“nice hotel for one night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Meltonia Luxury Suites

You added Meltonia Luxury Suites to your Saves list
Meltonia Luxury Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kindaruma Road | Near the Yaya Mall and Centre, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Ranked #29 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
“nice hotel for one night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

very clean and new. taxi is about 600- 800ksh to the city center
small pool and nice braekfast location. going out nearby is not really possible. taxi from the airport was about 1000ksh and the drivers do not know the hotel yet because it's so new. better bring a telephone number of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We were there in October 2012. Staff were so helpful, apartment was clean and tidy. breakfast was ok. its not in the centre, so if you like a quit place defenitlly its the right choice.They called a lady to organize the safari trip for us.

• Stayed October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I agree with the review from World_Trvl1021. The property/apartments are decent and clean, but the staff is in serious need of some customer service training.
You're better off preparing your own meals than relying on the restaurant which is at best average. I think there are far better places in the area for the same amount of money.
Oh, and the credit card machine definately doesnt work so make sure you have cash.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Farmington, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is sort of an extended stay facility/apartment complex. While the property is decent and clean the staff is REALLY DRY (including the manager) and lack basic courtesy. RUDE to a degree. I felt that they frown upon the tourists are not interested in folks who are not intending to stay there for months....... We had plans to stay there twice in between safaris and catching flight back home but then we cancelled the second visit because of our awful experience.

There is also a very basic restaurant at this hotel which is EXTREMELY over priced and slow. The women who took our order literally rode a taxi and went to the grocery store/duka to get vegetables to feed us. The food was basic but the meal costed us over $50 for 3 people (no deserts included). Knowing the reputation of Nairobi, you feel that you are captive here don't have any choice (more or less).

Room Tip: Would not suggest for tourists.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a serious warning to all travelers to avoid the Meltonia “Luxury” apartments by all means. Stay elsewhere !!!!

We stayed in the Meltonia for one night only and had to take a flight in the morning. During check out at 7 am the credit card facilities would not work (we had booked through booking.com). We then offered to pay cash (US dollar) but the absolutely incapable and overwhelmed duty manger refused to accept the dollars since they were “issued before 2003” claiming that banks in Kenya would not accept these notes. We then told him that we would pay per invoice, copies of our passports were on file with the hotel and I offered him to take a copy of my visa card gold as well. I also left my business card, I do work for an international organization. He refused but since we had to catch an international flight we attempted to leave. He then instructed the guards not to let us out of the property since we “hadn’t paid”. Needless to say that we were furious. We then went through all cash reserves and luckily managed to find enough dollars printed in 2006, which the duty manager then accepted. All this took more than 30 minutes and we barely made it in time to the airport since the morning rush hour in Nairobi had started.

Here are the other reasons why you should not stay in the hotel: rooms and facilities are outdated, not like on the photos shown: toilet did not flush, safety box did not work, electric sockets come out of the wall and hairs in the shower and on the sofa. The place is a dirty scam and we can only urge any traveller to stay elsewhere in Nairobi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

When I stayed I looking for a comfortable place, easy to move around and in a nice area. The apartment itself was very nice and spacious. It had a lot of quality appliances and was indeed very comfortable.

The biggest flaw was the fact that some basic apartment needed were missing like kitchen paper and napkins or some kitchen cloths. Thats usually the biggest problem when renting this sort of apartments.

Still, what bother me the most was the noise of the building itself. If there was any noise at the hall or the stairs it would go straight to the rooms and with people constantly moving it was a hassle. The staff were friendly but lack precision to help you with the simple stuff and sometimes was very frustrating to deal with them.

I know Nairobi is expensive and to find a proper choice is difficult but I don't if i would choose the same place specially at that price.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better specially B-7 and up.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My high school sweetheart was passing through Nairobi on a business trip and needed help finding an affordable but good place to stay. I decided on Meltonia Luxury Suites following its rating and reviews here on tripadvisor.com. The place is very prettily done and the booking agent is very polite. That's about all that's going for them IMO.

First, my friend was barred by the guard at the entrance. I can't help but wonder if this had anything to do with skin colour as my friend is African and Kenyans on Facebook and Twitter are currently speaking out about racism in the hotels and restaurants of Kenya. Second, he ordered one thing and got another. Third, prices changed at the hotel reception. What the polite booking agent had quoted was different from what the receptionist asked to be paid. Fourth, there seems to be poor communication between the booking agent and the receptionist because the receptionist knew nothing of the plans I had made for a taxi, etc. Fifth, the receptionist was quite the sourpuss. He did not smile once at us, was curt and basically looked like he would rather stick needles in his eye than be there. The chef was nice, though.

I will say that I had booked a double room and because my friend came with a colleague (I didn't know about that) there ended up being three of us in the suite and not the two who I had planned for --- I went to see my friend and spend the night. Maybe the staff were displeased about that. Still, I wouldn't recommend Meltonia to anybody.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Meltonia Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!