“A perfect place to meet and greet” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Kampala, Uganda
“A perfect place to meet and greet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My periodic return to the InterContinental in Nairobi is always something to look forward to.
I have said enough before about being met at the front door already as a long lost friend - yes, at times I do also stay at other hotels in Nairobi - but on this review I just want to focus on their Club Lounge on the 6th floor.
Besides offering a light breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and supper snacks, the lounge offers one of the best meeting options in Nairobi, and for Executive Club members for FREE, as incidentally all guests staying in suites.
Tea, coffee, juices, soft drinks and water are available free of charge through out the day and the superbly trained and competent staff act as concierge and even 'personal assistant' to get things done, on time and as hoped for. As an added bonus the hotel offers an open bar with free wine, beers and spirits for lounge guests between 6 and 8 pm, allowing to meet fellow hotel guests or just sipping on one's favourite drink before heading to one of several restaurants in the hotel for dinner - which can also be served in the privacy of one's suite of course.
Meeting guests here is providing privacy which often in the downstairs restaurants is not the case, when on multiple occasions people walk up and say their hellos and start conversations, well meant undoubtedly but oblivious to the fact that one actually is in a meeting already. Hence, the Club Lounge is a most welcome alternative to meet, talk business or catch up with friends one on one rather than such being turned into threesomes or group meetings.
And the added advantage in the InterContinental's Club Lounge is the separate meeting room which can be booked through the staff in the lounge, again for free. Here, in great comfort and set apart from the main lounge, meetings can be conducted without eavesdropping or prying eyes, drinks and snacks available and even served by the lounge attendants if asked nicely.
My last trip to Nairobi provided exactly that sort of conducive environment I needed to accomplish a few things and I already look forward to another return to 'base'.

Room Tip: Become a member of the Executive Club for rooms on the 06th 'Club Floor' or else, as I do, s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Safariafficionado,

Thank you for taking the time to write a most complimentary review about your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi.

I greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and in particular your comments about our “friendly staff” and club facilities. I am happy to know that you appreciate the added benefits that you can now enjoy at the Club InterContinental lounge.

We do look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed only one night in this hotel before our safari started. The hotel personnel are not friendly, Toilet was not clean and the flush was not working. After making a complain it was not solved....horrible experience...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear jyoti307,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your review. I was disheartened to read that your stay was not the authentic and enriching experience that we strive to deliver all of our guests

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and I would like you to please contact me directly should you have the opportunity to return so that I may take care of your booking personally.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here with my wife, hotel is in the centre of Nairobi and hosts a number of good bars and resturants - especially Safari bar. The staff were very helpful and arrange a number fo trips out for us. The rooms (especially the bathrooms) could be with a little TLC and a revamp in some case, but overal a good place to stya if visiting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Dom1874,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I am happy to note that you have enjoyed your stay here at InterContinental Nairobi. We hope that we'll have many more chances to be of service to you again and to deliver the quality service that we pride ourselves of delivering each time.

Again, thank you for your valuable comments as we rely on you to know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Best regards,

mumbai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Intercontinental was a transit safari stop stay for our family vacation in Kenya! Horrid experience which our entire group has never faced intheir life. Right from the chaos at check -in (7pm) to the staff asking senior citizens in the group to carry their own luggage up to the rooms, to accusing us of "taking away" other customer bags at check out and searching our safari cars, we have never ever had it so bad. Complete lack of customer service, rude staff, makes me wonder that how this got to be an intercontinental property! Coming from a hsopitality background, I have never seen such lack of professional ethics. Stay Away

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear indiantrotter,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Firstly I would like to apologize that your stay was any less than perfect. We aim for nothing less than a wonderful experience for all of our guests and I must apologize that on this instance we did not meet your expectations.
We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again and provide you with a flawless experience, I would like to invite you to please contact me directly should you have the chance to return to the hotel and I would be glad to give you my personal attention.

I do hope to have a chance to welcome you back at the hotel again soon.

Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I liked the location of this hotel. Not to far from the airport. I only spent 2 days in this hotel. I was happy i could walk down to the market. I checked out restaurants outside of this hotel that were nice. I went to the casino aswell just to look around. My room was clean with a nice balcony view. I would return here again on my next visit to kenya

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Teelahfly,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I sincerely appreciate you complementing our facilities.

I do look forward to welcoming you back here at InterContinental Nairobi.

Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

It is a great beautiful place and i enjoyed staying at the Hotel Intercontinental- Nairobi. The Public areas were very nice both at the lobby and outside next to the Swimming pool with clean and very comfortable rooms. It is in the city center and one can easily walk to shopping malls etc. I had one of the best breakfast ever in this hotel with lots of varieties and fresh food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Robert O,

Thank you very much for taking a minute of your valuable time to write an excellent review here on TripAdvisor about your experience at InterContinental Nairobi.

I am very pleased to know that you found our Public areas to be very nice and our rooms to be clean and very comfortable. I am also happy that you enjoyed our Buffet Breakfast.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another excellent stay.

Regards,

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had an enjoyable 3 day stay here at the Hotel Intercontinental. The Public areas were very nice and rooms very comfortable. It was a good hotel, but i would not consider it a good value. The next hotel I stayed at gave me much more for the money (Laico Regency Hotel-3 blocks away).

There are no smoking rooms and no smoking areas except at the poolside bar. My booking stated my room would have a balcony, but there are none in the hotel.

A portion of the rooms have been updated. Currently the basic (superior) rooms are the ones yet to be refurbished. However, the are much larger and brighter than the smaller, more expensive Deluxe Rooms. This will change once all renovations have been completed. At that point the larger rooms will be more expensive. So if you don't need strong internet, I would recommend the Superior Rooms at the moment.

Fantastic linens and a selection of pillows for special needs. Even the renovated rooms have small, cheap TV's.

Location was fine, in the center of town. Easy walk to banks, government buildings and parks.

Staff overall was friendly and helpful except for a few glaring exceptions:

When preparing for checkout, I called for a Porter to pick up my bags. Twenty minutes later I called again, and still no one arrived. A third call was made in another 20 minutes. Finally, an hour after my first call, I went down to reception and complained and they finally sent someone up for my bags.

A highlight of my service experience was provided by Kennedy from the Business Center. In my original room, I was unable to connect to the internet due to technical problems within the hotel's system. After being unable to fix the problem, Kennedy arranged with the Day Manager (Neta) to upgrade me (at no charge) to a refurbished room with a hard-wired connection. GREAT JOB KENNEDY, for satisfying a customer! He is to be commended.

Speaking of Internet, the connection was excellent, both wired and WIFI in the renovated room, but not in the old room. Internet prices were crazy at $27 USD/day

Rather difficult to eat in the outside portion of the Terrace Restaurant and the pool side bar. Flies swarmed all over the area, making eating rather unpleasant. Pool was small, but not crowded, even on Sunday afternoon. Other than that, the food was very good. The selections exceeded my expectations each and every order.

Room Tip: If you don't need strong internet, I would recommend the Superior Rooms at the moment. They are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Addicted2Asia,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent experience at the InterContinental Nairobi.

I am very pleased to read your wonderful comment about our comfortable rooms, very good food and fantastic linen and pillow selections. I also appreciate your comments about our friendly staff, especially Kennedy. We have shared the comment with him and he is happy that he was able to be of assistance.

I apologize for the inconvenience because by the delay in the pick-up of your bags, and the flies in the Restaurant. Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration for improvements.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Nairobi in the near future where you may be assured of our best possible attention at all times.

Regards
Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!