“A true home stay and family experience” 5 of 5 stars

Mdawida Homestay
Sun Valley Estate, Phase 1, House # 135 | Otienda, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #8 of 163 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Beijing, China
“A true home stay and family experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was a bit worried to travel to Nairobi as I have been told it's dangerous day and night. But I got completely released the moment I saw the big smile from Serah's face. Everyone in the house is so nice, I especially love Serah and Ron's 3 boys - they are so smart and adorable. I enjoy playing with them and being silly laughing together. The food from Violet is so tasty, I especially love her tea and shy smile on her face- so beautiful! Serah and Ron are very helpful with all information you need traveling within the city. I also got to meet some of their family members-all nice and hospitable, just make the homestay a true home. And I got a lovely house with my own private space to rest and do my quiet time. I think it's a perfect combination for private and social. Looking forward to coming back soon and stay for a while to get to know Kenyan culture better.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
North Shore City, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stumbled across this place on Tripadvisor when I was looking for somewhere to stay my first week in Kenya. Booking was one of the best decisions I have made on this trip. Everyone is very friendly and almost instantly I felt like I was at home. Conversation is always interesting, and Serah and Ronnie can provide you with a lot of advice and assistance. I have continued to stay in touch, and even went back to stay over Christmas. Having people I know and trust in Kenya has been invaluable!

Regarding rooms, the bunk room is basic, but comfortable. I also stayed in the outhouse. This was very nice with its own shower, and perfect if you need some privacy or quiet. I could get wifi in both places. I spent the majority of my time at the house though in the main living area.
Meals were great with a good mix of Kenyan and Western food.
In terms of location, it is about a 30-50 minute trip from the centre of town depending on traffic and your mode of transport. However, I found I only needed one day in town and the majority of attractions in Nairobi are in the Langata/Karen area, making the homestay a perfect base.

If you are interested in getting to know Kenyan culture and be part of a family, then this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
SAN FRANCISCO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The stay here was amazing. I stayed in February and again in April. Everyone was super friendly and helpful when it came to setting me up with a room and helping me get around town. The location is a little far from town, but there are enough shops around that you do not need to go into town unless it is for something specific. Plus, they will help set you up with a Taxi if need be. They even have some souvenirs to sell if you, like me, need some last minute gifts on your way out to the airport.
It was also some of the best food I had the whole time in Africa and it was different every night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

... It is HOME to me ;-). Period.

Ronny and Serah are the best hosts I have ever had. Staying in Their home is the best way to get a slice of Kenyan life. Though I was a vegetarian, i had a great time with food with mixed vegetables and Ugali ! And I could see all things i could see over the the 2 weeks i had in Nairobi, thanks to their planning and advice.

Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for the little outhouse just opposite their main door ;-)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Reading
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

As a homestay, this is reallt a great place to stay, clean and comfortable and very affordable. A very homely atmosphere, very relaxed and welcoming. Breakfast and dinner is served in the family living room, and the conversation is always lively and flowing with interesting guests from all over the world, and knowledgable advice and support from the owners Serah and Ronnie. Nothing is too much trouble, you only have to ask, including laundry and advice on where to visit and how to get there. Wifi available and the TV is shared in the living room.

For value and service, close to Nairobi, this place cannot be beaten. Fully recommended.

Room Tip: Discuss your requirements before you arrive, and they will do their best to meet your requirements.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
SerahMucha, Owner at Mdawida Homestay, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hey T.J
Thank you so much for writing a response we enjoy having you here and you have become part of our big travel family. Thank you for your support and we hope to see you soon again.
Cheers
Serah
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This place is run by Serah and her husband Ronnie and is situated very close to Nairobi National Park. For the record, Mdawida Homestay provides an extremely basic accommodation, perfect for people who are on budget travel. They also provide lunch and dinner at a very nominal price. However, what made this place special for us was the family atmosphere. They are extremely friendly and will make you feel at home. For us, a big part of our trip was to learn more about Kenyan culture, its people and know more about their lifestyle. Staying with Serah gave us an opportunity to know about Kenya, as she knows it. We would go to the dinning area to have a cup of coffee and would end up spending 1-2 hours just chatting and sharing information about our cultures.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SerahMucha, Owner at Mdawida Homestay, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Hi
Thank you for the review and I'm glad that you highlighted excatly what we are about, culture and experience for our guests as well as ourselves. Great way to meet people from diverse cultures in the home.

Thanks

Been to Mdawida Homestay? Share your experiences!