“Fantastic safari with Explore East Africa” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 103 activities in Nairobi
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Explore East Africa is an invitation to experience the African Safari in a truly magical way. We will provide you with authentic local experiences that will surely rejuvenate your spirit. Explore East Africa is for the discerning travelers who expects the highest level of luxury and great attention to detail in the service delivery.All the accommodation we offer our guests in the safaris or beach holidays are the best of the best when you go through the destination pages all the properties listed have been carefully curated to offer an authentic safari experience.At Explore East Africa we strive to redefine what is possible on a safari or beach holiday.
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic safari with Explore East Africa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently went on a safari to Lake Manyara, the Serengetti and the Ngorogoro Crater organized by Joshua at Explore East Africa. The trip was very well organized with every transfer, flight, hotel, and meal taken care of. The hotels that we stayed at were idyllic (mainly Serena lodges) and the itinerary was cleverly designed to provide a good combination of game drives and relaxation time in between the driving. Joshua touched base at each portion of our trip (we went to Zanzibar after the safari) to make sure we were enjoying our holiday and that everything was up to our standard.

The best part of the trip was our safari guide, Emmanuel. He had over 20 years of experience as a safari guide and having attended wilderness college, had an impressive amount of knowledge about the animals. His relationships with the other guides also enabled him to share information and find all of the animals we wanted to see over the course of our four day safari. He was also very knowledgeable about Tanzania as a country and about the Masaii, having been born into the tribe himself.

Unfortunately both my boyfriend and I were sick during the holiday (typical travellers' stomach bug), but the lodges we stayed at had doctors on site free of charge so we were well taken care of and only had to sit out a half day of our safari.

I can highly recommend using Explore East Africa for your next holiday. Our trip was perfect!

Visited November 2013

Seattle, Washington
“Amazing Kenyan Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My wife and I spent a lot of time planning a Kenyan trip that would last three weeks. Joshua was able to assist us immensely by providing a lot of different options and price ranges. We were finally able to settle on an itinerary that took us from Nairobi to Naivasha, Nakuru, Masai Mara, Mombasa and Diani that fit within our budget.
Once we had settled in at our hotel in Nairobi, Joshua introduced us to our driver and guide Peter who was fantastic as well. Peter knew we really wanted to see the flocks of pink flamingos at Lake Nakuru, but he also knew they weren't as numerous in the lake at that time due to high water levels. He recommended a side trip up north to Bogoria to see them instead and his recommendation worked out wonderfully. He was also very knowledgeable in taking us to the different sights in Masai Mara, knowing exactly where to be to have the best vantage point to see the lions, leopards and elephants.
Throughout the trip, Joshua kept in constant touch with us, to see how our trip was going and to make any changes on the fly if needed. Overall, Explore East Africa was a pleasure to work with, and we would highly recommend them for anyone planning a trip to East Africa in the near future.

Visited November 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Awesome Holiday in Zanzibar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We booked our holiday to Zanzibar through Joshua from Explore East Africa.

We sent an enquiry to a quite a few travel agents (big and small) to enquire about packages from Dubai to Zanzibar and the service we received from Joshua, far exceeded any of the other travel agents. Not only was he quick to respond to every single email (even if it was silly questions like weather concerns), but he also managed to give us the best prices. He honestly went out of his way to understand what it is what we were looking for in a holiday and gave advice along the way. At the end of the day he felt more like a friend, rather than a “customer”. He even called us during our stay to check that everything was going fine. Super sweet!

Everything about our holiday was awesome. We stayed in the Neptunes Pwani Beach Resort and it was absolutely amazing! I highly recommend it to anybody – young and old! It was spotless and the staff were super friendly and very very attentive! We took a walk down the beach to the other hotels (3* and 4*) and can honestly say that if had the choice to choose all over again, I would stick to Neptunes – it was THAT good! The hotel also has a spa with a gorgeous setting.

The beach boys are also not nearly as bad as everybody makes them out to be. They are all super friendly and also know when to leave you alone and not to push.

If you’re thinking about doing excursions – Safari Blue is really nice and a Sunset Cruise at Nungwi beach is an absolute MUST – go early and go spend the day there! It’s a gorgeous beach and very rustic but festive! There are a few café’s there that have happy hour and the food is good and very well priced! If you’re young, arrange for the driver to take you there around lunch time and bring you back around 11pm. You’re going to want to stay and party on the beach after your cruise.. Nungwi beach is like a little piece of Heaven..

