“Great Safari experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Safari experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We spent 4 days visiting Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru by van. We were a group of six people plus the driver, Laui, and Enrico, from African Game Trek Safaris. The experience was awesome, despite some mechanic problems with the van. We got to see most of the animals, and getting really close! The driver was very skilled. We chose to stay in the cheapest accommodations offered by the agency, and it was not disappointing at all. The camp at Masai Mara is a wonderful place to stay. The hotel at Nakuru was very old, but for the price was acceptable. Overall, an experience i would definitely recommend.

Visited April 2012

Helsinki, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“10 Day Private Kenyan Bird Safary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I (67-y-o male) have visited Africa several times. Some safaris have been disappointing. I have become picky when selecting my tour operator. A year ago I did a Kenyan-Tanzanian safari (30th October-10th November, 2011). Especially the first part, guided by Boniface Odhiambo or "Odhis" (6 days in Kenya), was very good (Nairobi, Maasai Mara, Lk Nakuru, Amboseli, and Lk Manyara).

I have become more and more "a bird-camera-man". I thought that Odhis (now working with African Game Trek Safaris), would be my guide. I bought KLM round tickets from Helsinki to Nairobi already in May this year. Odhis designed the safari according to my wishes from 1st to 10th of November, 2012; Nairobi, Samburu Forests NP (2 d), Lk Naivasha (1 d), Lk Nakuru (2 d, Lk Baringo (1 d), Kakamega Forests NP (2 d) and Ygenya countryside (2 d). I (we) visited also, e.g. Lk Vicrotia and the City of Kisumu. We stayed in permanent tent camps or at budget hotels, just as agreed about. All meals were provided by AGTS - again satisfying very well my moderate needs. I paid for the fuel and was free to go wherever the time allowed.

Most of the days were spent of safari: Odhis drove in national parks and I was standing with cameras, roof up. Our collaboration was perfect. Odhis, even when driving and having a limited view, compared to myself, spotted more bird species than myself. He also understood to stop the vehicle and shut of the engine, when required. So, my 700mm, 1.3x crop and 100-400mm full-frame cameras were ready and stable on a beanbag, when used. Two major points made this safari so successful: 1. Odhis (collaborative skills and reliability), 2. I was the only passenger - no conflicts of bird/photography interests with other passengers.

I took about 6000 photos, most of them from birds. I still (when writing this at home in Helsinki, Finland) have about 1500 semifinal photos to be reviewed. I will attach some, after reviewing them first.

I have already started to plan my next visit to Kenyan bird sites with Boniface Odhiambo and African Game Trek Safaris. I perhaps will take a "non-birdwatching" friend with me. The strategy is going to be similar, but perhaps the next safari should last longer or 14 days in 3-4 best birding sites. In other words: fewer kilometers on road and more walking/siting at bird sites. Unfortunately, that might happen not before January 2014, because my other "duties" like grandchildren, Nordic bird sites (Finnish and Norwegian Lapland) etc.

Odhis has been very reliable. He can guard an old Nordic citizen like myself gently but determinedly. I appreciate that! Missing him and Kenya.

Visited November 2012
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“13 Day African Safari”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was a good tour to do, lasting 13 nights. Kenya and Tanzania
We asked for 4 to 5 star accommodation along the way, but being Africa some places were and others only 3 star...our 4 x 4 in Kenya was a van style vehicle so you didn't quiet get the experience. But in Kenya the drivers did get you up so close with the animals, as these drivers/guides are chasing a good tip after their 6 nights with you.
Next was the Tanzania part, here the accommodation was much better along with the food.Yes we did get our 4 x 4 vehicles here.This part of the tour was operated by Ranger Safari. They have set tourist spots that you stop at...just be careful when you stop just outside of Arusha in Tanzania. I used my credit card to purchase a Tanzinite stone, only to be advised by the bank that. 2 days later my card was used in 2 other countries around the world. So where possible don't use cards here, cash only...

Visited September 2012