“Near Parliament, rooms show deferred maintenance” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #29 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
San Luis Obispo, California
“Near Parliament, rooms show deferred maintenance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Given the location next to the Kenyan Parliament building, one would expect a top-of-the-line hotel. And maybe this is the best Nairobi has to offer. Certainly the lobby lounge was nice, and usually fairly full of well-dressed people. But we found the rooms (we had two different rooms on two different occasions) to be suffering from deferred maintenance--a towel rack in the shower almost pulled out of the wall, shower head that didn't seem to work right. The rooms were fairly clean, though we did find a roach belly-up near the sliding glass door one afternoon. They charge for internet (as most business hotels still do.) Service was friendly, and fairly prompt. Security is very tight--guards with mirrors looking under the buses and cars upon entry, bag check at the front door. This hotel is probably popular with diplomats and representatives of the international funding agencies.

Room Tip: Hotel faces a busy street, so back-facing rooms are probably quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
KarlHala, General Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Ken r,

I am very grateful that you have chosen InterContinental Nairobi as your hotel of choice. It has always been our goal to consistently provide high standards of service and facilities to our guests. Your appreciation of our efforts is indeed an inspiration for us to continue to excel in creating “Great Hotels Guest Love”.

On the other hand, please accept my sincerest apologies for the condition of the room at check in. I have shared this with the Engineering Team and are sure to put it right to our standards.

Rest assured that this is not our level of service and that proper action has been taken to prevent such situations from recurring.

I hope for many more opportunities to welcome you back here at InterContinental Nairobi.

Best regards,

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have stayed at the Intercontinental 5 times over the last 2 years on business trips. The staff has been friendly and helpful, the rooms have been clean, the food has been good and things have been safe. However, internet is expensive and intermittent, Club room access is expensive, and it takes a LONG time to get coffee or tea at the breakfast buffet (an issue if you are pressed for time). I stayed at the hotel the second week of April with a large number of colleagues. There were 2 sets of experiences. One side of the hotel had rooms with filthy towels, exposed wires and mosquito infestation. The other side of the hotel was fine. So, my experience has been very good but others I have traveled with have not been so lucky.

Dear traveler8188,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi to be your Home Away from Home.

It is to our utmost pleasure to read your lovely feedback about your recent stay at our hotel about; friendliness of our staff, cleanliness of our guest rooms, quality of food and safety of guest rooms. I am delighted to advice you that internet service will be free for our Priority Club Members effective July, 2013.

I have shared your comments about the quality of towels and mosquitoes in the room with the relevant department heads to take action and ensure comfort of our guests during their stay.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

As a priority customer got a good deal here - upgrade to suite but only begrudgingly got the other part of royal ambassador benefit i.e. club access.

Rooms are dark in colour - certainly does not reflect the vibrancy of the city or country.

Lots of complaints about internet - I got it for free so if you are staying there worth joining IHG Ambassador otherwise it was about 20 euros per day.

Food seemed on the pricey side but hotel is very central allowing you choice outside the hotel. VAT is a killer in the hotel - but that's not the hotel's fault.Government must be shooting itself in the foot over this.

Pick up service from airport was good. But be careful going back. The traffic is as bad as they say and they do stupid things like reducing the main road to the airport to one lane during the day. Took me over 90 minutes to get to airport on trip that they estimated at 30 mins.

Reasonable pool and gym. Very central so can walk most places. Their taxi service seems ok. - 1500 KSH for trip to Westlands in Mercedes where as 1000 KSH for beat up old Corolla to come back

Service in Club generally good. Possibly a problem with accessing wine in Kenya but the wine was cheap Chilean - equivalent of 5-6 euro a bottle in Europe. But volume and choice of snacks was much better than many other Intercontinentals.

Room Tip: no real difference as hotel is in quiet area opposite parliament. - inner rooms quieter but view put...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear GregMcT,

Let me first thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi during your visit. I truly appreciate your comments, since this is the most efficient way for us to constantly improve our services. We are striving to monitor and improve our services and facilities we offer to all our guests.

