“ok but getting a bit tired” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #30 of 134 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“ok but getting a bit tired”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

As a priority customer got a good deal here - upgrade to suite but only begrudgingly got the other part of royal ambassador benefit i.e. club access.

Rooms are dark in colour - certainly does not reflect the vibrancy of the city or country.

Lots of complaints about internet - I got it for free so if you are staying there worth joining IHG Ambassador otherwise it was about 20 euros per day.

Food seemed on the pricey side but hotel is very central allowing you choice outside the hotel. VAT is a killer in the hotel - but that's not the hotel's fault.Government must be shooting itself in the foot over this.

Pick up service from airport was good. But be careful going back. The traffic is as bad as they say and they do stupid things like reducing the main road to the airport to one lane during the day. Took me over 90 minutes to get to airport on trip that they estimated at 30 mins.

Reasonable pool and gym. Very central so can walk most places. Their taxi service seems ok. - 1500 KSH for trip to Westlands in Mercedes where as 1000 KSH for beat up old Corolla to come back

Service in Club generally good. Possibly a problem with accessing wine in Kenya but the wine was cheap Chilean - equivalent of 5-6 euro a bottle in Europe. But volume and choice of snacks was much better than many other Intercontinentals.

Room Tip: no real difference as hotel is in quiet area opposite parliament. - inner rooms quieter but view put...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear GregMcT,

Let me first thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi during your visit. I truly appreciate your comments, since this is the most efficient way for us to constantly improve our services. We are striving to monitor and improve our services and facilities we offer to all our guests.

We are always pleased to receive areas for development of such a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Nairobi a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Regional General Manager, Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights for a conference. Overall an excellent hotel but they could surely change their internet pricing now we are in the 21st century...

Pros
- Excelllent service.
- Good food, with plenty of variety for the lunchtime buffet and room service, as well as a superb Indian restaurant.
- Biggest TV I have ever seen in a hotel room.

Cons
- £22 for 24 hours internet access? Really?
- Gym is on the small side.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear morgie1000,

Let me first thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi during your recent visit. I truly appreciate your comments, since this is the most efficient way for us to constantly improve our services.

We are happy that you enjoyed our good food and our new TVs. We also appreciate your feedback about the internet. We will put your comments into consideration in our product review.

san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. Loved the restaurant, they had a great breakfast buffet too. The concierge was helpful in getting me to a "chemist" so that I could get a prescription refilled (I had forgotten at home). Staff was friendly - rooms were modern and updated. Can't see what others have complained about. Oh yes - the internet charges were high - but we just bought an hour for $5 - and were able to catch up on emails.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear claudia,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi.

It was my pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during March 2013.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi in the near future.

Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Finally an InterCon that treats its Ambassador customers the way they should do.
An upgrade
Fantastic service in the Club Lounge.
All over happy faces.
Indian restaurant was v v good. Food nice and pleasant.
The lounge bar a bit expensive for snacks.
No problem to store luggage whilst we went on Safari.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Dkkeeling,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience at the InterContinental Nairobi , and thank you for choosing our fine Hotel for your stay.

We are glad that you have had a wonderful experience here with us and we are committed as usual to put all our efforts to extend best services to our dear clients.

Hope to see you again here at the InterContinental Nairobi.

Best regards

DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My room certainly did not look like the website. When my flight was cancelled the airline put me up at the Intercontinental. I thought I scored well on that deal. After all - an Intercontinental is pretty swanky, right? Three hours in a taxi from airport to city center, cursing traffic I began to have second thoughts. My taxi driver escorted me the last few blocks on foot. But finally I arrived. The lobby was very nice, spacious and very busy. Nice size crowds in the restaurants and bars. Efficient check-in and good security. Conference spaces looked good and so did the public areas leading to the rooms. Things were looking up.

Then I opened the door to my room. It may sound silly to some, but those who stay in 4 & 5 star properties will understand when I write, "I have not had to "flip" on a light switch in several years." That should have been the first clue I was stepping back into 1979. Possibly 1982. Several styles of furniture in the room, the headboard is smaller than the mattress, the bedside lamp wires are stretched horizontal across the wall. The closet had a modern wall safe, but is a shambles. It is missing drawers but the tracks are still installed. Classy. The hairdryer is mounted on the wall next to the desk, not exactly where I would expect to find it. There is a small tea station and complimentary bottled water. Now, on to the bathroom of this "Luxury Hotel."

I was in a mobile home once. I recall that having a more spacious bathroom. This is Tiny. And original to the construction of this building. Honestly, nothing has been upgraded since probably the 1970s. Kind of quaint in a way. It was clean. They supply an ELEMIS range which surprised and delighted me. Their linens and towels were first rate. Linens and amenities are all that saved the room from a terrible rating.

I admit, the room was provided by the airline so I cannot complain about the cost but I could never imagine paying $230 a night for this Motel 8 experience. Maybe $80 and I'll bring my own Elemis, thank you very much. I realize that airport contract rooms are usually less desirable than others in the hotel. Often that means they are near the elevator, or the last ones to be renovated. But honestly, the Intercontinental brand should be embarrassed if this is an "airline room." And if it is a normal room they should be downright ashamed.

Room Tip: Perhaps another hotel?
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear spoiledtravelguy
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your very detailed review.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the condition of the room that you got. Please let me know when you visit next so we can give you opportunity to experience our Superior and Deluxe Rooms.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Kind regards,

HAWAII
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have been staying here since the early 80s. I like the place a lot, but nothing has really changed appearance and furnishing wise in a long time. The prices have gone up and the $30usd for daily Internet is a rip off, but the service is good and most importantly it is safe here. It is clean and comfortable and convenient. The breakfast buffet will fill you up for the day. I will continue to use the Intercontinental whenever I'm in Nairobi. By now the staff knows me and I know them. It's just that they are still stuck in the 80s as far as appearance is concerned. Just my opinion and not a reason not to stay here. Also, after dark stay in the complex.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear SURFER_DUDE44

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that our staff service, safety and breakfast have impressed you.

We appreciate your comments on internet and the furnishings. We kindly welcome you to try our deluxe rooms, which were recently renovated, for your next visit.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back at the InterContinetal Nairobi.

Regards,

Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Hotel is in a very central location, walking distance from various downtown locations, and not far from good restaurants.

The rooms are excellent and quiet. Good restaurants, pool side and inside. Nice lobby bar for breakfast (croissants and espresso) or late night drinks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Okaapi

Thank you so much for your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi. We truly value your feedback and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a great time in Nairobi.

It was a pleasure reading the observations you have shared about our Good restaurants, pool side and nice lobby bar for breakfast.

Once again, please let us express our gratitude and appreciation for your recommendation of InterContinental Nairobi and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,