“Very Nice....but you will pay dearly for it!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #26 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
USA
“Very Nice....but you will pay dearly for it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had an enjoyable 3 day stay here at the Hotel Intercontinental. The Public areas were very nice and rooms very comfortable. It was a good hotel, but i would not consider it a good value. The next hotel I stayed at gave me much more for the money (Laico Regency Hotel-3 blocks away).

There are no smoking rooms and no smoking areas except at the poolside bar. My booking stated my room would have a balcony, but there are none in the hotel.

A portion of the rooms have been updated. Currently the basic (superior) rooms are the ones yet to be refurbished. However, the are much larger and brighter than the smaller, more expensive Deluxe Rooms. This will change once all renovations have been completed. At that point the larger rooms will be more expensive. So if you don't need strong internet, I would recommend the Superior Rooms at the moment.

Fantastic linens and a selection of pillows for special needs. Even the renovated rooms have small, cheap TV's.

Location was fine, in the center of town. Easy walk to banks, government buildings and parks.

Staff overall was friendly and helpful except for a few glaring exceptions:

When preparing for checkout, I called for a Porter to pick up my bags. Twenty minutes later I called again, and still no one arrived. A third call was made in another 20 minutes. Finally, an hour after my first call, I went down to reception and complained and they finally sent someone up for my bags.

A highlight of my service experience was provided by Kennedy from the Business Center. In my original room, I was unable to connect to the internet due to technical problems within the hotel's system. After being unable to fix the problem, Kennedy arranged with the Day Manager (Neta) to upgrade me (at no charge) to a refurbished room with a hard-wired connection. GREAT JOB KENNEDY, for satisfying a customer! He is to be commended.

Speaking of Internet, the connection was excellent, both wired and WIFI in the renovated room, but not in the old room. Internet prices were crazy at $27 USD/day

Rather difficult to eat in the outside portion of the Terrace Restaurant and the pool side bar. Flies swarmed all over the area, making eating rather unpleasant. Pool was small, but not crowded, even on Sunday afternoon. Other than that, the food was very good. The selections exceeded my expectations each and every order.

Room Tip: If you don't need strong internet, I would recommend the Superior Rooms at the moment. They are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Addicted2Asia,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent experience at the InterContinental Nairobi.

I am very pleased to read your wonderful comment about our comfortable rooms, very good food and fantastic linen and pillow selections. I also appreciate your comments about our friendly staff, especially Kennedy. We have shared the comment with him and he is happy that he was able to be of assistance.

I apologize for the inconvenience because by the delay in the pick-up of your bags, and the flies in the Restaurant. Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration for improvements.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Nairobi in the near future where you may be assured of our best possible attention at all times.

Regards
Regional General Manager, Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just stayed there for two nights. It has a central location with excellent staff. Their staff was very helpful in storing some bags while I was away. The security was good, too. The food was very good, as well, and the breakfast buffet that was included with the room was excellent.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and they are far nicer than other places I have seen in Nairobi. After reading some of the other reviews, I don't disagree that the hotel could use a renovation, but it's still quite nice. I'm pretty picky, and I didn't really find anything to complain about.

I should add that they were replacing the beds when I was there, so I was apparently the first person to sleep on the new bed. Perhaps that's a run-up to the renovation that others believe needs to be made.

Room Tip: I was on the seventh floor, a few doors down from the Presidential Suite. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt M

Thank you for taking the time to write a most complimentary review about your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi.

I greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and in particular your comments about our Security, excellent breakfast buffet and spacious clean rooms. We have just replaced the beds as part of our soft renovation and I’m happy to note that you enjoyed the experience in the new beds.

We do look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Hotel is centrally located almost in front of the Parliament building and presidents palace. There is an open public park nearby with lake some rides for the kids. Rooms are spacious but needs renovation. Carpets, TV sets, curtains are old. Hotel has a gym, swimming pool, pool side bar, spa, Indian restaurant (Bandhini) and all night live music cafe. Staff is very cheerful, friendly and very hospitable. Visitors parking is small and is crowded. When we visited swimming pool was taken down for renovation. Excellent buffet breakfast. All in all good experience but property requires renovation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear kamathrk,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi. We truly value your feedback and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was a pleasure reading the observations you have shared about the spacious rooms and our very cheerful, friendly and hospitable staff.

