“My Home in Central and Eastern Africa” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #28 of 97 hotels in Nairobi
Arlington, Texas
“My Home in Central and Eastern Africa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Intercon Hotel is a Hotel that is evolving with the country. My first stay here was in 2004. They Hotel has made vast improvements in things like flat screen TV's, new furniture and decor, the Club Intercontinental is very very nice, and the Internet is 200% better than my first experience. The one thing that has not changed is the kindness of the people who serve. George and Felix meet you at the door with a smile and if you are returning, your name and they even try hard to remember you. Siamanta Martha is ready to check you in with a smile and a preprepared accommodation. Samson is one of the many improvements. When I first stayed, he was the internationally known, bigger than life, head bellman. Now they have recognized his value and promoted him to head Concierge. He is always ahead of the game and ready to meet any need. The club on the sixth floor is well staffed. Lucy and the rest do an amazing job and the young cooks are always ready to supply and fulfill any of your custom request. Finally, the area that has improved the most is the wifi capability of the building. While there are still some needed up-grades, the service is much improved and getting better each day. The best up-grade is Kennedy. He is an enthusiastic assistant, knowledgeable of the system, and familiar with most operating systems. He helped my trip become superior and special rather than just great. It is nice to find an employee who is competent and smiles while he works. Thank you Kennedy.

Well, if you're looking for a US Family resort that is quiet and still and luxury at every turn,this is not your place. If you desire a business friendly, well appointed, competently staffed Hotel where customer service is king, then this is your place. Oh yea, don't forget to have a great massage by Jane down in the basement spa. She is great and truly African.

This is the place to stay for great customer service, good food, clean rooms, and relaxing style. It's in my book as the place to go when working in Africa.

Room Tip: Stay on the Club floor, it is worth the extra.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear livinfast,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi to be your ‘home away from home’. I am delighted to note that after many years, you find InterContinental Nairobi as your preferred hotel of choice to cater for your accommodation needs.

I appreciate the time you took to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. Your comments and reviews do help with us in our quest to provide the best possible service experience our guests.

Your observation about our improved hotel facilities and staff service quality is very much treasured. It is our goal to consistently offer superior service and make your every visit memorable.

On behalf of the management team, I have conveyed your compliments to Samson, Siamantha, Felix, George, Kennedy, Lucy and Jane, from both the Front Office and Health Club departments and they are so delighted to know that their efforts met your entire satisfaction and will encourage them to continuously strive for excellence.

Once again, your feedback is highly appreciated and we hope to meet and surpass your expectations during your future stay.

501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Intercontinental Nairobi offers the best Lasagna and bar ( both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks) in my experience. The Indian Restaurant is also to die for, not forgetting the sumptuous breakfast table and lunch time buffets. I can recommend their food anytime. i have never spent a night so I am not able to comment about the rooms.

I can recommend it anytime as a wonderful place for your meetings, chill outs or just a sumptuous dinner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Hjkenya,

Thank you for choosing Intercontinental Nairobi as your preferred hotel of choice. I greatly appreciate the time you took to share your valued feedback with us.

It was a pleasure receiving your compliments about our services. I have also noted that you had an opportunity to visit our restaurants and have had a memorable experience.

It is our goal to consistently offer superior service and satisfaction to our guests.

I look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you.

Northampton, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Have to agree with the other reviews which say that the hotel is a little dated, but it's certainly clean and secure with mostly good service and located close to the town centre and a short walk from the weekend craft market. Nairobi Hotels seem expensive by comparison with many places I've stayed, but you can save a bit of cash by opting for the a la carte breakfast. Unless you have a massive appetite, you'll never justify the cost of paying for breakfast up front. The in house Indian restaurant is excellent.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear John-frae-Banff,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel during your recent stay. I am delighted to note that your experience at the Bhandini (Indian Restaurant) was pleasant.

It is our goal to consistently offer superior service and a memorable experience to all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

Regional General Manager Africa
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I dont know if you can give an accurate review from a one night stay but nonetheless here it goes. Apart from th security guards, luggage scanners and , metal detectors this place is very inviting lol this is Africa. Seriously, I found it to be warm and pleasant. It's a little dated and you can tell but the rooms were pretty clean, bed was soft, and the staff was very very nice and helpful. They will try to get every last dollar from you but if you understand that your in Africa and everything is negotiable you will be just okay. Ordered room service and the club sandwich was decent and very edible. I did not have time to check out the restaurant but I did grab a very nice cappuccino and a Kenyan Croissant ( kenyans make their croissants to be moist instead of crunchy, I actually think it's very tasty and really enjoyed it but if your used to crispy flaky croissants you may be disappointed, I certainly wasn't. Would I return here? Absolutely!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear dgirma1980,

We are very grateful for your kind remarks and that you have enjoyed your stay at InterContinental Nairobi. It has always been our goal to provide only the best quality services and facilities to our guests and it is gratifying to learn that our efforts are appreciated.

Once again, thank you and we are looking forward to your return visit.

Greensboro, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here before going on Safari. Central Location which was convenient, but somewhat noisy. They did have a wonderful outdoor patio/bar area with a projection screen. Room was neat and clean and good sized. Overall a decent place to stay for a night or two.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Adam P,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel during your recent stay. I am delighted that your experience at the Makuti Bar which is the outdoor bar was pleasant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I was here for 4days conference and enjoyed every single day and wish to go back for sure.The staff is great,lovly and hardworking.The rooms were quite luxurious with tasteful decor.The food was great and the hotel was quite stunning.The gym and spar are also excellent and on the highest level.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear KdKokoyo,

I am delighted to receive your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently offer superb service and a memorable experience to all our guests.

It will be our pleasure to host you again during your future stays.

Kind Regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We ended up here for a night after our airline unilaterally cancelled our tickets. Hotel was nice enough, quite comfortable with good facilities. Although we didn't pay for the accommodation, I think I would have been a little disappointed with what we got if we were paying - whilst a good size, the room was a little dated. The bathroom had a shub (I always hate them), and the shower head needed replacement. The pool area is nice, and the Makuti Bar outside is a great place for late afternoon/early evening drinks. Staff were very good and friendly in general, so compliments there. Overall, a very nice hotel, but gets three stars based on perceived value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Wandering_Saffa,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel during your recent stay. We are pleased to note that our hotel facilities made your stay comfortable, coupled with friendliness of our colleagues. I am glad you had the opportunity to visit the Makuti bar and that you enjoyed your time there.

I hope InterContinental Nairobi will still be your preferred choice of lodging for your future travel needs in Kenya.

Kind Regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!