“Business” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 97 hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Very good, clean hotel. Very helpful staff. Quite considering hotel is just of the main highway. Not close to airport so inconvienent for early morning flights.
Good shopping area close by.
Food execelent and many options available. Internet speed fairly poor, not surprising as it is Africa. Executive lounge had many options during happy hour.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Taken out of the 80s, it needs urgently a renovation. Staff is very helpful, security is good.

Room Tip: Go for the suites, the difference is vast
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Kabul, Afghanistan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed at the Intercontinental in Nairobi for a total of 12 nights in August/September 2011 (an 11 night stay and a 1 night stay). The purpose of my trip was primarily business, and I travel frequently throughout Africa, so I have a pretty good frame of reference.

On the positive side, the food was consistently good. I wasn’t served a single dish that I didn’t like. Room service was also very quick, typically taking only about 20 minutes. Additionally, the staff were warm and friendly, without exception. The concierge desk was also very helpful and I used them frequently for maps, dinner recommendations, transportation, etc., and to book some weekend day trips. The location of the hotel was also decent, within walking distance of many things.

However, on the con list…
- My first room (628) had the worst mattress that I have ever slept on in my life. Seriously, awful. The whole right half of the bed was permanently sloping downwards toward the floor – there must have been broken springs. (My second room (605) was much more comfortable.)
- Each room has a small tiled area near the window, where the desk and couch are located. The problem is that chairs moving across the tile make a lot of noise, audible from the neighboring rooms.
- The bathroom had mildew spots, and my toilet did not flush consistently.
- My first night there was a concert in the street just on the street just down from the hotel. While this is not the hotel’s fault, I had asked what time the concert would be ending and was told 8pm. However, the concert did not end until after 10pm. Had I been told the truth, I would have switch to a room on the other side of the hotel, because after a long day of travel I needed to catch some sleep before my early wake up call!
- The safe in my room was not functional the first day. I notified the front desk on my way to work, who assured me that they would fix it while I was out for the day. However, it was not fixed when I returned, and I had to ask again (to their credit, they were there very quickly after the 2nd request).
- I came from work one day and my room had not been cleaned, nor had my laundry been returned.
- The internet is SLOW, even by Africa standards (600 KSH for 3 hours).
- The spa needs some TLC. Only 1 jet worked in the hot tub.
- Both times, the porter that brought my bags to the room left them on the floor, rather than using the luggage stand (minor, but annoying, and not how it should be at a “nice” hotel).
- During check in for my last night, I was informed that there would be a 1 hour power outage from 5-6 for repairs. Okay, no big deal. However, what they didn’t tell me is that the hotel was running on a generator full-time, meaning that the air conditioner wouldn’t work. Grrr… Further, the power (and water too, as a result) went out completely from 6:15 – 7:45 the following morning. As this was a Monday, getting ready for work was therefore not easy. When the generator kicked on again, it was incredibly loud from my room at the back.

My opinion in summary is that for 1 or 2 nights as you pass through Nairobi the hotel will do. But if you have a lengthy stay, all of the little annoyances really add up, and you realize that you aren’t getting what you’re paying for.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

For 2 days, July 19th and 20th 2011, my wife and I visited Nairobi,Kenya.We stayed
at the Intercontinental Nairobi and found the staff to be exceptionally friendly,courteous
and helpful. For our first day in Nairobi, the night concierge,Assad, helped us arrange a
day trip where he truly considered our needs and our budget.He found a great person
named Kennedy to drive us around the city. Kennedy was very personable and respectful
and made our day trip an amazing experience.
I highly recommend the Intercontinental Nairobi Hotel to stay at when you come to visit
Kenya. Also, ask for Kennedy to be your driver for a day.He's great!!!
Noel Mouldovan
Teaneck, New Jersey

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

As always the lovely door personnel, security, front desk, servers, etc. ware all so welcoming and warm. The lobby area was nice, our standard room was also ok. The spa was pretty disappointing, in bad need of updating and repair. The restaurants seemed to need the same kind of attention. VERY comfortable beds compared others in Kenya so the restful sleep was wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade as the standard rooms are really nothing special
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stay in the IC Nairobi 3-4 times a year & I've known what to expect. Service is good & consistent, but not exceptional. The only reason I've not moved to the Norfolk is loyalty points. After checking out on my last visit I vowed never to return. The last 2 times I have stayed the hotel bar was overrun by raucous British Airways crew who were only ordering mixers, so they could add their pilfered from BA vodka miniatures & then openly throwing the empties on the floor. The same scenario happened by the pool with rudeness & contempt to other guests. I though the first occasion was a one off, but twice in a row is too much. I have chatted to many BA & KLM crew in the InterCon Nairobi before who up until my last 2 visits have been very socaible & knew how to behave. The hair that broke the camels back!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Overall impression: I have an overall good impression of the Intercontinental Nairobi, Kenya. The hotel is already a littlte bit aged and all facilities not on the latest status. However everything on an aceeptable level and especially in Africa compared to others options in a very good shape.
Check-in: efficient and friendly
room: old style, with a nice bed as you always can expect in Intercontinetal hotels; TV is very small and quite old; no pay-tv is available
in-room service: efficient and acceptable food
bathroom: old but ok
Internet access at room available (free on Club level)
For business reason I would come back to this hotel. In overall I felt myself safe.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!