“Great hotel...not so great location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #28 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Brooklyn, ny
“Great hotel...not so great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for two nights prior to embarking on a safari. The breakfast buffet was terrific and varied with many local dishes, fresh fruit, good baked goods. Rooms were large and well maintained. My only issue was that the hotel is located in a business area and everything closes down before 5PM. There was not even a place to buy a bottle of water after that time except for the hotel bar. On the plus side, there is a park right across the street which was full of local families on the Sunday we arrived. It was interesting walking through there and we enjoyed the attention of the local people who were curious about where we were from, etc.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

507 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed at the Intercontinental on the 29th of May as well as on the 4th and 5th of June, 2001. The hotel is well located within the city and is walking distance from a mall as well as good eating joints. The coffee shop serves excellent buffet lunches and dinners and also has an authentic Indian restaurant. The hotel staff was helpful as we were travelling with two children and organised comfortable extra beds in the room.

Overall a very comfortable stay

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Upon a return from the Seychelles a week and a half ago I stayed my initial two nights at the Intercontinental Hotel before heading out on a short safari into the Rift Valley.
The evening arrival at the front desk was no problem as my room had been held, even in case of a delayed flight, but as Kenya Airways was spot on time it was the Nairobi traffic which delayed me in reaching the hotel.
I had requested 'my' suite on the 7th floor and it was presenting itself again at its 'Sunday best', fruit basket, a welcome letter from management and the bathrooms equipped with amenities of the finest pedigree.
Wireless internet is available but can be substituted via a dedicated wire solution available on BOTH desks in the bedroom and sitting room.
As a global luxury business brand the Intercontinental shows its class wherever one is found adn here in Africa the 'InterConti' is always a place to meet the who is who, dine in style with a choice of a half dozen restaurants or, and here is my favourite, use the 6th Floor Club Lounge which is open from early morning till very late at night.
A meeting room is available there, but should be booked through the lounge attendants for private meetings but there are otherwise enough tables to have a cup of tea, enjoy a quiet breakfast away from the bubbling crowd downstairs, have some snacks during the day and enjoy a Daily Happy Hour between 18.00 and 20.00 hrs.
I came a little late on my arrival day, courtesy of traffic, but still got some delicious canapees served from the little kitchen and a glass of chilled white wine ... very mindful the staff there are that it is service which matters to their guests and not bureaucratic application of time based templates.
It was another happy return and stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Norddeutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We staid only one night in this Hotel so this review is not based on a broad experience. The hotel seems to be well secured, the staff was friendly and helpful (and efficient) the room we had was clean with the minibar missing. The big minus was the early morning gymnastic because of the too low shower. The room was what you expect from an interconti with the plus side that it was good isolated.

The hotel offers a nice pool and the breakfast offers a lot of choices and they even offer a lot of african items.

All in all nothing special but for one night nothing wrong as well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

The hotel is one of the best in Nairobi. The location is excellent right in the city centre. Staff are very good and the rooms and facilities are top class. The restaurants are very good and do a good bbq style buffet which changes each night. Whilst there I joined the business club for wifi and breakfast which was good value and in a nice quiet separated room on one of the floors. All in all a very good hotel and I would recommend for very pleasant stay in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Get to know staff as they have good tips
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

The IC was a perfect hotel for me, though maybe slightly overpriced. There is a high emphasis on security at the gate and on the main entrance. Staff were friendly and the hotel public areas (lobby/restaurants/bars) were all of a high standard. Check-in was very straight forward. The room was more 4* rather than 5* but still very pleasant and comfortable to stay in. Would recommend.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Lusaka, Zambia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I was stayed at the Intercontinental Nairobi for 1 week in early April 2011. I am a Gold Priority Club Member and Intercontinental Ambassador. The staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful as you would expect for the price of the room. The Hotel was typical of the Intercontinental look and feel although the room slightly smallish compared to other rooms I have stayed in elsewhere with the chain. The food is fantastic and should be at those prices. I recommend they Kenyan dishes. Very tasty. Room Service has an extensive menu from Italian, local, Inidan and others. The 24 hour internet will cost you an arm and a leg @ USD $26 for 24 hours which is highway robbery. The wireless was not reliable so cable/LAN was used for the most part.

MY MOST NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE: I have to say I did not appreciate the way the head security man treated my friend who is a local when he came to visit me to say hello and catch up. My friend forgot his ID on the first night so I came down to vouch for him and sign him in. I totally understand the need for security but he almost eye-balled and glared at my guest like he was a piece of crap. My visitor received almost the same treatment every time he came to visit me over the 7 days even when he came with ID. This is UNACCEPTABLE as far as I am concerned. I was extremely annoyed when my visitor came to see me on the first night and I was told I by front desk that I had to pay and extra $50 (maybe more from memory) if my guest wanted to stay the night. He was only coming up for a coca-cola and a chat. I asked Reception if they were implying that my male friend and I were sleeping together as I only had a King size bed in the room. The receptionist and security man back pedalled very quickly when I told them I resented the implication. I wasn't happy at all. It was like being in boarding school and as a 39 year old man it is not welcome nor appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if it is low season.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!