Once again, please let us express our gratitude and appreciation for your recommendation of InterContinental Nairobi and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently stayed here for 3 nights prior to moving into my own personal residence in Nairobi. There were no frills but at the same time the hotel I felt was excellent! The food was superb with a choice of resturants and types of food available. The room was clean and very well presented and I had the best 3 nights sleep Id had in a long time. Ideally situated for the main centre of town although parking to the front of hotel is limited there is a multi storey car park within.
Finally the staff (from management downwards) were friendy, efficient and professional.
If I was to mark the hotel out of 10 it would certainly receive a 9, after all perfection is impossible to achieve, isn't it?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Martin K

Thank you for your valuable feedback! It is indeed our pleasure to consistently deliver quality service to our guests and I am pleased to know that you had a fantastic stay with us. Your comments will definitely inspire all of us to work harder and to strive for excellence in providing the best to our guests.

We look forward to your next stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of a safari tour. As other reviewers have stated, it could probably use a bit of renovation. Rooms were fine but probably below the level of many in the Intercontinental group. The pool was closed for renovation during our stay, so we couldn't use that.

We found the staff at desk and elsewhere to be very accommodating. We ate at the bkft. buffet which provided an excellent and varied selection of items. We had drinks and light meals in the bar some evenings. Prices were not too bad, and we liked our drinks and pizzas. Again service was good there.

There are 2 gift shops near the lobby, one more basic and one with higher level merchandise and crafts. We bought items in both. Prices would be better in other shops, but we liked the variety and quality in the artisan shop.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear travelsafarohio

I am very pleased to read your wonderful comment about our accommodating and friendly staff and excellent and varied selection in our Buffet.

Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated, as we rely on you, our valued guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your need.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Nairobi in the near future.

Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I spent one very-curtailed night at Nairobi's Intercontinental hotel in August as we were preparing for a week-plus-long safari in different sections of the country. Though our experiences then were very limited, we could not help but note, as have other recent reviewers, that the hotel is clearly in need of a major freshening up. Our room, though quite adequate in every way, appeared worn and "tired." The bathroom fixtures seemed to be relics from the Sixties (if that) and our toilet needed to be pumped before it would flush at all. The beds, though not uncomfortable, were short-sheeted and there was no extra cover even though the evening was chilly and the room cool. The TV was, perhaps for Nairobi, state-of-the art, but it too was old and somewhat of a relic. Thankfully, in our case, we arrived very late from a long, international flight and had to leave very early the next day so all we really wanted was a place to "collapse" for a few hours and the Intercontinental served very nicely.

On the other hand, it ought to be added, as others have also done, that the breakfast buffet in the morning was simply excellent, with many fresh fruits and juices, excellent omelettes, fresh breads and pastries, and a delightful waitstaff. The buffet rivaled and certainly, in some cases, bested, similar "spreads" that one might find in any major hotel in the States. If the rest of the hotel were as up-to-date and on-the-ball, the Intercontinental would easily merit a 5-star rating instead of the 3 it now deserves.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Big P,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate your positive comments on our excellent breakfast buffet and delightful wait staff. We are glad that we were able to impress you in these areas.

Your concerns about the state of some of our guest room facilities have been duly noted and appreciated for necessary actions. We have shared your review with our entire team in an effort to ensure our guests’ needs and expectations are always met and exceeded.

We look forward to your choosing to stay with us again in the near future on a less time-pressed occasion.

Best regards,
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

From the moment I was met at the airport by the hotel car, the staff were attentive and polite. My room was pre-allocated and i filled in my registration form in the car; what a simple but excellent idea, sadly rare in the hotel trade. On arrival, my suitcase was whisked away, I was guided to reception and a quick credit card authorisation dealt with professionally.

The room was clean, tidy and well equipped with iron, bathrobes, generous tea, water and coffee supplies together with nice quality toiletries. The bathroom suite was dated but acceptable and fully functional. Room service was high quality, accurately reflected my order and was quick.

Breakfast in the restaurant embraced a great choice and service was again superb. The concierge and transportation team dealt admirably with my complex business travel needs while I was there. No waiting, no reckless driving and sensible route planning.

All in all they got it right for me; nothing flashy but just good quality, reliability, professionalism and great customer focus.

Room Tip: I thought the road at the front would be noisy but it actually was not bad at all. I slept well and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear ClaraCW,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at InterContinental Nairobi and for taking the time to share your feedback. We are truly glad you had a wonderful experience.

We are happy that you were impressed by our services and facilities right from your arrival, throughout your stay, till you departure. It is reviews like these that let us know that we are doing something right, at the same time keep us on our toes as we strive to always find a way to wow our guests.

We will be greatly honored to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Best regards,

Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!