Some of our pre-trip concerns appeared to be justified when, on arrival, the layout and decor in the reception area appeared to be a bit outdated and jaded; not in disrepair or worn-out, just a little past its best-before date.
Since this was our first experience in Nairobi, the security check (mirrors to view the van's undercarriage) our vehicle underwent each time we entered the hotel premises to a bit of getting used-to. Being aware of the low but persistent threat of terrorist attacks in Kenya, it was easy to conclude that one should endure and even encourage such minor inconveniences.
Check-in was efficient and rooms were decent and clean. Rooms were well-appointed but a hotel of this class and cost should really, really, not be charging such stiff fees for guests' internet access.
Breakfast in the Pool Terrace restaurant was consistently excellent in selection and preparation.
Our big problem with the Intercontinental was the theft, from the room, of a shirt. The fact that the item was missing was pretty obvious to the affected family member as soon as we returned to our rooms from an outing. It seemed obvious that it must have been taken by the house cleaning staff who accessed the room during our absence.
Eventually, we had the Duty Manager, Head of Security and the head of the house-cleaning staff accompany us to our room to go through our luggage to make sure that the item was not merely misplaces. It was not misplaced; it had clearly disappeared.
We understood the management's reluctance to admit the obvious but we eventually came to resent their outpour of tiresome platitudes about "ongoing investigations...", "...looking into it...", "...we are still looking for the shirt...".
We will neither patronise nor recommend this hotel in the future.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Nairobi Hotel Nairobi
- Intercontinental Nairobi Hotel
- Nairobi Intercontinental
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Nairobi has for years been an oasis of luxury for business travellers as well as those who want to experience the wonders of Africa. The Parliament buildings are a short stroll away, Kenyatta International Convention Centre is right next door and Nairobi National Park, Museum Hill and the Elephant Orphanage are within easy reach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Venere, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel and Agoda so you can book your InterContinental Nairobi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.