“Done nothing wrong; didn't do anything particularly spectacular” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #29 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Done nothing wrong; didn't do anything particularly spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I only had the pleasure of one night at the Intercontinental in Nairobi, and it was a perfectly acceptable place. The breakfast had a very good choice of cuisine and was quite delicious, while the room was clean and spacious. The service was of a high standard, bordering on the "a little too much" for my British sensibility but not something I'm complaining about.

The location was fine, close enough to the heart of the city to get around with relative ease (given this is downtown Nairobi) and a clear route back to the airport. I'd stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Gareth R

Thank you so much for the great feedback, very much appreciated.

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast selection and that you found our rooms clean and spacious.
Our team is what makes the difference in guest experience. We encourage them to do what they can to make our valued guests comfortable. I am glad you noticed this.

Thank you once again and please do come and stay with us again.

Best regards

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Been here ova and ova, you can see the hotel is aging, yes it does need a revamp, but the staff have also aged with the hotel and still provide the best service , the indian restaurant Bhandini has still the best indian food around run by a great indian chef , expensive but if u want quality then u need to pay for it. Try not to miss the Sunday brunch @2800/- per head it's steal. All in all I can say it's truly a home away from home if ur an ambassador with IHG.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dax C

Thank you very much for your feedback. Very nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and even better that our hotel is truly a home away from home.

The Bhandini Restaurant is well known in the city. Our Chef tries to keep the food offerings as wide as possible and the feedback is very positive, I will give him your compliment. We are also glad that you enjoyed our great Sunday Brunch.

Thank you once again for choosing InterContinental Nairobi.

San Diego CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel is located across the street from the Parliament, which is good and bad. The level of security is over the edge; there is a manned crash gate and behind that, locking gates. When you enter, they use mirrors to check under the cars. Before entering the hotel, your baggage goes through X-ray, then you and your baggage go through a metal detector. When cars exit, guards unlock the inner gates, unlock the crash guard and then let you out. They re-key lock both the gates and crash bar each time. I'm not sure whether this made me feel safe or scared.

Inside, there is a large lobby and bar, two restaurants, a gift shop, jewelry store and pool. The breakfasts are spectacular; dinners were good.

The rooms are average, but clean. All in all, it appears to be a good choice.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear nadojeff

Firstly, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent stay in Nairobi. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our breakfast. We also are happy that you noticed our security arrangement. We do our best to make sure that our guests feel safe when staying with us.

We do hope to welcome you again at InterContinental Nairobi.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Having travelled throughout the world for the last 10 years as a UN representative, I've been very lucky to stay in some amazing hotels and be given 7 star service by flight attendants, hotel staff and other valuable people I have come across in my travels.

None however, can equate to the Concierge at the Intercontinental in Nairobi. If you have the fortune to come across "Jacob" to the right of the main entrance, then your journey is bound to be exponentially enjoyable.

This is someone who takes service to the next level. An absolute asset to the Hotel and a genuine and phenomenal human being. Without going into detail, he made himself available numerous times to provide me with service from finding ATM's, buying gifts for family and arranging transport (often to remote and difficult places).

As someone not frequenting review websites, this guy forced me to sing his praises. I hope to Nairobi in two years and see him as the new General Manager. Well qualified I feel.

A great bloke and a brilliant service provider.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Dave_2BWillB,

We thank you for taking time to review us.

We are happy to receive praise and acknowledgement of the wonderful service by our colleague, Jacob Gichana. It is indeed rewarding when our guests recognize our colleague’s effort and passion for service. Your comments have been shared with our entire staff as reinforcement to continue making InterContinental Nairobi a leader in excellence.

We delight in making our guests’ stay memorable through our consistent supreme services throughout their stay.

We thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you and look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Downtown so close to most business locations. Seems pretty safe and there are plenty security staff around. Use one of the contract taxis - they are really helpful and through the week they never missed a pick up. Rooms are ok but just got the feeling a good vacuuming wouldn't go amiss. Breakfasts are good but give the dinner buffet a miss and go to the Indian.

• Stayed February 2014
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear thegrebe,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about InterContinental Nairobi during your recent trip. We are glad to hear that you found our hotel safe and liked our Breakfast and Indian Restaurant.

We also thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the vacuuming of the room and the dinner buffet. This type of feedback is highly appreciated as it helps us to improve our service standards for the benefit of future guests.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi the next time you travel to Kenya.

Best regards,

Modiin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Intercontinental Nairobi is comfortable and a nice play to stay while visiting Kenya.
Attention to detail is not as perfect as you expect on a 5 star hotel, but I understood that this is more like the African touch.
The staff, as most Kenyan people is warm and kind and make the stay at the hotel more pleasant.
I liked that there are many typical food options at both breakfast and dinner.
On my previous visit in November I went to the gym and spa, but I found it poor and bad maintained, so this time I didn't try again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Avargasil

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at InterContinental Nairobi and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor about your experience. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed our warm Kenyan hospitality and dining options.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Intercontinental was a good surprise, as it is not at the top of the ranking in Nairobi, but the experience was overall good.
On the positive side, probably the most attentive staff I have ever seen in a hotel, I got a daily call to check how the stay was going due my Platinum level in IHG, I can tell that this was a first. They went out of their way to try to solve my issue with the room beside mine and offered to change rooms.
Breakfast was good a lot of variety and a very nice staff too.
Taxis were arranged all the time for me and my group and also a weekend package to the city attractions.
Room service was good, on the expensive side, but on the promised time.
The room was big and comfortable and had one of the best black out curtains I've seen in a hotel, the room was so dark that I did not wake up one day, so comfortable I was.
On the improving side, the 20 inches TV from the 90's really let me down, the room was so nice that the tv was completely out of place.
The gym was very hot, no ventilation at all and looked a bit cramped with too many equipments on a small space. The broken elevators which took you to the gym, making you take the creepy stairs did not helped me to come back.
My last night it was clear that the cleaning was carried out in record time, the room was dusty and several items missing. It was a first, all other days the room was perfect, very clean and tidy. Maybe a different person.
I recommend, security was on an excellent level and the guards were nice and polite making the situation less awkward.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms and try to avoid connected rooms. My neighbor was very noise, specially...