“Good city centre hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 105 Hotels in Nairobi
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Good city centre hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed two nights on a business trip. Room was on the 3rd floor. Rather dated but clean and comforatable. (Higher floors have been renovated). Very good service from everyone at the hotel.
Good buffet breakfast. (My rate included wi-fi. Unfortunately the service was very patchy and often did not work. I would not have been pleased if I had paid extra for the service). Hotel provides airport transfers and cars for getting around the city at reasonable rates.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
InterContinental_10, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your stay at the InterContinental Nairobi. We are glad to hear that you were happy with our hotel service.
With regards to your concerns regarding wi fi, please note that the entire country had problems with internet connection on the 19th March due to a cut in the undersea fiber cable supplying the entire country. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
We hope to see you back again soon and thank you in advance for your praise and recommendation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel a number of times of the year while on business in Kenya and have always found it excellent. The club floor is especially good as is the service. It quite and very comfortable rooms are very welcome to the tired traveller.

Stayed December 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your stay at the InterContinental Nairobi. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our club rooms and the facilities of the Club InterContinental lounge.
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We were at the intercontinental as a first stop between arriving at the airport and starting our safari. Check in was efficient and quick. We were escorted to ur room by a porter who gave us a run down on room. I was surprised that we were advised by the staff not to use the water to brush our teeth. For such a large hotel that caters to foreign travelers I would have expected it to have purified water system. The range of rooms for the same price is also interesting, from basic to quite lovely all at the same price. Seems to be random how they are assigned. Advice: if you do not like your room, request a change as it is unlikely it will result in an additional charge. Please note that the "mineral water" in the rooms is not what we would call mineral water in the USA: it is simply filtered spring water-no effervescence or sulfur or other metallic taste.

You can order a wake up call via the telephone system.

We ate dinner at the hotel. The restaurant we wanted to eat in was closed for a private function, so we ate in the Terrace Restaurant. The menu included a few basics, lots of pizza, a pasta dish or two, salads and a buffet. Service was polite but slow. Staff definitely have English as their second language, but with hand signals and mime we were able to get our point across. Items are cooked to order so expect a delay. As there is no water purification system in the hotel, we opted not to eat any fresh fruits or vegetables. (our travel health professionals advised us not to eat any fresh produce in places without a water purification system as the veggies are washed in contaminated water) When our meals arrived they were well cooked, and nicely presented. Serving sizes were moderate. As in many hotel dining options prices were high for what you got.

Breakfast was included in our package. Again we opted not to eat any fresh fruit, but did have a cheese omelet, toast, and bacon. Kenya has very anemic eggs, so the omelets look like egg-white omelets even though they use the whole eggs. Not the hotel's fault. . . our eggs all over Kenya had almost white yolks. The omelets were cooked well, and breakfast was very satisfying.

Room Tip: If you do not like your room, ask to be changed. Many different quality rooms are available for the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your stay at the InterContinental Nairobi. We thank you for commendations on our Check-in procedures and the quality of our food served in the restaurant. We will be sure to pass these on to our teams in appreciation.
We have followed up on the areas of concern regarding your stay with us and taken your feedback constructively to address any areas that require re-training of staff, particularly the service related concerns in the restaurant.
We would like to clarify some other areas where you may have been given incorrect information with regards to our hotel. The complimentary bottles of water in our rooms, are officially classified as mineral water by the Kenya Bureau of Standards and are purchased by renowned local and multi-national suppliers in the city.
With regards to water quality in the hotel, we have a water treatment plant on site through which all our water including Municipal supply is treated prior to use. Our hotel processed water meets World Health Organization requirements for consumption.
Our fresh fruits and vegetables on offer are accordingly washed with this purified water as well as being further sanitized using a sanitizing product from a global supplier. All inspections confirm that it is thus fine for one to consume the fresh produce served in our establishment.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you are travelling to Nairobi again so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.
Once again please do accept my apologies in the areas that may have fallen short of your expectations and I do hope that the remainder of your trip was most enjoyable.
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