Zanzibar exceeded all of our expectations (by far!) and we plan on returning again next year.. same hotel and definitely same travel agent.

A BIG thanks to Joshua from Explore East Africa, for their awesome service and all their advice! You’ll definitely be hearing from us again 

Visited October 2013
Jerusalem
“Impressive Level of Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I went with my 13 year old son for a special "father-son" trip during the last week of July, 2013 - timed to catch the great migration. The safari itself was amazing. Stunningly beautiful national parks, cultures as different from the west as you could imagine, and massive herds of animals from here to the horizon.

The company - Explore East Africa - was wonderful. I searched for a company on line, and selected this one because they were able to accommodate my time frame, budget, and particular needs. To be truthful, I was nervous at first because there is not a lot of contact information on the web site, no professional accreditation, I mistakenly thought that they did not accept credit cards, and the payment was cash up front. Because of these concerns I spoke to the hotels and other booking agents and found that they all had been working with the company for years and knew Mr. Oyalo to be honest and reputable.

I came with only a week and a limited budget for the safari. I have unusual and difficult dietary requirements, and a medical condition that makes malaria more dangerous for me than for the next guy. In the months before the trip Mr. Oyalo delivered on all of these. He put me in touch with the chefs at the two lodges we used. He verified what I needed to know about mosquito netting, etc.. He designed an itinerary that took us to Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara with excellent lodges within the budget which I plan to review (and recommend) separately. He personally met us at the airport at 3:00 AM!! He was available by phone throughout the week. I casually mentioned how much I enjoyed Kenyan coffee. He personally supplied me with a kilo of great coffee and more tea when I left for the airport - at midnight!

The single most important factor for a great safari is having a great guide. Our guide, Mr. Pita Washeri was a true gem. First, he was a safe careful driver. Go a few hours on the rough dirt roads to Masai Mara and you will see why this is really important - you do not want to break down out there! (btw the vehicle matters! the open touring vans that the lodges seem to prefer do not allow a guide to bring you close to dangerous animals. EEA used a worn but reliable Toyota land rover which I thought was great.I cannot imagine a satisfying safari in a minivan.) His English is fine. He was an unending source of information about every tree, animal, bird, and town. The history, politics, and economics of Kenya were actually very interesting. He was friendly and easy to get along with. Pita seems to know EVERY other safari guide in Kenya - and spent a lot of time talking to them by short wave. At first this annoyed me, but I quickly saw the value of it. In the vast savanna of Masai Mara there are three ways to know if something unusual (like a kill) is going on. You can scan with binoculars for 2 or more jeeps standing still near each other, look for circling vultures, or hear about it from other tour guides! Pita expertly led us to the animals. We got within 10 meters of at least 11 lions - some feasting on wilderbeast. We had to stop counting elephants, giraffes, hippos, impalas, and all the rest.

Finally, I know what I paid, what the guide earns, what the hotel rates were, what the park fees were, and what the gas cost. I have no idea what other overhead costs they have or what taxes run. But given what I do know, I think their profit was reasonable and that I got good value for my money. If I can convince my next son to go on safari to Kenya, I would use Explore East Africa again.

Visited July 2013
Holland, Michigan
“Fantastic Experience at Masai Mara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Explore East Africa coordinated our entire safari experience for 11 people. They took care of everything! From picking us up at the hotel, arranging flights, transportation to/from the airfields, lodging at Mara Serena to our daily safari drives - everything was flawless! Explore East Africa even helped accommodate some last minute additions for our group. Accommodations at the Mara Serena were spectacular and exceeded our expectations during the beginning of the migration. The views, the food, the accommodations and the hospitality were terrific at the Mara Serena. The daily game drives were also great. The guides tried very hard to locate the big 5 for our team. We saw everything except the elusive rhino. The guides were in constant contact with guides sharing info and locating the best game viewing. Although Explore East Africa accommodated our team on short notice, I would highly recommend planning as far as you can in advance. I would highly recommend Explore East Africa Safari’s.

Thank you Joshua Oyalo and Team for a Fantastic Experience!

Visited July 2013
joshua o, Director of Sales at Explore East Africa Day Tours, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the review and i am really glad that you had a great time at Masai Mara, hopefully next time you can stay longer.

Cheers!

Been to Explore East Africa Day Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Explore East Africa Day Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.