“Scenic getaway in Parklands.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi to your Saves list
Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr. Parklands Road & Msapo Close, Parklands | PO Box 66807, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Offers & Announcements
10% OFF DINNER AT OASIS
Ranked #21 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Scenic getaway in Parklands.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

while the grounds and buildings are absolutely beautiful and a great introduction to Nairobi if its your first time, the rooms and the business services are lacking-including the internet connectivity and this has been the case the past few times I have stayed there.
It is one of the few kid friendly hotels in Nairobi that is still within walking distance to malls, they have great food and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I spent one night at this hotel at the beginning of our honeymoon. We were looking for a good nights rest before a safari trip but ended up not sleeping much at all. The hotel grounds were beautiful and the staff were very kind.

We were shown to our room and that's where the disappointment started. The room looked pretty beat up and in need of some TLC. It had a pretty bad smell as if a quick coat of paint had been applied to a heavily smoked-in room. My wife immediately asked me to go exchange the room but I made the mistake not to pursue it, we were exhausted from our travels and just wanted to sleep. Looking back, I should have asked for a different room, I'm sure they would have helped us out. My wife was able to fall asleep while I prepared the luggage for the next day. While she slept, I encountered a nasty white worm(?) crawling up the wall. If she would have seen it, that would have been the end of our stay there. I didn't mention the worm until we left but I told her that I did take care of it so it wouldn't follow us in our travels.

Other than the room experience, the hotel had great service at the restaurants and the food was good as well. If they can clean the rooms up this would be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here 1 night before and 1 after safari. It is a lovely hotel, friendly staff and good breakfast. I wished we had booked our last 3 nights here too. There are 2 pools to chose from, one being very quiet and one by the restaurant. I highly recommend.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife an I stayed here for 3 nights. When we arrived the reception staff were happy and helpful - right from the entrance to checkin - most accommodating. We were given a lovely room on the first floor with a private balcony. It is a very relaxing and peacful place, well laid out and has most immaculate lush gardens and fish ponds tastefully designed as you walk around the grounds. Both pools were clean and inviting. All the staff were interested in our stay and very keen to assist with advising and arranging site seeing tours. The room was large, clean and really comfortable - no problems whatsoever. The restaurant has a great selection for both breakfast and dinner and the pastry chef and egg chef were efficient and amazing - really nice food. Although there seemed to be a lot of local business conventions, meetings etc taking place we felt we were treated as privileged guests and did not feel isolated by the general 'hum' as people moved about. They have a small but crammed gift shop that has great staff and 'good value' items - I bought a couple of nice shirts that I saw no where else in my travels. We felt safe and comfortable here - it was one of the best choice hotels we booked on the strength of Trip Advisor and friends recommendations and I can recommend this Hotel with confidence.

Room Tip: Ask reception what room facilities you want
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

A good business hotel in the sense that you have the quiet space to work and the facilities to hold meetings within the hotel. A decent level of privacy if its necessary for your work. I had issues with internet connectivity throughout my stay, which is bad for business.

I found the service at the Oasis rather slow and the hotel grounds are rather expansive making room service even slower. Service at the Spur restaurant was much faster and the quality of food much better than Oasis, even though neither are memorable.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the front of the hotel, they seem better furnished or recently refirbished. Av...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for the night immediately before, and after our safari. A colonial style hotel, with a tranquil atmosphere. After our overnight flight we wanted to get a few hours sleep, unfortunately only one of our rooms were ready, so we had to wait over an hour before we could get to our rooms. We were astounded when we got to our rooms - it looked like giant marshmallows for pillows, they were incredibly comfortable.
We ate at the restaurant by the pool for each of our meals, and the food was delicious. I was most impressed that the lunchtime waitress remembered what we had ordered and enjoyed when we returned a week later. All of our meals here were good, though more expensive than we had anticipated.
The grounds were beautiful, I particularly liked the fact that many of the trees had labels with Latin and common names of the trees on them. We didn't find the frogs troublesome, in fact it was one of the quirky elements we enjoyed. The area around the pools had building work in progress, so there was some noise here. Our second room overlooked the main road, but we were not troubled by noise (maybe because we were so tired?)
We had been told that there was free wifi in the business centre (we wanted to inform family we'd arrived safely), but when we asked at the business centre, we were told there was a charge. Surely guests should have free wifi, even if it's only for a limited time?
We didn't venture outside of the hotel as we were there such a short time, so cannot comment on this aspect

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here on a recent business trip. The hotel was chosen by staff from my organisation as it is just across the road from the office and I am very grateful for that! The hotel is very well laid out, with beautiful gardens, 2 pools and a large restaurant. Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, with service always prompt and efficient. The rooms are a good size with excellent facilities. Breakfast buffet great and a la carte dining also good. The location is away from the centre of Nairobi, but is safe and there are a number of large malls and a curio market within easy walking distance. Be sure to chose a room away from the pools as any noise tends to be concentrated in those areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the block near reception - these rooms are quieter than those close to the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi? Share your experiences!