My latest sojourn into Nairobi started well at the airport, first off the plane, first through immigration, almost first to get my priority baggage and then whizzing through customs and on to the airport desk of the InterContinental Nairobi.
And lo and behold, my check in form was ready to sign, 'just s signature here Sir and thank you, here are your key cards' before the limo driver turned up, put my bags into the car and we set off to the hotel in the city. Traffic had some mercy on us and it took less than an hour to reach. Security was tight, even for the hotel limo which had boot and bonnet opened and the underside of the car inspected, that hotel group taking no risks to let anyone through the extra fortified barriers without ascertaining that all is kosher.
The door man greeted me by name when opening the car door and in no time was I installed on a top floor suite. Inspite of the hotel having been around since the 70's, the rooms continue to appear shiny and crisp, and every little thing was working, from the flat iron in the wardrobe to the sockets and the internet.
Opting for a suite has several advantages, first creating work space in the 'room' and secondly giving access to the hotels' Club Lounge on the 6th floor, where equally one can conduct meetings in a little separate meeting space or else meet guests from outside the hotel for a cup of tea, coffee and snacks which change according to the time of day.
A new buffet set up was tried out while I was there and I found the little changes worked and made a difference, including the stylish little dishes for mini sandwiches and salad creations.
It is always a home coming for me to the InterConti and on my first night, International Women's Day as it was, I found myself even invited to the function the hotel hosted that night, celebrating the achievements of women, crucially important especially in the African society's context, part of InterContinental's social responsibility programmes, which extend from women's rights support to schools to environmental projects.
Being located right near parliament, within walking distance to the recently refubished Kenyatta International Conference Centre and right at the edge of the central business district, one is never far from where one has to be for meetings.
I maintain, the InterConti remains an excellent choice, accommodation wise, food wise and service wise, with special mention again going to the superb staff at the Club Lounge, who turned into personal concierges, problem solvers and help centres for their guests every day I stayed this time. Well done, 5 star status reaffirmed without hesitation.

Room Tip: I suggest taking either a fully fledged suite or else a room on the 06th 'Executive Floor'...
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I stayed here for the first time this month and whilst having lived in Nairobi and known the hotel for many years this was the first time I stayed as a guest. The key is to ensure you request a new room since the hotel has been renovated but only about half of it. The new rooms are of a high standard that you would expect from a 5 star hotel. They do cost a little bit more but are worth it. I had a room on the executive level which allows you to check in at a reception upstairs and make use of the executive lounge for private dining. This is great if you need a quieter area for business meetings. If you are a leisure traveller then I suspect this would not be necessary. Rooms have all the amenities. A comfortable king size bed is set in a bigger than average floor space with a separate bathroom and great finishes. My only negative comments on the room would be that the TV was an old one and not a new flat screen (which didn't matter since I didn't even turn it on) and there is no separate shower in the bathroom.

The rest of the hotel is great. Good food and the Indian restaurant is great. The bar by the poolside is a nice place for a sundowner even if you hear the Nairobi traffic...but its part of the charm.

If you need a hotel that is in the centre of Nairobi then the Intercon is definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for one of the renovated new rooms
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

The Intercontinental Nairobi is in a good location in Central Nairobi and the staff are a credit to the hotel. Always helpful, firendly with wide engaging smiles. The room rate of US $ 355 was WAY over the top though for the quality. When I arrived the AC didn't work only to find it was switched off at the unit concealed in the celing! During my three day stay the room was never less than 24Celsius despite leaving AC for a day and a night. I would wake during the night sweating somewhat. My colleague arrived from US to find no towels in his room, no remote for the TV and room sweltring hot. They did change his room but that was even smaller and tiny TV. The Internet was always a constant battle to get to work which may be otside the control of the hotel but the system they have in place is not very good apart from the server.The restaurants we tried, the food was always very good indeed. That included their Indian restaurant, main "coffee shop" and the club level snacks etc. Staff there are great!
The management need to get on top of the niggly problems that blighted the visit and reduce room rate by half for size of room and what is on offer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Lethbridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The apearance of the hotel and the rooms are fine, really I could not complain about the comfort of the hotel. I stayed there recently for a conference with approximately 20-25 other delegates for four days. During my stay the following three issues occurred:
1. My purse was stolen from the conference centre during the exhibition
2. My camera was stolen from a hidden compartment in my suitcase, which was in room-including the charger and the connection cable (this would imply that someone was in my room long enough to go through all of my luggage and find something that was of value to them).
3. I was double charged the room rate on my credit card 1384.06 USD.
I complained about first the purse being stolen, they said they would review their security cameras and provide me with a police abstract. They did not come back to me, I had to track down the security manager and the duty manager several times-finally the response was they do not have security cameras there and they would eventually get me a police abstract. I finally got the police abstract an hour before I left (this was three days after the incident).
Two days after the issue with the purse, I went to get my camera from the inside compartment in my suitcase, and it was gone along with the charger and connection cable. I was outraged and the duty manager and security manager both said they would look into who had been in my room but actually did nothing about it. I was offered no apologies, remuneration or support from the staff. Then when I got home and got my visa bill I found that the hotel had ran the room charge through twice!
The room cost 1384.06 USD including transport and other incidentals. The value of contents in my purse was approximately $2000-phone, wallet, purse, and cash. The camera was approximately $200. The hotel overcharged $1384.06. Thus the unrecouped costs that the four nights stay cost me $3584.06 USD.
Would I recommend this hotel-definitely not! Oh and the response that I got from the staff was that I should put stuff in my safe, I said surely I could not put everything I own in the safe-plus the safe did not work.
Stay at your own risk!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!