“Set at the edge of the CBD all places can be reached with ease by cab, traffic permitting that is.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Nairobi

Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #29 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

During a recent safari to Kenya I spent a total of 3 nights at the Interconti.
Check in was efficient, all reservation details at hand, so I only had to sign and got my key card.
My room, rather my suite, was well appointed and lacked nothing I would have missed, and the amenities in the bathroom were absolutely complete, including shaver, toothbrush, sewing kit and quality soaps, shampoo and showergel.
I particularly enjoyed the firm matress and good pillows, which allowed me some good nights sleep.
Most appreciated was the access to the 'Club Lounge' on the sixth floor, where a small meeting room is at guests' disposal and where breakfast is served for IHG card holders or guests invited to the facility, as I was. Wireless internet is available for free in the lounge and the attending staff are very observant and extremely helpful. Snacks are available throughout the day, a happy hour in the evening gets one in the pre-dinner mood - with several theme restaurants on the ground floor leaving the taste buds satisfied.
Very good value, central location and a warm and friendly staff right across the hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

The Hotel is ok but we were charged 375USD/night which is a lot for what you get...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Being hoteliers, we understand how things can go wrong and hotels make mistakes. This was by far the worst hotel we stayed at for so many reasons and it just started off our African Safari on the wrong foot. Just to name a few things, we arrived very early in the morning of our arrival, and since the hotel could not guarantee an early checkin, our tour operator paid for the night before our arrival to ensure the room was ready for our early checkin. Needless to say, they initially did not have our room available. After much discussion at the front desk they finally gave us a key to a room....which turned out to be dirty and just slept in by another guest just hours before. We went back down to the front desk, explained the situation and the agent at the desk said, wait over there - as he pointed to the lobby lounge. No apology, no explanation - nothing! We sat in the lobby for about 10 minutes before anyone came to explain anything, the front desk personnel didn't even come talk to us to apologize or explain, and just sent someone else over to fix the problem. We eventually got keys to another room, and just as we arrived, I sat on the corner of the bed and it toppled on top of me - it was such a flimsy cheap mattress and frame that was not properly put together. We had to go back downstairs again because the bed was unacceptable as well as the other amenities in the room....long story short, we got keys to another room, went to go get our luggage from the belldesk so we would not be waiting for the luggage. They insisted on bringing it up "straight away"....and yes, we waited....and waited....and waited. Finally, my husband went down to get it, and meanwhile our luggage is sitting there while a couple of the bellmen were standing chit chatting....

This is just a long list of the things that went awry in our stay, and my husband and I being over 35 years combined in the hotel business in Sr Management positions will undeniably say this was by far the worst experience we had ever had in a hotel. Eventually, on our final night of our safari, we had stayed there again (however, threatened to cancel that reservation if things didn't improve for the next time around), and we were in a room that was beautifully refurbished. I am sure they are capable of great things at that hotel, but our first impression will never lead us to return.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

On our trip to Kenya and Tanzania in Nov of 2009 we first stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Niarobi where our Go Ahead Tour group met. My husband and I each took an extra bag to donate - one for the Deaf Aid School and one for the Familia Moja orphanage. We found these organizations thru a website called stuffyourrucksack.com. You can look up any city you plan to visit and find organizations that need donations. Since a second bag is free to check for international flights, we filled them with things such as socks, pens, pencils, erasers, pencil shapeners, workbooks and story books for children, flash cards and card games, jump ropes, toothbrushes etc. I was able to email the person in charge at each facility ahead and they picked up the bags at our hotel - one I met in person and the other I had to leave with the bellman, with a tag for the person, to pick up. I was sent photos of the children with the things I had donated - it is a good feeling. They do NOT need candy even though they beg for it - poor oral hygeine and few dentists in the bush areas.
As for Nairobi, we were discouraged from going out but we went anyway to the cathedral with is right behind the hotel and very modern inside, then 2 blocks away to the City Market where all sorts of handicrafts are sold. Just avoid the guys who approach you there and offer to get you the "best price" - very inflated because they skim off a commission after they pay the vendors. Just deal with each vendor yourself. It was a safe walk to and from and we were not nervous about this at all.

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

The slowest and most disorganised front desk I've ever seen. Badly maintained building, broken lift, malfunctioning power sockets, noisy air conditioning which does not go off, etc. the list goes on.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

Great hotel with the high standards that one would expect of the Intercontinental. Great food with a mix of International and African (the buffet restaurant in the evening with the pool side barbecue is well worthwhile). Very comfortable beds.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

I was excited when I heard I would be staying at the Intercon in Nairobi, having stayed at others in the chain around the world.

My excitement was grossly misplaced.

This place is a farce. Dark, shabby and very old-fashioned, the decor would be less relevant if I could say that it was made up for great service. But I can't.

I have worked and travelled in Africa a lot, and do not therefore buy the line - which I have heard others use - that "this is just Nairobi and you have to put up with it".

I encountered incompetence at every level. Indivdually of course, most of these issues are pretty trival, but over the course of a week's stay..........:-

- wifi access goes down randomly as the IT team do upgrades during the middle of the working day
- "Instant Service" on the room phone ringing for 30-40 rings and sometimes never being answered
- no minibar in one room, and in another room I stayed in there was a minibar but with nothing in it
- food at European prices without being anything like the quality one would find in Europe, and having to wait an age for even short-order items to arrive
- bills for food and drinks coming with missing items
- waiting 40 minutes for some hangers to be delivered to my room, having chased "Instant Service"
- asking for a toothbrush which I'd forgotten, only be to provided - much later - with a razor
- an apparent inability to split a bill three ways between me and some friends
- a TV that was so bulky and old-fashioned that when I turned it around on its pedestal to watch, it fell of the desk and disconnected itself
- a TV remote that only permitted moving up in the channels not down
- the room not being made up until very late in the day
- the LAN cable in my room being broken and not being replaced despite my mentioning it
- being asked to pay for using the Business Centre despite the continual failure of the internet in the room, which I had already paid for
- returning to my room one night at 2230 to find water in the bath (I could not operate the plug as it was blocked and obviously housekeeping had decided they couldn't either) and my used towels on the floor, without any new ones being provided (what was I supposed to use in the morning?!) and a guy arriving to change lightbulbs (at 2230!) who then left the boxes of those lightbulbs just lying around in my room
- the front desk losing my credit card through rank disorganisation
- a member of staff farting in one of the few lifts that was working just before I got in it!

I'm not a very fussy person, but when these things all pile on top of each other it just gets tiring.

I wouldn't ever choose to spend my own money with this place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!