“Best Intercontinental Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #28 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
“Best Intercontinental Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I have stayed at the InterContinental Hotel, Nairobi several times & my experience has always been superb!
They have very friendly & professional staff particularly the ones working on the executive floor where my partner & I always book to stay.
The breakfast has a variety of selection, freshly cooked/baked. We love the Sunday brunch! I would highly recommend it!
The rooms are sparkling clean! In all of our stays, we have had good & professional room attendants. Definitely the best experience we have had in all our travels.
I would particularly like to mention Cyprian Magero who works in the reservation/Marketing department. As an ambassador member, I find him very efficient, he is conversant with the privileges of the membership unlike in other IHG hotels where I've had to request for the membership benefits. I find him very reliable in managing my booking.
Overall, I strongly think the InterContinental is the best hotel in Nairobi with the most friendly staff.

Kessie.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Ann N,

Thank you very much for having taken a moment of your valuable time to post your review regarding your stay with us at InterContinental Nairobi.

I would like to express my sincerest thanks for your positive ratings with regards to our hotel and our friendly team members. Coming from a valued guest such as yourself, your comments are indeed very much appreciated. Your commendation to Cyprian has been acknowledged and passed on to him as recognition for the great service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi in the near future, where you may be assured of our best possible attention at all times.

Kind regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

You can probably walk to the main attractions of Nairobi. The hotel looks a bit old and needs some upgrade but in Nairobi there are not many options. Please use only bottled water. The breakfast spread is pretty good and the pool is quite good as well. Rooms offer a nice city view.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Travel81guru,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your kind feedback.

It is wonderful to hear that you liked our breakfast spread and our pool.
I thank you for your feedback on the hotel condition. We are working to improve this aspect.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Kind regards

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel two times in the past two weeks. The first time was the end of March 2014. The security was tight the first time with cars being checked before being permitted to drive onto the grounds, and going through a metal detector and having your luggage X rayed. The second time was after several bombs exploded in Nairobi and 6 people were killed. Then the hotel stopped permitting vehicles to drive onto the grounds. It was an inconvenience to have to wheel your luggage from the street to where the guard booth is located but if the hotel security staff believes the extra level of security is necessary,then I am happy,to comply. I'm not in a position to second guess their security measures. Otherwise, my review will,be similar to the previous comments. There is WiFi in the rooms, the food is very good, the location is great, and yes the hotel could use,some updating.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room with good air conditioning. The room I was in during my first stay had an air c...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Susan U,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at InterContinental Nairobi. We are grateful for your review.

We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback on our security arrangements. It is gratifying to know that you did not mind the inconvenience and appreciated the measures we had put in place to take care of the safety of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I only had the pleasure of one night at the Intercontinental in Nairobi, and it was a perfectly acceptable place. The breakfast had a very good choice of cuisine and was quite delicious, while the room was clean and spacious. The service was of a high standard, bordering on the "a little too much" for my British sensibility but not something I'm complaining about.

The location was fine, close enough to the heart of the city to get around with relative ease (given this is downtown Nairobi) and a clear route back to the airport. I'd stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Gareth R

Thank you so much for the great feedback, very much appreciated.

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast selection and that you found our rooms clean and spacious.
Our team is what makes the difference in guest experience. We encourage them to do what they can to make our valued guests comfortable. I am glad you noticed this.

Thank you once again and please do come and stay with us again.

Best regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Been here ova and ova, you can see the hotel is aging, yes it does need a revamp, but the staff have also aged with the hotel and still provide the best service , the indian restaurant Bhandini has still the best indian food around run by a great indian chef , expensive but if u want quality then u need to pay for it. Try not to miss the Sunday brunch @2800/- per head it's steal. All in all I can say it's truly a home away from home if ur an ambassador with IHG.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dax C

Thank you very much for your feedback. Very nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and even better that our hotel is truly a home away from home.

The Bhandini Restaurant is well known in the city. Our Chef tries to keep the food offerings as wide as possible and the feedback is very positive, I will give him your compliment. We are also glad that you enjoyed our great Sunday Brunch.

Thank you once again for choosing InterContinental Nairobi.

San Diego CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel is located across the street from the Parliament, which is good and bad. The level of security is over the edge; there is a manned crash gate and behind that, locking gates. When you enter, they use mirrors to check under the cars. Before entering the hotel, your baggage goes through X-ray, then you and your baggage go through a metal detector. When cars exit, guards unlock the inner gates, unlock the crash guard and then let you out. They re-key lock both the gates and crash bar each time. I'm not sure whether this made me feel safe or scared.

Inside, there is a large lobby and bar, two restaurants, a gift shop, jewelry store and pool. The breakfasts are spectacular; dinners were good.

The rooms are average, but clean. All in all, it appears to be a good choice.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear nadojeff

Firstly, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent stay in Nairobi. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our breakfast. We also are happy that you noticed our security arrangement. We do our best to make sure that our guests feel safe when staying with us.

We do hope to welcome you again at InterContinental Nairobi.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Having travelled throughout the world for the last 10 years as a UN representative, I've been very lucky to stay in some amazing hotels and be given 7 star service by flight attendants, hotel staff and other valuable people I have come across in my travels.

None however, can equate to the Concierge at the Intercontinental in Nairobi. If you have the fortune to come across "Jacob" to the right of the main entrance, then your journey is bound to be exponentially enjoyable.

This is someone who takes service to the next level. An absolute asset to the Hotel and a genuine and phenomenal human being. Without going into detail, he made himself available numerous times to provide me with service from finding ATM's, buying gifts for family and arranging transport (often to remote and difficult places).

As someone not frequenting review websites, this guy forced me to sing his praises. I hope to Nairobi in two years and see him as the new General Manager. Well qualified I feel.

A great bloke and a brilliant service provider.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Dave_2BWillB,

We thank you for taking time to review us.

We are happy to receive praise and acknowledgement of the wonderful service by our colleague, Jacob Gichana. It is indeed rewarding when our guests recognize our colleague’s effort and passion for service. Your comments have been shared with our entire staff as reinforcement to continue making InterContinental Nairobi a leader in excellence.

We delight in making our guests’ stay memorable through our consistent supreme services throughout their stay.

We thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you and look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!