“Good business hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Stayed here for business. the check in was a small problem that was due to lots of being trying to check in at the same time. we got free drinks for waiting. that was nice, it made a good impression on me. the room is great, the place is clean and the staff are all friendly and helpful.
good breakfast and nice indian resturant. if your in nairobi for business. this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I was staying at the Intercontinental Nairobi after my trip to Egypt was canceled due to the demonstration.The whole check in experience was excellent n we were received with quite hospitality of the highest magnitude;we were provided with glasses of juices and a warm towel and the actual check in just took 4 minutes.
What amazed me a lot was the experience and knowledge of one of the porters a Mr Abgao Asad who's diverse experience of the facilities in and outside the hotel were amazing.
We had a booking at the Haandi restaurant during our stay so ew had gone to order for a taxi to take us there but to our surprise this guy convinced us to have dinner in their Indian restaurant which to me it was quite an exprience.
We also had a problem with our flight since the flight was a connecting one we wanted to change the flights date since my mum wasn't feeling well.
Mr Abgao went out of his way and decided to go himself to the Airpor to change the flights since the town offices were closed.
If this is ot hospitality at its best i don't know what is.
It was quite a surprise to find a porter who had a diverse concierge knowledge.
Just hope to be back soon.
Asante.
Christy

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Accra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Not sure where to start....to be honest was not entirely certain what to expect. The outside of the hotel doesn't seem too impressive. Inside however I thought it was fine. Check in was quick enough. My main gripe is the price. I feel that $320 per night (breakfast excluded) is seriously not worth the money. I was horrified that I had to pay for the wi fi (at $320 per night?) and it was so slow! And I'm from West Africa, where the Internet service is equally slow but certainly faster than the hotel.

I opted out of breakfast since I was leaving early anyway and only staying 1 night. The room I was in was fine enough, the bathroom not what I expected for that price but I was exhausted from my trip anyway so I didn't care. Amazed that there is no bathroom, slippers etc.

Seriously not worth the price and I'll be looking for cheaper options when next in Nairobi.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

This is not a hotel one would expect from a brand such as Intercontinental, which I have grown to expect comfort, elegance, and modern decor. The reception area was good, breakfast was fair, but the room we were given needed major upgrade ... the knob to control the vintage AC was missing, there were no towels in the bathroom, the old TV does not work, missing bar fridge, etc. I can usually put up with some inconveniences, but I had high expectations with the Intercontinental brand and this was truly a disappointment.

I hope Intercontinental management will take note of my comments and seriously consider taking on a major facelift, or disassociate the name with this establishment. This hotel gives the Intercontinental Hotel chain a very bad name.

Try Crowne Plaza Nairobi instead, especially if you're on a business trip.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

unfortenatly some reviewers are very right
i had a superior room , but the bathroon was like 3 square meters , last rufurnished in 1971 i think. plumbing is horrible , you heare all the bathroomnoises from the rooms next up and under you . staff is extremely unhappy , not seen one smile , checking in and out takes much to long . very safe though , but if i want to sleep in total security i would go to a police station , not to a hotel were the safety procedures are striker than in New york airport after 911 . expensive an bad breakfast . very good bed though . very expensive for the way they treat you . i dont believe they ever tried to understand the word hospitality. better try fairview , fairmont or hilton if you want this kind of hotels in the center.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Whatever you do, DON'T STAY HERE! This hotel is incredibly old, falling apart, and not up to par with regular Intercontinental Hotel standards, surprising especially since I'm paying ~$250 USD per night before taxes. Things that went wrong:

-Upon checking into the room, my internet (wired and wireless) wasn't working so they had to call an engineer here to take a couple of hours to fix it. Couldn't switch me to another room because they were full. Internet is NOT free either.
-Electric outlets randomly DO NOT WORK and cannot charge anything!
-TV initially didn't work, I had to fiddle around with the plug. The TV is also incredibly old and most of the channels do not work.
-At one point I tried to go upstairs using the elevator but no, it was broken. No sign or anything, just not working.
-Checked out the basement gym, and it was just drab and out-dated. I don't think I'm going to work out there because it's just going to make me really sad.
-Place in general is just old. I can hear things randomly creaking from unglued tiles.
-Can hear people outside in the hallway talking very clearly. Makes it hard to sleep!

I think the only redeeming factor is that the service was really nice and friendly and the hotel is located pretty centrally. That's about it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Nice hotel in the CBD with very good security. I spent a couple of nights here with 3 friends over Christmas, we arrived late around 20:00 on Christmas Eve and proceeded to check-in when the problems started. I made our reservation back in November but with Hotels.com rather than direct with the hotel, they had difficulty pulling up the reservation despite me having a copy of the reservation information and the correct credit card, at which point they told me that wasn't the card I used despite it tallying with the invoice. After a while they pulled up a reservation which was in my name but had an American address on it, we proceeded to go up to the room, but when we got into it there was only 2 beds instead of 3. I had booked a triple as there was 3 of us, not two! We called up room service and they assured us they would get another bed sent to the room while we had dinner.

The hotel has 3 different restaurants from what I could see, an Italian, Indian and the main one, at the time the Italian was closed for refurbishment, we opted for the Indian which was pretty good food, though I had a cocktail which wasn't very good. When we got back to our room over two hours later the bed still hadn't been delivered up to the room and we had to make several more calls to get this sorted out, by the time a bed arrived it was about 1am, we also needed to get further towels as there wasn't an adequate amount.

The rooms were clean and of an adequate size with A/C TV's ironing boards and laundry services. The hotel also has a pool which is a nice size and well maintained and has several bars to go to, gym, and business centre. One of my friends did enquire about the barbers as he wanted to get a wet shave and haircut and was advised by reception that it would be open at 9am in the morning. When he went down the next day he was advised the barber was off for the next 2 days!

Overall the stay was fairly enjoyable and the hotel certainly has plenty of facilities and is of a modern standard, but the service just really let the place down, staff were polite but there just seemed to be a lack of been able to get anything done. I have now got back home and found that I have been charged twice for the room so I'm now going to have to try and get this money back which is just going to be a hassle. I would probably recommend this hotel as it was fairly good value but if you can get somewhere of equal standard for the same price I would think about heading there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to InterContinental Nairobi? Share your experiences!