“Most horrible Hotel Service in Nairobi” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #29 of 132 Hotels in Nairobi
Sudan
“Most horrible Hotel Service in Nairobi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

This was my 2nd stay at this hotel in the period of 3 months since July to Sep. 2009. The first stay was a noisy one,. check in was slow and rooms were smelling of paint and I excused the poor service as a result of renovation. My sceodn stay was a night mare. I booked online and when I arrioved after waiting for over 40 minutes to get checked in. I requested and wqs told that I will be charged the USAID rate. a day before my departure I decided pay my bills as I was levaing early. Not only was I not charged the USAID rate as my identification was confirmed as an employee, but my bill has even shot up beyond the internet rate. The staff at the front desk was so slow and guest either checking in or out were so fed up. the Front office manager himself was a disgrace as he was busy doing one thing or the other and could not marshall nor direct his staff. It took me two hours to get hearing and even then I had to pay way over what I was entitled to. Checking out the next morning was another nightmare. the front office staff were very very slow processing check out information even for guest like me who had settled their accounts the previous day. Its either the PC and network server is old and obsolute or the staff were absoluetlyincompetent. I believe the latter was the case though. the staff will be attending to one customer and speaking on the phone to another and trying to help a third. the whole business is disorganised and I dare say that the hotel management should do a revamp of its staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I visited this hotel twice over the 12 last months for business, and I must admit that, though there is nothing exceptionnal, I did not have any bad surprise either.

The staff is efficient, the hotel is well maintained. Rooms are clean and rather comfortable (deco a bit old fashioned though).

The breakfast is acceptable, but do not expect anything memorable memorable. The Italian restaurant is smart, and the food very good.

Finally, I guess it is a good option downtown Nairobi

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Avignon, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

for 15 years i was a loyal "client" to this "old style" 5 star hotel, 3/ 4/5 times a year i would stay there on my business and leisure travels alone or with my wife and friends and family...i knew all the african staff from the door men, the gym, cleaners chefs, waiters etc etc except the new " white " arrogant managers, that chased me away...

we arrived late one sunday night in january with my wife, i checked in
before going to the room i noticed a rate on the check in card being usd 380 exclusive tax and breakfast ( which was never my favorite , lack of creativity, taste and flavor...)
they had simply tripled my 'special' rate without any notice, the poor 'clubmember' receptionist> my friend jasmine could not do any thing , also it was sunday night 11pm, the white management was not available till after the monday morning meeting...

so as a matter of principle i said: ok i leave, i called the serena hotel , with an all african management, that could accommodate us for the same rate as i used to pay at the intercon...9 months and 3 visits later i am still a very happy guest at the serena hotel in nairobi, that gives you a real touch of high end africa...

the next day i wrote email to the general manager, it took at least a week to get a reply:" we will find a friendly solution..." some weeks later i received a mail from the room division manager with a new proposal being usd 280 without tax and breakfast
paying actually a bid more then half of this at the serena hotel the loyalty with the intercon collapsed ... in particular after the mail that « if it does not fit my budget go elsewhere »
again it is a matter of principle, 15 years of satisfaction gone...
nevertheless it is not my style to discourage potential guest, but be aware of this way of handling the facts...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Annapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was my first trip to Nairobi, so it may be that all western chain hotels are over-priced, but this one was startling. With taxes, my very ordinary room was over US$400/night. I ate several meals in the Indian restaurant where the food and service were excellent. The executive lounge on the 6th floor was a nice place for a drink in the early evening. Secretary of State Clinton stayed here during the AGOA Forum, so I assume that the security is good.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dover, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I have stayed there manytimes since the mid 80s. Used to be a lot nicer. But the food is still very good and the rooms are spaceous and comfortable. Security is treated as very important by the Hotel's management.

Also stayed at the Hilton and Safari Club during some of my many visits to Nairobi. They were nice but the location was less desirable.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Had a few free nights from priority club so decided to stay at the IC Nairobi.

Pros
Good Concierge
Good Location
Great Indian restaurant

Cons
Service other than restaurant was horrible.
Check in staff was rude and unhelpful.
Elevator broken
Mirror in our bathroom was broken 2 days to fix it.
Internet was slow and not free.

Big thumbs down.

Very unimpressed with this IC

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Discriminated on for being a Kenyan woman. The staff are very narrow minded and outdated reasoning.

My advice to Kenyan women living abroad, if you happen to go to Kenya, do not make the mistake of staying at the Inter-Continental because you will be embarrased and humiliated like I was.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple