“Price for Ensuit tent but get low grade tent.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kimana Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Kimana Camp
Save Saved
You added Kimana Camp to your Saves list
Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #45 of 94 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
Thailand
“Price for Ensuit tent but get low grade tent.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We and my friends , totally 6 adults go to Kenya Safari for 8 days in July 2013. We booked Kimana Camp for 3 Ensuit tents for 2 nights through some agent in Nairobi. But when we arrived the camp in late afternoon we all got 3 tents which no light, no water and toilet!! The manager said because of our agent booked so late and she has only the last low grade tents for us!!

It's not our fault because we paid for ensuit tents and if she has no available ensuit tents for us she had to tell our agent that he will take us to others camps that we could stay in the tents which suit for our money.

So if you booked any tents at Kimana Camp , don't forget to make sure that you will get the tents as you booked.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The camp is very clean and the grounds are well-maintained. The staff try hard to be helpful and accommodating. But there are just too many flaws and the price is too high for what you get to support a higher rating.

Inside my tent there was a bare wire hanging where the bathroom light switch was supposed to be, and they had improvised so that the bathroom light was always on when the camp had electricity. The bulb burned out while I was there, and probably burns out regularly because of the "always on" state. The shower head was just dangling by the PVC pipe and could not be directed, so it was aimed toward the middle of the bathroom, splashing water all over everything in the bathroom, and because I had to leave the flap open to get any light, the shower even got the bed wet. Two of my companions complained about absence of a waste basket inside the tent, though I had one in mine, and no chairs for sitting outside, though I also had a chair. So, there is an obvious lack of attention to detail.

This is the only camp (out of 7 in Mara) where I've stayed that you could not get a cup of brewed coffee, only instant coffee. One of my travel mates complained that it is not even Nescafe, too fine a point for me between really bad or horrible imitation coffee. And unlike every other camp in the Mara, there was no hint of any intention to provide any kind of cookies, muffins or other snack for coffee/tea time.

The meals were substantial quantity but very limited choice - spaghetti with meat sauce for lunch, along with 2 side vegetables; beef stew and deep-fried fish for dinner, with rice and vegetable. Pineapple slices for dessert at lunchtime, and watermelon for dessert at dinner time. Adequate but unimpressive, like a school lunchroom.

Also, unlike most camps in Mara there was no effort to be ecologically responsible. Hot water heated by firewood, and the entire camp is run on 220v, compared to many that use 12v lighting that can be powered by battery and charged at least partially by inexpensive solar panels.

The game drive vehicle was a very old, beaten-up Toyota Landcruiser. Sammy, the driver, was very helpful and tried to be accommodating, but the condition of the vehicle and the fact that the 4-wheel-drive was not working added to the sense of adventure as we always had some doubt about whether we would make it back from our safari drives.

On the plus side, it was a clean and comfortable place to sleep, and we were able to get accommodations at the last minute during peak season. And Maasai Mara is always spectacular! But at $180 per person there are much better options if you can plan ahead!

Would I return? Yes, if I was planning a last-minute trip and there was no other option available. But I would hope they can address some of the deficiencies! The location is very good and it would take only a little work to turn this into a nice tent camp that provides reasonable value for the money spent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kathmandu, Nepal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great place located inside the national park and great service and management. Although at the start there was a slight hiccup, however it being located remotely it is understandable. Things got fixed quickly and there was no room for complaints. I loved it and so did my clients.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Kimana Camp? Share your experiences!