“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We really didn't have any expectations of our hotel but if we had they would have been exceeded. Nice staff, nice rooms, nice pool. Great breakfast buffet. Not so great lunch buffet (wouldn't do that again). The last day we were there the President of Sudan and Prime Minister of Ethiopia were there. I guess if it's good enough for them it's good enough for us:) The hotel is very secure, there are armed guards, I'm talking machine gunned armed guards everywhere. They search the car on the way in. You go through two gates to get out of the hotel (when walking) and they scan you everytime you go back in. That sounds kind of intrusive but they were very nice about it.
We stayed at the hotel as part of a family friendly safari. http://familyafricansafari.blogspot.com/
We really enjoyed the pool.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dieter_Franke, General Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear CarolccCNA,

We are grateful for your review on Tripadvisor. It is a delight to note that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet, loved our guest rooms, the pool and the level of security in the hotel.
We are particularly happy about your comments about our team.

We are committed to safety of our guests, colleagues and hotel property. We also appreciate your comment that the quality of lunch did not meet your expectation and regret any inconvenience this caused to you. We have shared this with the Director of Food & Beverage to look into ways to improve.

Once again we thank you for sharing your feedback with us and look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

Dieter Franke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Indonesian first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I spent 3 nights at this Hotel on business. My organization selected it due its proximity to the KICC where we held our meetings.
It is heavily guarded from the gate to the hotel's main entrance leading up to reception and lobby area. At first, having to go through security scans sounded a bit awkward, but amid terrorist attacks in Kenya, one would really feel secure once inside the Hotel's compound.
Rooms are spacious and depending on the floor you stay, it's possible to catch a nice view of the city.
Staff is very courteous and helpful. Something worth highlighting was to have learn't that they had a tailor guy who readily fixed a loose button of my suit after i had contacted the hotel's concierge.
The lobby area is usually packed at night, it appearing a hotspot for local business people to meet and socialize.
Did not explore the bar, nor other facilities of the Hotel, as time was against me, but my colleagues did and they had a nice time.
Since my organization paid for my stay by deducting the hotel component from my DSA, I reckoned it was expensive, given the balance I got paid. That being the case with breakfast and dinner which were also covered, I decided to have lunch on my last day (late check-out). I was astonished when i got the bill for a buffet and 1 drink to the value of R495 (+-USD 49) deducted from my card, although the food was nice and I still had to tip the guy who served me, as indirectly he demanded so by insisting if I didnt like his service.
In a nutshell, my verdict - Good but Expensive!!!

Room Tip: Choose floors above 3rd
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear ViajanteAfricano,

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

We thank you for highlighting many positive areas such as the hotel security, the spacious rooms and the courteous staff. Our team is committed to ensuring that every guest has wonderful experiences with us.

I have noted your comments regarding the prices in our restaurants. We regularly review our prices based on prevailing economic conditions.

Thank you for your visit. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely,

Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Excellent service from the moment I arrived to the moment I left. I loved my room and really did not want to leave.

Amazing breakfast - one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever had! A beautiful little Indian restaurant on the ground floor which serves amazing butter chicken curry. The hotel is also centrally located and not far from the CBD and other places such as the KICC and Masaai Market and the lovely church - (I have forgotten the name of the church).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sandisiwe N

Thank you very much for your sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor about your recent experiences at InterContinental Nairobi

I was delighted to read that enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for rating us as your Home away from Home. Your recommendation of our hotel is greatly appreciated.

Please let us know when you plan to stay with us and we would be very happy to welcome you back to the InterContinental Nairobi

Yours sincerely,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were here for a day whilst in Transit. Lovely staff - upgraded our room as we were on honeymoon. Good food, clean and good security. We did not use many facilities, but the bed was comfortable, good clean sheets, nice size room and bathroom and pool outside.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KarlHala, Regional General Manager Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Melissa R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Nairobi.

I'm delighted to learn that your stay was enjoyable and that you were pleased with the level of service offered by our hotel.

Once again, please receive my heartfelt thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Regards,
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Perfection isn’t real but here at InterCon in Nairobi, excellence is always. And even when they make a mistake or shy from expectation, they are quick to respond, react, with courtesy, and ensure that your issue is solved. I always stay here while in Nairobi, can’t imagine anywhere else.
P.S. the breakfast is ah-mazing!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ann D,

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

I'm truly delighted to know that you had an excellent InterContinental experience here at InterContinental Nairobi. Your complimenting words about our team made us all proud of what we do here and have inspired us to continue to strive for excellence. I will also be sure to share your kind comments with all the team members

Once again; many thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sincere regards,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on the beginning of our safari and the night before we left for home. We arrived late into the night after a very tiring 18-hour flight, and was greeted with a warm smile, quick and efficient check-in by the staff. The room was impeccable and the bed and bedding were comfortable. We were on the 7th floor on a corner room, and it provided us with the quite that we needed after the long flight. My only complaint was that they changed the bedding everyday, with no option to not change it if we wanted to. We also had the facial and the massage after returning from our safari, and it was pure bliss! The grime, stress, and tiredness melted away with the expert hands of our masseuse. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate with good selections. They even provided us with a boxed breakfast at 5am which we took with us to the airport.

• Stayed May 2014
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Samantha G,

Thank you for taking the time to share the kind feedback from your recent stay with us in InterContinental Nairobi. I am delighted to hear that you found the room impeccable, the breakfast great and my colleagues friendly and efficient.

Thank you also for your feedback on the change of bedding. I am pleased to let you know that your suggestion is already implemented.

I certainly look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here overnight when we missed our Kenya Airways connecting flight. Overall a nice hotel but the rooms are definitely a bit old and rundown now. The restaurant had a nice buffet and the staff are accommodating so this somewhat made up for the older rooms.

Stayed July 2014
KarlHala, Regional General Manager Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear MakatiJoe,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share the feedback from your recent stay with us at the hotel. I am delighted to hear that you liked our restaurants and staff service.

I hope that I might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Regional General Manager – IHG Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!