“Leaking roof, old rooms, good staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi

You added Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi to your Saves list
Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr. Parklands Road & Msapo Close, Parklands | PO Box 66807, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Offers & Announcements
10% OFF DINNER AT OASIS
Ranked #17 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Leaking roof, old rooms, good staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I liked quite a lot about this hotel other than my hotel room. The room itself was tired and in need of a refurb.. Ancient old carpet over parquet floor, old TV. And then we had some rain which meant that at 4 AM I was moving all my stuff around the room to stop it getting wet as the roof was leaking. Possibly unusual but not very impressive.
Other than that I liked the staff, I liked the poolside restaurant and the general atmosphere.

Room Tip: Avoid room 210
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
London, U.K.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I could smoothly check-in at around 10 am without extra costs as I arrived in Nairobi early in the morning. The room for two of us was reasonably sized with a very comfortable double bed and a standard quality bathroom. The room was equipped with a modern air-conditioner and a very loosely attached ceiling fan (which looked very dangerous when switched on). There was no information about wi-fi access but I was given an ID and password after speaking to the reception.
I had buffet style breakfast in the dining room which was located right next to one of the swimming pools in the hotel. The quality of breakfast was reasonable and the staff was very attentive and efficient.
Probably one of the best hotels in Nairobi but cannot expect anything of a global high standard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

An excellent hotel in the middle of Nairobi.
As a businessman, I need a hotel that is clean, efficient and I am comfortable in.
There are probably better hotels but you will pay more for them than they are really worth.
I don't feel this about the Southern Sun.

This is the second time I have stayed here and I would go back time and time again.
You can only eat in the Spur once or twice, so you knowing one or two good restaurants nearby is a good idea.
The hotel restaurant is a hotel restaurant and there is nothing wrong with it, but there are better restaurants in Nairobi which are close enough to use.

The staff are excellent, very obliging and will help you as much as they can.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Westmount, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The highlight is the setting; with gardens, greenery, swimming, and a nice gated escape from the busy streets. My room was clean and fine, but nothing special. I had an air conditioner, but check that your room will have one when you reserve (apparently not all rooms have AC). Breakfast was a very good buffet. The fitness centre was quite good too. It also seems to have a nice bar + restaurant (although I did not visit/use them). I would certainly consider staying there again which is often the best compliment. Liked the free wifi.

Room Tip: Make sure your reserved room will have air conditioning (because not all do - yet)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sandbach, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Arrived at the Southern Sun Mayfair Hotel after a very exciting drive through busy Nairobi at 5pm on a Friday Night - an amazing (though nerving) experience.

Check-in was effortless and we were led to and shown around our room.

The room was very pleasant, nice view of the gardens, we laid out, air-conditioned, great bathroom, TV, ceiling fan and just what we wanted after 6 long days on safari.

We dined in the adjoining spur restaurant which is just a basic American diner. There is another buffet restaurant available if you wish.

The hotel has a great deal of history it also used to be a university campus until it was recently renovated and turned back into a hotel. The internal grounds are superb with some stunning flora and fauna. It has lots of extra facilities, business lounge, two pools, gift shop etc…

Breakfast is by the pool and I’ve never seen such an amazing choice of food to choose from. Everything for the modern palate. Everyone was very nice and friendly.

A great little find and we’d happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Room facing into one of the inner courtyards might be preferred. better views and may be a litle qui...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. The first night was great no issues..Good breakfast and very large variety of items.I was to check out on sunday morning to catch an international flight. Had my breakfast which is served till 11am on weekends went back to my room and into the shower. This is when the problems started.
In the middle of the shower and with wet hair the water stopped running. I called reception who said they would contact housekeeping and get back to me in 5 minutes. Waited over 10 minutes and called again. Still the same promise..will call me back in 5 minutes. All in all after 40 minutes no response. I was then told the manager would speak to me. Again had to ring reception 3 times before finally getting to speak to the manager who assured me the problem would be solved in 6 minutes. I explained that I had been waiting for over 45 minutes and had an international flight to catch. He came to my room and saw the problem for himself.He was very casual about it..so I explained to him that I could not travel on an international flight wtihout a shower or shave...and probably smelly ...I was NOT offered another room where I could use the shower etc. I had no option but to start packing as otherwise i would miss my flight and incur penalties. ...all in all NOT a good experience and when one is paying the kind of prices charged one expects better service and responses from management. Will never stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you like good service etc.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here for just three days prior to a safari. It definately has a transit hotel feel to it. It's very pretty to look at, the grounds are nice and the rooms a good size and faacilities all there.

The rooms are single glazed and we were unfortunate to be on the main pathway (315), we didn't realise the impact until about 5am on the first day when I thought people were in the room due to the noise. It's so loud it's very difficult to sleep beyond 5am - this was a real down side.

There are two swimming pools, the one at the restaurant is more for decoration but there is a pool at the back for swimming and lounging but the water is way too cold to be comfortable.

We used the beauty salon for mani and pedis and this was good. We also used the hotel casino, it's just the other side of the car park. It was good fun and very cheap so made a nice night out.

Finally, we found the reception staff pretty unhelpful. One evening we asked them for a restaurant recommendation. After looking blankly at us for a few minutes she rang the attached fast food restuarant to see if they knew anywhere! Really you don't have a book of recommendations?? This was typical of the service on reception we found.

Room Tip: Avoid anything on the path!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi? Share your experiences!