“Central Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Toronto, Canada
“Central Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I liked the location of this hotel. Not to far from the airport. I only spent 2 days in this hotel. I was happy i could walk down to the market. I checked out restaurants outside of this hotel that were nice. I went to the casino aswell just to look around. My room was clean with a nice balcony view. I would return here again on my next visit to kenya

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Teelahfly,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I sincerely appreciate you complementing our facilities.

I do look forward to welcoming you back here at InterContinental Nairobi.

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

It is a great beautiful place and i enjoyed staying at the Hotel Intercontinental- Nairobi. The Public areas were very nice both at the lobby and outside next to the Swimming pool with clean and very comfortable rooms. It is in the city center and one can easily walk to shopping malls etc. I had one of the best breakfast ever in this hotel with lots of varieties and fresh food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Robert O,

Thank you very much for taking a minute of your valuable time to write an excellent review here on TripAdvisor about your experience at InterContinental Nairobi.

I am very pleased to know that you found our Public areas to be very nice and our rooms to be clean and very comfortable. I am also happy that you enjoyed our Buffet Breakfast.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another excellent stay.

Regards,

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had an enjoyable 3 day stay here at the Hotel Intercontinental. The Public areas were very nice and rooms very comfortable. It was a good hotel, but i would not consider it a good value. The next hotel I stayed at gave me much more for the money (Laico Regency Hotel-3 blocks away).

There are no smoking rooms and no smoking areas except at the poolside bar. My booking stated my room would have a balcony, but there are none in the hotel.

A portion of the rooms have been updated. Currently the basic (superior) rooms are the ones yet to be refurbished. However, the are much larger and brighter than the smaller, more expensive Deluxe Rooms. This will change once all renovations have been completed. At that point the larger rooms will be more expensive. So if you don't need strong internet, I would recommend the Superior Rooms at the moment.

Fantastic linens and a selection of pillows for special needs. Even the renovated rooms have small, cheap TV's.

Location was fine, in the center of town. Easy walk to banks, government buildings and parks.

Staff overall was friendly and helpful except for a few glaring exceptions:

When preparing for checkout, I called for a Porter to pick up my bags. Twenty minutes later I called again, and still no one arrived. A third call was made in another 20 minutes. Finally, an hour after my first call, I went down to reception and complained and they finally sent someone up for my bags.

A highlight of my service experience was provided by Kennedy from the Business Center. In my original room, I was unable to connect to the internet due to technical problems within the hotel's system. After being unable to fix the problem, Kennedy arranged with the Day Manager (Neta) to upgrade me (at no charge) to a refurbished room with a hard-wired connection. GREAT JOB KENNEDY, for satisfying a customer! He is to be commended.

Speaking of Internet, the connection was excellent, both wired and WIFI in the renovated room, but not in the old room. Internet prices were crazy at $27 USD/day

Rather difficult to eat in the outside portion of the Terrace Restaurant and the pool side bar. Flies swarmed all over the area, making eating rather unpleasant. Pool was small, but not crowded, even on Sunday afternoon. Other than that, the food was very good. The selections exceeded my expectations each and every order.

Room Tip: If you don't need strong internet, I would recommend the Superior Rooms at the moment. They are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Addicted2Asia,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent experience at the InterContinental Nairobi.

I am very pleased to read your wonderful comment about our comfortable rooms, very good food and fantastic linen and pillow selections. I also appreciate your comments about our friendly staff, especially Kennedy. We have shared the comment with him and he is happy that he was able to be of assistance.

I apologize for the inconvenience because by the delay in the pick-up of your bags, and the flies in the Restaurant. Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration for improvements.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Nairobi in the near future where you may be assured of our best possible attention at all times.

Regards
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just stayed there for two nights. It has a central location with excellent staff. Their staff was very helpful in storing some bags while I was away. The security was good, too. The food was very good, as well, and the breakfast buffet that was included with the room was excellent.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and they are far nicer than other places I have seen in Nairobi. After reading some of the other reviews, I don't disagree that the hotel could use a renovation, but it's still quite nice. I'm pretty picky, and I didn't really find anything to complain about.

I should add that they were replacing the beds when I was there, so I was apparently the first person to sleep on the new bed. Perhaps that's a run-up to the renovation that others believe needs to be made.

Room Tip: I was on the seventh floor, a few doors down from the Presidential Suite. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt M

Thank you for taking the time to write a most complimentary review about your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi.

I greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and in particular your comments about our Security, excellent breakfast buffet and spacious clean rooms. We have just replaced the beds as part of our soft renovation and I’m happy to note that you enjoyed the experience in the new beds.

We do look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Hotel is centrally located almost in front of the Parliament building and presidents palace. There is an open public park nearby with lake some rides for the kids. Rooms are spacious but needs renovation. Carpets, TV sets, curtains are old. Hotel has a gym, swimming pool, pool side bar, spa, Indian restaurant (Bandhini) and all night live music cafe. Staff is very cheerful, friendly and very hospitable. Visitors parking is small and is crowded. When we visited swimming pool was taken down for renovation. Excellent buffet breakfast. All in all good experience but property requires renovation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear kamathrk,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi. We truly value your feedback and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was a pleasure reading the observations you have shared about the spacious rooms and our very cheerful, friendly and hospitable staff.

Once again, please let us express our gratitude and appreciation for your recommendation of InterContinental Nairobi and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently stayed here for 3 nights prior to moving into my own personal residence in Nairobi. There were no frills but at the same time the hotel I felt was excellent! The food was superb with a choice of resturants and types of food available. The room was clean and very well presented and I had the best 3 nights sleep Id had in a long time. Ideally situated for the main centre of town although parking to the front of hotel is limited there is a multi storey car park within.
Finally the staff (from management downwards) were friendy, efficient and professional.
If I was to mark the hotel out of 10 it would certainly receive a 9, after all perfection is impossible to achieve, isn't it?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Martin K

Thank you for your valuable feedback! It is indeed our pleasure to consistently deliver quality service to our guests and I am pleased to know that you had a fantastic stay with us. Your comments will definitely inspire all of us to work harder and to strive for excellence in providing the best to our guests.

We look forward to your next stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of a safari tour. As other reviewers have stated, it could probably use a bit of renovation. Rooms were fine but probably below the level of many in the Intercontinental group. The pool was closed for renovation during our stay, so we couldn't use that.

We found the staff at desk and elsewhere to be very accommodating. We ate at the bkft. buffet which provided an excellent and varied selection of items. We had drinks and light meals in the bar some evenings. Prices were not too bad, and we liked our drinks and pizzas. Again service was good there.

There are 2 gift shops near the lobby, one more basic and one with higher level merchandise and crafts. We bought items in both. Prices would be better in other shops, but we liked the variety and quality in the artisan shop.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear travelsafarohio

I am very pleased to read your wonderful comment about our accommodating and friendly staff and excellent and varied selection in our Buffet.

Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated, as we rely on you, our valued guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your need.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Nairobi in the near future.

Regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!