“First Nairobi trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi

and 1 more site!
You added Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi to your Saves list
Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr. Parklands Road & Msapo Close, Parklands | PO Box 66807, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #15 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“First Nairobi trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

My first trip to Kenya and Nairobi, hotel is close to city centre and Westgate Mall. Part of the Tsogo sun group. Quaint looking hotel, staff very helpful, rooms are a little dated but ok. Breakfast area next to the pool is a really nice spot to sit and enjoy breakfast outside. Steak Restaurant is very Tex Mex with a good variation of choices but do not expect a la carte it is what it states. Wireless Internet is good and if you are staying it is free.

Steak restaurant in the evening is frequented by "local" ladies but unless you ask they will not bother you.

Good for business travellers as close to town and also good location for business meetings

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Had a really good time at the Southern Sun, the friendly staff and a clean environmental not to mention the sumptuous cuisine. Also the proximity to the fun places and shopping malls is quite convenient.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel Last week, and it was an amazing experience, its clean, and Calm, the Food Also is very Special, I would recommend this hotel to anyone

wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I've so far had a great experience at this hotel. The staff are nice, the included breakfast buffet is diverse and delicious, my room is clean and comfortable, and the grounds are beautiful. I read reviews online first, so when I made my reservation I specifically requested a quiet, in-facing room. Some of the reviewers have had noisy rooms that faced the street apparently. The wireless internet is free as well. I went to their salon this afternoon and got a great haircut. The gym is small, but sufficient. There are two pools, though I doubt I'll use either one as I'm out for work during the day.

Centurion, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is probably my 4th time staying at the Southern Sun Mayfair, and each time the rooms seem to be dating more and more.
I was put in Room 130 something, which is close to the Generator, and there were a couple of power cuts which meant there was a lot of noise in the room. The TV's are old, the rooms look old, and to be honest the only reason I gave it a 3 was because the food is quite good, not only at the adjacent Spur, but also at the restaurant at the Pool.
After this visit, I am going to explore other options in the vacinity ...

Room Tip: Do not get a room close to the Generator (I was in Room 135 (I think)
Ringwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed at the Southern Sun for two nights in May 2012, purpose was business, and this was my first visit to Kenya.

My time in the hotel was limited - I arrived around 10.30pm on Monday evening, and was away all Tuesday and Wednesday working, and out on Tuesday evening at a dinner. So realistically, my comments need to be read in mind of the limited time spent there.

OK, let's start off on the good points. I found the staff polite, friendly, and invariably helpful. But there again, this is how I found the Kenyan people anyway (bear in mind this was my first visit to Kenya). Security wise, the hotel is surrounded by a metal fence, with two security guards on each entry point - one male, on female for searches of bags and frisking down on entry if they feel this is necessary. I was not challenged on any entries - I either look very trustworthy, foreign, innocent, or a bit of all of these things! There is a security guard at the end or each of the accommodation corridors at night.

I checked out Wednesday morning, but returned in the evening (after work) for an hour or so before taking the transfer to the airport. I asked if there was somewhere I could change, and was offered the opportunity to go to the leisure centre and shower as well. I appreciated that.

Transfers from and back to the airport were efficient and without any problem. The client I was working with told me that the hotel has a track record with them for reliability with this. It's nice to know after a long flight that someone WILL be there to take care of you.

Grounds are very pleasant, breakfast is by one of the pools, and you can have omlettes etc. cooked to order as well as the usual buffet array. I didn't eat in the hotel at all in the evening, so can't say what the meals then are like. Brekky is fine though!

Room was clean, spacious, and bed comfy.

Now here's the gripe - my room was on the 'outside' of the hotel, so facing the road rather than the inner area with the pools and gardens. So it was quite noisy, with trucks and cars making a noise all night. The problem is exacerbated by the windows, which of course don't need to be double glazed as in the UK! There was a small gap around them, even when 'closed', so noise came through very easily. So if you can't choose a room facing 'inside', then it's not a bad idea to take ear plugs (like the ones you are provided on aircraft). My wife tells me I don't sleep - I lapse into comas! I didn't when in this room though, and my sleep was very disturbed unfortunately.

Having said that, a colleague did have a room facing the gardens, and he complained to me about being woken on the first evening by someone making a lot of noise when cleaning the pool!

I guess the key question is, would I stay here again? Well, I wouldn't be averse to trying somewhere else if it was on a recommendation - but that's as I like variety. But I would be happy enough to stay again - because of the service levels, security, ease of transfer between airport and hotel, and the comfort of the room and bed. I would though ensure I DID NOT have a room which faced the 'outside' of the hotel!

Room Tip: NB ensure that it's a room facing the 'inside' of the hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was certainly not my first visit to this fine hotel and will certainly not be my last. For those travelers visiting Nairobi either on vacation (pre or post safari .... and the wildlife in Kenya is beyond compare) or on business I would strongly recommend you consider staying here. It ticks all the boxes: from safety, to service, to comfy rooms, lovely staff and good food .... and the gardens are a delight. A cool and calm and peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of this crazy city. The staff seem to have all been here forever and really care about your comfort - and the wifi is free!!! It works best by the pool so get out of your room and enjoy the lovely fresh air. I also love the fact that no matter how early you arrive for breakfast it is already in full swing - I find that quite rare these days. The rooms are comfy - not huge but perfectly adequate for an overnight or two. And my colleagues from the US commented on the gym (I don't gym!) - they said it was impressive for a hotel of this calibre. And I know I am a relaxed African who also lives in a crazy city - Johannesburg - but please dont fret about safety in and and around Nairobi - use your common sense of course and you will have a great time. The Kenyans are wonderful people and simply love anyone who travels to their country.

Room Tip: Book an executive room - and if possible overlooking the back garden
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi? Share your experiences!