took another ten minutes to relocated me to different room
3. Not allowing quests into rooms in the evening: This policy is not even worth mentioning.
4. Duty manager: during my stay, the duty manager was very rude to me. In the past, duty manager at this hotel has been very responsive to questions, requests/complaints.
5. Creaky elevator/dirty room – I can’t explain it.
For my next trip to Nairobi, I will opt for competition.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

I stayed here for a night in September and while I had no complaints per se, I found it overpriced for what I got.

The hotel is somewhat tired and needs a refresh. The location is good for anyone wanting to be downtown and the level of security is very good. While the staff and level of service were ok, I have found staff at other hotels in Nairobi to be more friendly, and the service better.

As Im a Priorityclub member, checkin via the priorityclub desk was fine and I managed to get a room at 10am which was unexpected.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I have travelled to Asia, Pacific, Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East but I have NEVER been so disappointed by a hotel!

i have summarised my hotel experience as follows:

Check in- VERY slow! I don't really understand why because there seems to be sooo much staff at the front desk.

Room - We arrived to a hotel with 1 towel for two guests. We were not provided hand towels, bath mats, face towels or at the very least 1 more towel for the other person. We called "instant service" to rectify the issue. 45 mins later no one came. We called again. They FINALLY came 15 mins later. As a result, we were late for our dinner reservations.

The room is VERY old and definitely not the quality you expect from this prestigious hotel chain. The bathroom is rusty and poorly maintained. I have attached some photos for your perusal.

Also our room was not made up. We called and asked that they attend to it. We returned to find that housekeeping made the bed but didn't bother with anything else.

During our stay, the mini bar fridge was empty. At check out, the reception ppl asked us if we had anything from the mini bar. I can only presume that the mini bar should have been stocked?? Very poor

Main Reception Area - We needed to modify our reservations so we could stay an extra night. We made arrangements the previous night. The next morning they said they had no records. We made the arrangements again.

The following evening, the Shift Manager and Security knocked on our door wondering why we hadn't checked out!!! We advised them of our arrangements and they advised us that they had no records! We made the arrangements AGAIN!

Concierge - The concierge asked us if it was our honeymoon. We said yes. He said he would arrange a special surprise. I'm still waiting for it.

Bell Boys - I am not sure whether this is a cultural thing but I found a lot of bell boys counting their tips at the front desk. I think this is inappropriate and wrong.

Reception Bar - I ordered a cocktail and waited 30 mins for a cocktail. When it came it tasted like soda water and strawberries.

OVERALL IMPRESSION - At the time of my visit, I recall that there was some convention happening, it seemed to me that the staff bent over backwards for the businessman but treated the tourists like second rate guests. I am a lawyer but I didn't realise that it was a pre-requisite that I brought my suit to get standard service!

i booked this hotel because I trusted the Intercontinental brand. Unfortunately, after this experience I can't ever imagine booking another intercontinental hotel. In short, if you want to throw your money away I suggest you go to the city markets because at least you will get better service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This was my third stay at the Intercontinental and let me say that I was NOT impressed this time around. Check in was a mess, chaotic and the lobby was full of people waiting to check in so it was not a relaxing experience. The room smelled of cleaning products and I was not happy but was not given any alternative as the hotel was full. I was also ripped off by the official driver who was taking me to the airport and had to call the hotel concierge to straighten out the matter. I did sleep comfortably but the overall level of service and efficiency was low for a hotel of this price and rating. I would not return for another round. There are cheaper options for the same rate or better options for slightliy more money.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!