“Peaceful Oasis in Parklands” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi

You added Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi to your Saves list
Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr. Parklands Road & Msapo Close, Parklands | PO Box 66807, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Offers & Announcements
10% OFF DINNER AT OASIS
Ranked #15 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Hobart
“Peaceful Oasis in Parklands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

According to the printed hotel blurb in the rooms, the hotel has gone through a few lives since originally opening in the 1940's and for a while operating as a private university.

The note from the GM on arrival acknowledges that the rooms are undergoing refurbishment and whilst they are clean and comfortable there is still work to be done. Nairobi was cool at night so aircon was not an issue and everything worked well.

The staff, from arrival through security, reception, room service, the poolside bar and restaurant, business lounge and business centre are friendly and efficient.

Security in Nairobi is a big issue, this hotel is located in the Parklands suburb just to the west of the CBD and offers a nice garden environment surrounded by secure perimeter walls and fences. There is a large shopping centre just 5 minutes walk away which appeared to be a quite safe walk during daylight. At night, taxis are cheap and plentiful.

Nairobi hotels are quite expensive for accommodation, but I was quite surprised at the very reasonable costs of food and beverage. My room rate included breakfast that consisted of a very wide choice, beautifully cooked and served in a friendly manner.

I had no problems with free wi-fi and the staff offered an additional voucher for my iphone.

The really nice part of this experience is the garden setting in the middle of a chaotic, traffic congested city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

while the grounds and buildings are absolutely beautiful and a great introduction to Nairobi if its your first time, the rooms and the business services are lacking-including the internet connectivity and this has been the case the past few times I have stayed there.
It is one of the few kid friendly hotels in Nairobi that is still within walking distance to malls, they have great food and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I spent one night at this hotel at the beginning of our honeymoon. We were looking for a good nights rest before a safari trip but ended up not sleeping much at all. The hotel grounds were beautiful and the staff were very kind.

We were shown to our room and that's where the disappointment started. The room looked pretty beat up and in need of some TLC. It had a pretty bad smell as if a quick coat of paint had been applied to a heavily smoked-in room. My wife immediately asked me to go exchange the room but I made the mistake not to pursue it, we were exhausted from our travels and just wanted to sleep. Looking back, I should have asked for a different room, I'm sure they would have helped us out. My wife was able to fall asleep while I prepared the luggage for the next day. While she slept, I encountered a nasty white worm(?) crawling up the wall. If she would have seen it, that would have been the end of our stay there. I didn't mention the worm until we left but I told her that I did take care of it so it wouldn't follow us in our travels.

Other than the room experience, the hotel had great service at the restaurants and the food was good as well. If they can clean the rooms up this would be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here 1 night before and 1 after safari. It is a lovely hotel, friendly staff and good breakfast. I wished we had booked our last 3 nights here too. There are 2 pools to chose from, one being very quiet and one by the restaurant. I highly recommend.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife an I stayed here for 3 nights. When we arrived the reception staff were happy and helpful - right from the entrance to checkin - most accommodating. We were given a lovely room on the first floor with a private balcony. It is a very relaxing and peacful place, well laid out and has most immaculate lush gardens and fish ponds tastefully designed as you walk around the grounds. Both pools were clean and inviting. All the staff were interested in our stay and very keen to assist with advising and arranging site seeing tours. The room was large, clean and really comfortable - no problems whatsoever. The restaurant has a great selection for both breakfast and dinner and the pastry chef and egg chef were efficient and amazing - really nice food. Although there seemed to be a lot of local business conventions, meetings etc taking place we felt we were treated as privileged guests and did not feel isolated by the general 'hum' as people moved about. They have a small but crammed gift shop that has great staff and 'good value' items - I bought a couple of nice shirts that I saw no where else in my travels. We felt safe and comfortable here - it was one of the best choice hotels we booked on the strength of Trip Advisor and friends recommendations and I can recommend this Hotel with confidence.

Room Tip: Ask reception what room facilities you want
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

A good business hotel in the sense that you have the quiet space to work and the facilities to hold meetings within the hotel. A decent level of privacy if its necessary for your work. I had issues with internet connectivity throughout my stay, which is bad for business.

I found the service at the Oasis rather slow and the hotel grounds are rather expansive making room service even slower. Service at the Spur restaurant was much faster and the quality of food much better than Oasis, even though neither are memorable.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the front of the hotel, they seem better furnished or recently refirbished. Av...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for the night immediately before, and after our safari. A colonial style hotel, with a tranquil atmosphere. After our overnight flight we wanted to get a few hours sleep, unfortunately only one of our rooms were ready, so we had to wait over an hour before we could get to our rooms. We were astounded when we got to our rooms - it looked like giant marshmallows for pillows, they were incredibly comfortable.
We ate at the restaurant by the pool for each of our meals, and the food was delicious. I was most impressed that the lunchtime waitress remembered what we had ordered and enjoyed when we returned a week later. All of our meals here were good, though more expensive than we had anticipated.
The grounds were beautiful, I particularly liked the fact that many of the trees had labels with Latin and common names of the trees on them. We didn't find the frogs troublesome, in fact it was one of the quirky elements we enjoyed. The area around the pools had building work in progress, so there was some noise here. Our second room overlooked the main road, but we were not troubled by noise (maybe because we were so tired?)
We had been told that there was free wifi in the business centre (we wanted to inform family we'd arrived safely), but when we asked at the business centre, we were told there was a charge. Surely guests should have free wifi, even if it's only for a limited time?
We didn't venture outside of the hotel as we were there such a short time, so cannot comment on this aspect

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi? Share your experiences!