“Good clean hotel for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #27 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good clean hotel for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed for 2nights one at the beginning and one at the end of my safari trip in Maasai Mara.

The Rooms are clean beds are comfortable. However,the rooms definitely need a furniture reimbursement and hotel deco is outdated. The staff are helpful and friendly. Overall good service, good location in city center.

If your staying for 1 or 2 nights its fine. If your stay is longer in Nairobi. You might want to opt for another hotel that reflects a 5star.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Rania_ali,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate customers who take the time to tell us how we can better serve them.

Your feedback will be invaluable as we formulate ways to ensure we deliver good service that our customers will love, come back and tell everyone they know.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Kind Regards,
Regional General Manger, Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed for 9 nights on a business trip in December 2012, and was perfectly satisfied.

The best things about the hotel are the poolside bar (great for enjoying Nairobi's cool evenings), the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, and the food at the Indian restaurant.

It's not top top quality, for people used to the best first world hotels. My room wasn't completely clean (or ready) when I arrived, the room wasn't fully restocked each day (towels, shower gels, glasses - those sort of little things), and the gym is pretty basic (smelly!).

The food is good. There are enough options for a week or two - but after that its gets a bit repetitious. The breakfast buffet is good, with plenty of options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear JamesDB7,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to review us in regards to your stay with us. We appreciate all feedback that we get from our esteemed guests as it guides us on our daily quest to satisfy and exceed expectation.

Please accept my sincere and unreserved apology for the inconvenience you experienced due to your room.

I am eager to restore your confidence in our company and regain your goodwill. I hope that you will give us another chance by choosing us the next time you come to Nairobi.

Kind Regards,
Regional General Manger, Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for a night on 6-7 December . The check in was ok. I was guided to the lift, my room was on 5th floor. While on the lift , I pressed 5 , the lift doors opened on level 2, and then repeatedly tried to close, but could not, without any obstruction . I got off at level 2 and waited and used the 2nd lift.
My room location was just adjacent to the lift which was good.
Once in the room, I was not impressed by the furniture, I think it is 20 years old, the TV is still 20 inch CRT..
The bath room was clean but smelled of urine. Ughh..
The good thing was spotless towels, and linen , bed was also comfortable.
It was good view out of window if you look the green at a distance.
There is a super market within 500 meters, but the hotel staff did not tell me on asking , they said take a taxi. So I took s taxi and went to shopping around 6 km away.
The next day I discovered the nearby bazar near Hilton hotel.
So don't expect any wonders.

• Stayed December 2012
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Mutahir,
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns.

I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. We take very seriously the confidence our guests place in us and we work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Your comments will go a long way in helping us know which areas to look into and what to work on in order to ensure that we deliver the very best to all our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope you will give us another chance next time you’re in Nairobi.

Kind regards,
Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights in Sept 2012--one at the beginning and one at the end of a 16-day Overseas Adventure Safari in Kenya and Tanzania. [I didn't rate Value because I don't know how much our room cost.] The hotel curbside and lobby appearance were impressive. Security is a priority and appeared ample--huge barriers prevented vehicles approaching the front of the hotel until inside and underside inspection were complete.

Public areas were beautifully furnished and spacious. Our rooms were well decorated and clean. The king size beds were comfortable--eight pillows of different firmness and a fluffy duvet. Towels were thick and large. Toiletries were high quality.

Our first bathroom had a weak flushing toilet that took several flushes to clear the bowl. Our second bathroom had a water leak from the floor above that trickled down but maintenance people were quick to fix it.

The breakfast buffet was enormous and excellent.

I was pleasantly surprised when the front desk exchanged $US for Kenyan shillings at the going rate and no transaction fee.

On the last day of our trip, I asked the concierge to confirm our flights. He was pleasant and apologetic, but he was unable to do so because their computer network wasn't working properly. He said we could go to their business hub and use a computer (for a fee) to confirm our flight ourselves.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sixyuz,
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel in regards to your past stay with us. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our public areas, the room plus all its amenities.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we do look forward to your next visit.

Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Having just left the intercontinental (in fact writing this as something to do in the airport)...The hotel is based more or less smack bang in the centre of the city, this means sadly that all the roads around the hotel are jammed with traffic that didn't seem to get any better regardless of the time of day, there is a major round about around the corner and the traffic lights usualy don't work. Saying that it is 30 minute from the airport on a good run, there is an intercontinental taxi service clearly signed as you exit the baggage collection area , try and book beforehand but I didn't and just showed my booking form and a taxi was there in 2mins and they charged it to my room aprox 2500 KS. I found ALL the staff very friendly and if you are a priority club member the free wifi worked a treat. If you need a taxi the concierge will get one for you and again it can be charged to your room for a small fee.my room on the 7th floor was large but a little bit tired, a saw a friends room on the 6th floor and his was much more modern so had been recently updated...I would say the lifts have a mind of their own and whatever the arrows indicate be prepared to wait a while and go up and then down ?? There are craft markets 5minutes walk away just ask the concierge (be prepared to get hassled..with a smile of course :-)

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Colmon69,
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel in regards to your recent stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so.

I am very glad to hear that you were satisfied with the service our staff offered you. They will be glad to know that all their efforts to deliver service beyond expectations were fully appreciated. I would love the opportunity to have you back to Intercontinental Nairobi.

Hope you will still choose Intercontinental Nairobi the next time you’re in Kenya.

Kind Regards, Karl Hala
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed at the Intercontinental on Nov 5-6, 2012. The hotel i slocated at the heart of downtown Nairobi. It has a nice pool and a couple of good restaurants. the best one was the one by the pool. The rooms although a little outdated are very clean and the beds very confortable. The staff was very helpfull and even helped my party to hire a private driver for a day. Although they are places like restaurants, shopping, etc within walking distance, it is not wise to walk around at night. During the day it is ok but as the locals will tell you, Nairobi is not that safe of a place and robbery is a daily thing,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa. at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Juan V,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. It’s our joy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to note that you had the opportunity to visit the Terrace Restaurant which is by the pool and I do hope that on your next visit, you will find time to dine at the Bhandini Restaurant which specializes in Indian Cuisines.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The location is good - being situated in the center of the city like Nairobi. However, that has its own hazards with the traffic snarls around the area.

The property is more than 40 years and surely is very dated in all aspects. The rooms, the restaurants and overall facilities need major overhauling in every respect - features, equipment, service delivery and upkeep.

Staff are friendly - WHEN THEY CHOOSE TO BE; otherwise, one is just a room # in this hotel which always is busy.

The Internet service is very flaky - as experienced in two recent visits and the standard answer is "that an upgrade is underway."

Unless there are reasons otherwise, there are better hotels in the city at a similar price.

Room Tip: Try and get a larger room on the front side of the hotel.