“sunday brunch” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
nairobi
“sunday brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

the whole idea is brilliant - swimming in a heated pool, live band, face painting for kids, trampoline, the clowns etc and is definately worth recommending to everyone with young kids. for this I'd give them an excellent rating however the food let's them down significantly.

we've been going for several months now and while it is very popoular with the young ones in my family, we have noted the quality of the food has started to go down.

the meats are hard and boring - no more of the succulent roasts when we first started going. It's like there is no personal attention to the detail in the food - factory food!

the salads are ok and so is the soup but that's where it ends. the indian cuisine is flat, the kenyan traditional foods are unimaginative and far from being a delicasy.

They do have an excellent waiter - William at the pool side and he makes us welcome always. he is a sharp contrast from the waiters at the bar area who are cold and always seem like they are being bothered when asked to take an order???

Intercontinetnal hotel can redeem itself if it seriously looks at ensuring the mass produced buffet food is tasty and creative.

They should also discuss with their pool side bar staff that they need to lose their attitude. without the paying guests - there's no business! and at no time should guests be made to feel that they are a bother! hospitality 101!

Room Tip: arrive early for the sunday brunch and secure a table that 'sees' the pool if you have youn...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear 4by4,

Let me first thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi as the place to spend your Sunday with your family.

I truly appreciate your comments, since this is the most efficient way for us to constantly improve our services. We are striving to monitor and improve our services and facilities we offer to all our guests and hence are always pleased to receive areas for development of such a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, especially William, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Nairobi a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

499 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was hesitant to book at this hotel, being a sister hotel of the CP where I had lousy stay and horrible experience. The minute I approached reception, I was warmly welcomed as a PC Platinum member. The front desk manager came in and greeted me. He immediately offered me a free aceess to Internet for the duration of my 3 day stay. He also offered me free breakfast and an upgrade. Room was always spotless. Food was OK but not great. Staff were all freindly and helpful. I also got a 1000 points per night and a $25 discount on the bill. On the last day, they cut hot water between 10am and 2pm for service. They must have forgot to send me a letter saying so. The manager could not apologise enough for this error and offered me a gift. I enjoyed my stay and would highly consider staying at the hotel next time I am in Nairobi

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear raed1962,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent experience at the InterContinental Nairobi.

I am very pleased to read your wonderful comment about our friendly and helpful staff and the clean and spotless bedroom. I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding our Priority Club member recognition.

Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated, as we rely on you, our valued guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your need. Your comments will be shared with our entire team, as corroboration to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Nairobi a leader in excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Nairobi in the near future where you may be assured of our best possible attention at all times.

Regards,

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

As per my last review of this hotel being mediocre, nothing really changed in the 6 months that passed since my last visit.

I will give kudos to the front desk attendant, who told me about a $25 food voucher I can get for free - got it and used it - nice touch. At the same time, another attendant has double billed me, which I noticed only when I was about to put my pin code in to authorize the Visa transaction - seriously?

The selection of food items for breakfast is rather poor, even for Africa.

Next time I'll try the Serena, as I had an absolutely excellent lunch there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear DrSavant,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the double billing on your Visa Card.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding the $25 Food and Beverage voucher we are offering our Priority Club Members. I hope you also took advantage and signed up for the 1000 bonus Priority Club points per night promotion which ends 3rd September 2012.

We have noted your comment on the breakfast selection and will work to improve it.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Kind regards,

Bombay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed over in this hotel as I missed my onward connection. This hotel is located very close to the Parliament house and in the heart of the Central Business District. The rooms appeared to be a bit cramped up, but ok for a night stay. The hotel serves buffet breakfast and dinner.

The hotel also has an Indian restaurant on the ground floor which serves fairly decent Indian food.

The property overall is clean and in a safe area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Bombaybrat,

Thank you very much for choosing InterContinental Nairobi for your stay, and for taking the time to write your review which we appreciate.

We are glad that you enjoyed the stay and look forward to see you again soon at our fine Hotel.

Best regards

Hyderabad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Was overall an average experience, average room, lobby, average food, average service levels. We were actually given wrong information at the front desk. Were told our tariff included breakfast and dinner. At the Restaurant they encouraged us to order more at dinner time, as it included everything, and then got us a bill!
Nothing special, overall average, works well as a stopover place before you go to the to Wildlife Parks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Rajeev_Shroff,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the wrong information about your tariff.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

Karl Hala,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The hotel is definitely showing its age but it convenient to the city center and the airport. The staff was extremely accommodating when we asked for a room change.

The restaurants have a lot of variety and the bar/lounge had a great local band on the weekend evenings.

It was a great place to regroup after a long safari in the bush.

Room Tip: Stay above the 2nd floor on in a room with an odd number.
Dear JaceyRight,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at Intercontinental Nairobi. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post this encouraging review. We truly value your feedback and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a great Safari.

It was a pleasure reading the observations you have shared about our staff, the variety of restaurants and the great local band.

Once again, please let us express our gratitude and appreciation for your recommendation of Intercontinental Nairobi and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

UAE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel for 4 nights during our visit to kenya to enjoy wildlife and safari. the hotel is ideally located near the Parliament bldg. in the heart of the Nairobi City. Rooms were excellent, very clean and superb service. Hotel restaurants had wide variety of food. Indian restaurant Bandini is a good choice. Restaurant next to Bandini had theme buffet each day and it was too good. Hotel staff is very friendly. The souvenier shop in the ground floor has good collection and reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Sunil K,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the InterContinental Nairobi. We appreciate that you chose our fine Hotel for your stay.

We are glad that you have had a wonderful experience here with us and we are committed as usual to put all our efforts to extend best services to our dear clients.

Hope to see you again here at the InterContinental Nairobi.

Best regards

Regional General Manager, Africa

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!