“Loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
san francisco
“Loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. Loved the restaurant, they had a great breakfast buffet too. The concierge was helpful in getting me to a "chemist" so that I could get a prescription refilled (I had forgotten at home). Staff was friendly - rooms were modern and updated. Can't see what others have complained about. Oh yes - the internet charges were high - but we just bought an hour for $5 - and were able to catch up on emails.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear claudia,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi.

It was my pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during March 2013.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi in the near future.

Regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Finally an InterCon that treats its Ambassador customers the way they should do.
An upgrade
Fantastic service in the Club Lounge.
All over happy faces.
Indian restaurant was v v good. Food nice and pleasant.
The lounge bar a bit expensive for snacks.
No problem to store luggage whilst we went on Safari.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Dkkeeling,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience at the InterContinental Nairobi , and thank you for choosing our fine Hotel for your stay.

We are glad that you have had a wonderful experience here with us and we are committed as usual to put all our efforts to extend best services to our dear clients.

Hope to see you again here at the InterContinental Nairobi.

Best regards

DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My room certainly did not look like the website. When my flight was cancelled the airline put me up at the Intercontinental. I thought I scored well on that deal. After all - an Intercontinental is pretty swanky, right? Three hours in a taxi from airport to city center, cursing traffic I began to have second thoughts. My taxi driver escorted me the last few blocks on foot. But finally I arrived. The lobby was very nice, spacious and very busy. Nice size crowds in the restaurants and bars. Efficient check-in and good security. Conference spaces looked good and so did the public areas leading to the rooms. Things were looking up.

Then I opened the door to my room. It may sound silly to some, but those who stay in 4 & 5 star properties will understand when I write, "I have not had to "flip" on a light switch in several years." That should have been the first clue I was stepping back into 1979. Possibly 1982. Several styles of furniture in the room, the headboard is smaller than the mattress, the bedside lamp wires are stretched horizontal across the wall. The closet had a modern wall safe, but is a shambles. It is missing drawers but the tracks are still installed. Classy. The hairdryer is mounted on the wall next to the desk, not exactly where I would expect to find it. There is a small tea station and complimentary bottled water. Now, on to the bathroom of this "Luxury Hotel."

I was in a mobile home once. I recall that having a more spacious bathroom. This is Tiny. And original to the construction of this building. Honestly, nothing has been upgraded since probably the 1970s. Kind of quaint in a way. It was clean. They supply an ELEMIS range which surprised and delighted me. Their linens and towels were first rate. Linens and amenities are all that saved the room from a terrible rating.

I admit, the room was provided by the airline so I cannot complain about the cost but I could never imagine paying $230 a night for this Motel 8 experience. Maybe $80 and I'll bring my own Elemis, thank you very much. I realize that airport contract rooms are usually less desirable than others in the hotel. Often that means they are near the elevator, or the last ones to be renovated. But honestly, the Intercontinental brand should be embarrassed if this is an "airline room." And if it is a normal room they should be downright ashamed.

Room Tip: Perhaps another hotel?
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear spoiledtravelguy
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your very detailed review.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the condition of the room that you got. Please let me know when you visit next so we can give you opportunity to experience our Superior and Deluxe Rooms.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Kind regards,

HAWAII
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have been staying here since the early 80s. I like the place a lot, but nothing has really changed appearance and furnishing wise in a long time. The prices have gone up and the $30usd for daily Internet is a rip off, but the service is good and most importantly it is safe here. It is clean and comfortable and convenient. The breakfast buffet will fill you up for the day. I will continue to use the Intercontinental whenever I'm in Nairobi. By now the staff knows me and I know them. It's just that they are still stuck in the 80s as far as appearance is concerned. Just my opinion and not a reason not to stay here. Also, after dark stay in the complex.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear SURFER_DUDE44

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that our staff service, safety and breakfast have impressed you.

We appreciate your comments on internet and the furnishings. We kindly welcome you to try our deluxe rooms, which were recently renovated, for your next visit.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back at the InterContinetal Nairobi.

Regards,

Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Hotel is in a very central location, walking distance from various downtown locations, and not far from good restaurants.

The rooms are excellent and quiet. Good restaurants, pool side and inside. Nice lobby bar for breakfast (croissants and espresso) or late night drinks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Okaapi

Thank you so much for your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi. We truly value your feedback and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a great time in Nairobi.

It was a pleasure reading the observations you have shared about our Good restaurants, pool side and nice lobby bar for breakfast.

Once again, please let us express our gratitude and appreciation for your recommendation of InterContinental Nairobi and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in November, 2012 and had an excellent stay. The rooms were modern, clean and very comfortable. The staff are all friendly and helpful and the restaurant is very good as well. Always had a large selection on the buffet to choose from for all meals. I didn't use it, but the pool looked very inviting! This would definitely be my first choice of a place to stay in Nairobi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear chrisully11

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience in our Hotel.

I am delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience here with us and we are committed to put all our efforts to extend best services to our dear clients.

I hope to see you again here at the InterContinental Nairobi in the near future.

Best regards,

waterloo, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently spent a few nights at the Intercontinental Nairobi hotel in Kenya while on a Friendly Planet tour of Kenya.The location is about a 20 minute drive from the airport and close to downtown. The security at the hotel is phenomenal,with armed guards at the gated entrances and an under-vehicle search of every vehicle before it is allowed entrance to the property. We also had our hand luggage searched and had to pass through a metal detector each time we entered the hotel. In all of our extensive world travel, we have never seen such elaborate security!
We were told it was unsafe to leave the hotel and although my husband and I did walk in the park across the street, we spent the rest of our short stay on the premises.

The hotel itself is quite large with all the amenities - pool, several restaurants, bar etc. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a decent size and had one window that opened and no balconies. My main criticism is that the hotel is quite dark and dated, although it was an acceptable trade-off for the feeling of security we had in a potentially unsafe city.

The breakfast buffet which was included in our tour, was delicious with huge variety and excellent quality. Loved it! We also ate dinner at the hotel and while the food was fairly tasty, we felt it was a little pricey.

The pool was unappealing and unattractive and few guests seemed to use it. The bar area adjacent to the pool was a nice outdoor oasis and a good place to have an evening cocktail.

A good place to stay for a night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear laurWaterloo_Ontario,

I am glad that you had a wonderful experience here with us and we are committed to put all our efforts to extend best services to our dear clients.

I note with pleasure that the quality of food in the restaurants, service in the bar and attitude of our colleagues met your expectations. It is our goal to consistently offer superior service and a memorable experience to all our guests.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. I look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Kind regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!