“Over priced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here overnight on the way to Tanzania and was disappointed, the rooms and hotel could do with updating.
Breakfast for a intercontinental hotel was so,so and the service was poor.
Hope it improves as I'm due to stop here again on my return to Tanzania in August.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dieter_Franke, General Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear colin8358,

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your valued feedback, since this is one of the most efficient ways for us to constantly improve our services.

We appreciate your concerns on the condition of room, quality of breakfast and level of our service. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We are working on these areas ensure that you have a better experience in your next visit.

We thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you and look forward to your next visit.

Dieter Franke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed at the InterContinental Lagos in January 2014. When checking out, front desk informed me that they had to send my American Express details to the InterContinental Nairobi for processing. Strange, but I didn't question it at the time. About three weeks later, the charge hit my account.

Fast forward six months: the InterContinental Nairobi has recently charged my card again in the same amount. I haven't set foot in Africa since February 2014. Hotel management won't return any of my communications.

Would strongly recommend to avoid. Dealing with this kind of thing is never fun and hotel management appears clearly unconcerned.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dieter_Franke, General Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Kyle A,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay in the InterContinental Lagos. We do trust that you are in contact with the Management of IC Lagos and highly regret the inconvenience caused to you.

We are grateful for giving our team a chance to discuss this incident with you for resolution and for your business support.

Dieter O. Franke
Hungerford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The intercontinental was a disappointment in that it is a world leading brand. The hotel is in need of an upgrade including the rooms. Everything works fine, the food in the hotel was good but not great. The service in the restaurant was great, but the reception staff were unsmiling and too businesslike. Concierge was great and always helpful.

Room Tip: If you face the front and have a power cut, the generator is very loud.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear jane1storm,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience during your latest stay with us. We are working on a plan to upgrade our product in order to give you a superior quality service and accommodation. We regret that the quality of our rooms did not meet your expectation.

We appreciate you highlighting dissatisfaction with quality of service at the Reception while happy with great support from our Concierge team. Our Food & Beverage team will discuss your comments on the food to make it even more enticing.

We are grateful for your valued feedback and look forward to an opportunity of serving you in the future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Beautiful 5 star hotel but service could be better. We kept calling for a waiter to serve us n they'd keep passing by. I'm really disappointed especially since a 5 start hotel should have better services and for the price you pay per night and per meals..it was ridiculous.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Margaret K,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay with us. We truthfully appreciate this since this is one of the most efficient ways for us to improve on our service delivery to you and all other guests.

We deeply regret the level of service you received. We have taken necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen again, as it is our utmost goal to consistently maintain excellence in service to all our guests.

We hope that we will be able to convince you of our services in the future.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We really didn't have any expectations of our hotel but if we had they would have been exceeded. Nice staff, nice rooms, nice pool. Great breakfast buffet. Not so great lunch buffet (wouldn't do that again). The last day we were there the President of Sudan and Prime Minister of Ethiopia were there. I guess if it's good enough for them it's good enough for us:) The hotel is very secure, there are armed guards, I'm talking machine gunned armed guards everywhere. They search the car on the way in. You go through two gates to get out of the hotel (when walking) and they scan you everytime you go back in. That sounds kind of intrusive but they were very nice about it.
We stayed at the hotel as part of a family friendly safari. http://familyafricansafari.blogspot.com/
We really enjoyed the pool.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear CarolccCNA,

We are grateful for your review on Tripadvisor. It is a delight to note that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet, loved our guest rooms, the pool and the level of security in the hotel.
We are particularly happy about your comments about our team.

We are committed to safety of our guests, colleagues and hotel property. We also appreciate your comment that the quality of lunch did not meet your expectation and regret any inconvenience this caused to you. We have shared this with the Director of Food & Beverage to look into ways to improve.

Once again we thank you for sharing your feedback with us and look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I spent 3 nights at this Hotel on business. My organization selected it due its proximity to the KICC where we held our meetings.
It is heavily guarded from the gate to the hotel's main entrance leading up to reception and lobby area. At first, having to go through security scans sounded a bit awkward, but amid terrorist attacks in Kenya, one would really feel secure once inside the Hotel's compound.
Rooms are spacious and depending on the floor you stay, it's possible to catch a nice view of the city.
Staff is very courteous and helpful. Something worth highlighting was to have learn't that they had a tailor guy who readily fixed a loose button of my suit after i had contacted the hotel's concierge.
The lobby area is usually packed at night, it appearing a hotspot for local business people to meet and socialize.
Did not explore the bar, nor other facilities of the Hotel, as time was against me, but my colleagues did and they had a nice time.
Since my organization paid for my stay by deducting the hotel component from my DSA, I reckoned it was expensive, given the balance I got paid. That being the case with breakfast and dinner which were also covered, I decided to have lunch on my last day (late check-out). I was astonished when i got the bill for a buffet and 1 drink to the value of R495 (+-USD 49) deducted from my card, although the food was nice and I still had to tip the guy who served me, as indirectly he demanded so by insisting if I didnt like his service.
In a nutshell, my verdict - Good but Expensive!!!

Room Tip: Choose floors above 3rd
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear ViajanteAfricano,

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

We thank you for highlighting many positive areas such as the hotel security, the spacious rooms and the courteous staff. Our team is committed to ensuring that every guest has wonderful experiences with us.

I have noted your comments regarding the prices in our restaurants. We regularly review our prices based on prevailing economic conditions.

Thank you for your visit. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely,

Karl Hala
Regional General Manager – IHG Africa
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Excellent service from the moment I arrived to the moment I left. I loved my room and really did not want to leave.

Amazing breakfast - one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever had! A beautiful little Indian restaurant on the ground floor which serves amazing butter chicken curry. The hotel is also centrally located and not far from the CBD and other places such as the KICC and Masaai Market and the lovely church - (I have forgotten the name of the church).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sandisiwe N

Thank you very much for your sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor about your recent experiences at InterContinental Nairobi

I was delighted to read that enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for rating us as your Home away from Home. Your recommendation of our hotel is greatly appreciated.

Please let us know when you plan to stay with us and we would be very happy to welcome you back to the InterContinental Nairobi

Yours sincerely,

Karl Hala
Regional General Manager – IHG Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!