We are always pleased to receive areas for development of such a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Nairobi a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights for a conference. Overall an excellent hotel but they could surely change their internet pricing now we are in the 21st century...

Pros
- Excelllent service.
- Good food, with plenty of variety for the lunchtime buffet and room service, as well as a superb Indian restaurant.
- Biggest TV I have ever seen in a hotel room.

Cons
- £22 for 24 hours internet access? Really?
- Gym is on the small side.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear morgie1000,

Let me first thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi during your recent visit. I truly appreciate your comments, since this is the most efficient way for us to constantly improve our services.

We are happy that you enjoyed our good food and our new TVs. We also appreciate your feedback about the internet. We will put your comments into consideration in our product review.

san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. Loved the restaurant, they had a great breakfast buffet too. The concierge was helpful in getting me to a "chemist" so that I could get a prescription refilled (I had forgotten at home). Staff was friendly - rooms were modern and updated. Can't see what others have complained about. Oh yes - the internet charges were high - but we just bought an hour for $5 - and were able to catch up on emails.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear claudia,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi.

It was my pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during March 2013.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi in the near future.

Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Finally an InterCon that treats its Ambassador customers the way they should do.
An upgrade
Fantastic service in the Club Lounge.
All over happy faces.
Indian restaurant was v v good. Food nice and pleasant.
The lounge bar a bit expensive for snacks.
No problem to store luggage whilst we went on Safari.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Dkkeeling,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience at the InterContinental Nairobi , and thank you for choosing our fine Hotel for your stay.

We are glad that you have had a wonderful experience here with us and we are committed as usual to put all our efforts to extend best services to our dear clients.

Hope to see you again here at the InterContinental Nairobi.

Best regards

DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My room certainly did not look like the website. When my flight was cancelled the airline put me up at the Intercontinental. I thought I scored well on that deal. After all - an Intercontinental is pretty swanky, right? Three hours in a taxi from airport to city center, cursing traffic I began to have second thoughts. My taxi driver escorted me the last few blocks on foot. But finally I arrived. The lobby was very nice, spacious and very busy. Nice size crowds in the restaurants and bars. Efficient check-in and good security. Conference spaces looked good and so did the public areas leading to the rooms. Things were looking up.

Then I opened the door to my room. It may sound silly to some, but those who stay in 4 & 5 star properties will understand when I write, "I have not had to "flip" on a light switch in several years." That should have been the first clue I was stepping back into 1979. Possibly 1982. Several styles of furniture in the room, the headboard is smaller than the mattress, the bedside lamp wires are stretched horizontal across the wall. The closet had a modern wall safe, but is a shambles. It is missing drawers but the tracks are still installed. Classy. The hairdryer is mounted on the wall next to the desk, not exactly where I would expect to find it. There is a small tea station and complimentary bottled water. Now, on to the bathroom of this "Luxury Hotel."

I was in a mobile home once. I recall that having a more spacious bathroom. This is Tiny. And original to the construction of this building. Honestly, nothing has been upgraded since probably the 1970s. Kind of quaint in a way. It was clean. They supply an ELEMIS range which surprised and delighted me. Their linens and towels were first rate. Linens and amenities are all that saved the room from a terrible rating.

I admit, the room was provided by the airline so I cannot complain about the cost but I could never imagine paying $230 a night for this Motel 8 experience. Maybe $80 and I'll bring my own Elemis, thank you very much. I realize that airport contract rooms are usually less desirable than others in the hotel. Often that means they are near the elevator, or the last ones to be renovated. But honestly, the Intercontinental brand should be embarrassed if this is an "airline room." And if it is a normal room they should be downright ashamed.

Room Tip: Perhaps another hotel?
Dear spoiledtravelguy
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your very detailed review.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the condition of the room that you got. Please let me know when you visit next so we can give you opportunity to experience our Superior and Deluxe Rooms.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Kind regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!