“Business Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #28 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
“Business Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Good hotel for business, internet worked well, decent shower, good bed and great Indian restaurant.

Security is very good, a must given the issues in Nairobi currently.

Convenient walking distance to the convention centre, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear comradestuart,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we are excited that we have gained your loyalty.

We appreciate your feedback that you found our hotel good for business and liked our rooms, restaurants and the security of the hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Best Regards,

511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel several times during the past two years. It is a safe, well guarded and secure hotel. It is well maintained and has all of the comforts expected of a first class hotel. It is convenient to the city center, but does not have the crowds of people just outside the entrance.

I have had many business meetings in the hotel. It is near government buildings and convenient to have meetings with government officials in an informal atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room when checking into the hotel.
Dear Robert N,

We are thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Our team always strives to go above and beyond for our guests to ensure each experience is a memorable one. Your kind recommendations are truly appreciated and we are excited to have gained your loyalty.

Thank you once again for reviewing us and we look forward to your return.

Best Regards,

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This hotel would have been a 5-star one during the 1980s if one is go to by contemporary standards, but it would qualify as a dated 4-star in my books today. Nevertheless it was said to be one of the best in Nairobi, the other hotel being the Hilton. Our travel agent chose it for us as it was within walking distance to the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC).

Because of the high street crime rate (Kenya reportedly as an unemployment rate about 40%) and more recently urban bombings, the security measures taken for access into the hotel is akin to most embassies - tight measures.

But in general, if you are a seasoned traveler and knows how to avoid trouble-prone areas and is street-smart, Nairobi is a nice city with a pleasant, cool atmosphere. Try to travel in groups. Better yet, ask the hotel concierge to get a van with a drive-guide for a city and animal orphanage tour. It's costly to do so, but it's less risky that way.

The furniture and bathroom fixtures seem a bit dated, including the CRT (tube) television. However, everything in my room worked. A plus point for me are the many electrical plug points available in the room.

Service by the staff is fairly friendly but can be slow at times - not for the impatient or highly demanding customer.

Based on the room rates our troupe paid, we got free wi-fi Internet access, but one has to login again into it every hour. If uninterrupted access is required, packages of 1 hour, 6 hours and 24 hours were available. However, the prices (in USD) are high by today's standards.

There is a fair gym and spa in in the basement of the hotel which was quite well-patronised during my stay there.

As a final comment, I noted that the prices of F&B and services are rather high within the hotel, especially when considering that it is a 4-star one by global standards.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the front (City-Hall Way road) as these have a view. Rooms facing the rear have...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Saifol,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay.
We are glad that you noticed our Security Measures, availability of electrical plug points and friendly staff.

I am pleased to let you know that we are currently upgrading the TVs in the rooms. Also we now have complimentary full stay internet for all our IHG Rewards Club members. We have also taken note of your observation on our F&B Prices. We are currently reviewing this in line with the market.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Regards,

Bientina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Last week I stayed for a short business trip at the Intercontinental Nairobi. It was a return visit and hence I had some expectations. The expectations were all met. The hotel is not of recent construction but the room I stayed in was well maintained, clean and spacious. The lobby was stylish and comfortable. Service was excellent with staff friendly and helpful. The restaurant served an excellent buffet breakfast and dinner was either à la carte or buffet. Good quality food. The hotel went out of its way to make my stay as pleasant as possible.

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room
Dear CriticItaly2000,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay at InterContinental Nairobi because of the room cleanliness, friendly and helpful service and quality of food.

It is a great pleasure to know that our great team made your stay pleasant. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Not for the business traveller! Poor internet service which is very slow and disables at all time. No support during the night so it can be fixed. The electricity ports are not well attuned to US plugs. I am currently with an uncharged phone and computer. God forbid that you are working toward a deadline! Also the food is not great. For price not worth it. Stay at the Serena if you can?

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ree R,

Thank you for staying with us at the InterContinental Nairobi

I am sorry to read that your stay was not to your full satisfaction. Your feedback is very important to us. I would wish to get in touch with you directly. Kindly let me know how I can reach you. You can reach me via e-mail: intercontinental.nairobi@ihg.com

Kind regards,

Giv'atayim, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed at the hotel 4 nights in overall on the 6th floor (executive floor)
The stuff is very kind but very slow in every aspect.
The hotel is old and not well maintained as if this is what I got on the executive floor I am guessing the other floors are not better.
Starting from the bathroom which is full of rust everywhere with burned lamps and very old fashion design.
The dirty iron board and some other issues in the rooms make it a big overall disappointment.
The bar near the pool it nice and the music is good.
Breakfast is good with a big variety of food, vegetables and fruits.

Room Tip: the side facing the main entrance is very noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear WWWCoyote,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us.

We are glad to know that you loved our Breakfast offerings and the Bar near the Pool.
It is disappointing to know that the room you received did not live up to your expectations. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback.

Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed at the Intercontinental Nairobi last week in April and left unhappy, but may be was also unlucky.Food, people, check in/out was great but not VFM IMHO. On entry in my room first day, was greeted by a baby cockroach in the sink, mother was probably nearby but did not see her. Bottle seals on the floor from previous users, AC worked on and off (understand as power went out in city for one of the days) but when it work, it stirred up dusts from old carpet. I got stuck in the old shaky lift going down the gym in the basement one morning, the taps ran dry in the middle of my shower (although water came back before technician arrived-I did'nt know if at all they came as I had left soon after shower getting late as I waited.) Generally may not return if I find a better option but property is well located for business and conferences and I like to stay at the conference venue.

Zav, 2, MAY

Room Tip: Avoid higher rooms to reduce your time in shaky lifts.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear kintu z,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I appreciate your willingness to share us your thoughts following your stay with us.

I regret to learn that our product did not meet your expectation this visit. The whole hotel team strives to provide each of our guests with the quality stay that they deserve and I am very sorry to learn that we were not able to achieve our goal in this occasion. We will look at each of the areas mentioned and ensure appropriate action is taken.

We are grateful that you chose to stay with us. I hope that you will grant us an opportunity to show you our improvements.

Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!