“WARNING: incapable staff almost made us miss flight, dirty, facilities not working” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Meltonia Luxury Suites

You added Meltonia Luxury Suites to your Saves list
Meltonia Luxury Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kindaruma Road | Near the Yaya Mall and Centre, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Ranked #32 of 130 Hotels in Nairobi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a serious warning to all travelers to avoid the Meltonia “Luxury” apartments by all means. Stay elsewhere !!!!

We stayed in the Meltonia for one night only and had to take a flight in the morning. During check out at 7 am the credit card facilities would not work (we had booked through booking.com). We then offered to pay cash (US dollar) but the absolutely incapable and overwhelmed duty manger refused to accept the dollars since they were “issued before 2003” claiming that banks in Kenya would not accept these notes. We then told him that we would pay per invoice, copies of our passports were on file with the hotel and I offered him to take a copy of my visa card gold as well. I also left my business card, I do work for an international organization. He refused but since we had to catch an international flight we attempted to leave. He then instructed the guards not to let us out of the property since we “hadn’t paid”. Needless to say that we were furious. We then went through all cash reserves and luckily managed to find enough dollars printed in 2006, which the duty manager then accepted. All this took more than 30 minutes and we barely made it in time to the airport since the morning rush hour in Nairobi had started.

Here are the other reasons why you should not stay in the hotel: rooms and facilities are outdated, not like on the photos shown: toilet did not flush, safety box did not work, electric sockets come out of the wall and hairs in the shower and on the sofa. The place is a dirty scam and we can only urge any traveller to stay elsewhere in Nairobi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

When I stayed I looking for a comfortable place, easy to move around and in a nice area. The apartment itself was very nice and spacious. It had a lot of quality appliances and was indeed very comfortable.

The biggest flaw was the fact that some basic apartment needed were missing like kitchen paper and napkins or some kitchen cloths. Thats usually the biggest problem when renting this sort of apartments.

Still, what bother me the most was the noise of the building itself. If there was any noise at the hall or the stairs it would go straight to the rooms and with people constantly moving it was a hassle. The staff were friendly but lack precision to help you with the simple stuff and sometimes was very frustrating to deal with them.

I know Nairobi is expensive and to find a proper choice is difficult but I don't if i would choose the same place specially at that price.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better specially B-7 and up.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My high school sweetheart was passing through Nairobi on a business trip and needed help finding an affordable but good place to stay. I decided on Meltonia Luxury Suites following its rating and reviews here on tripadvisor.com. The place is very prettily done and the booking agent is very polite. That's about all that's going for them IMO.

First, my friend was barred by the guard at the entrance. I can't help but wonder if this had anything to do with skin colour as my friend is African and Kenyans on Facebook and Twitter are currently speaking out about racism in the hotels and restaurants of Kenya. Second, he ordered one thing and got another. Third, prices changed at the hotel reception. What the polite booking agent had quoted was different from what the receptionist asked to be paid. Fourth, there seems to be poor communication between the booking agent and the receptionist because the receptionist knew nothing of the plans I had made for a taxi, etc. Fifth, the receptionist was quite the sourpuss. He did not smile once at us, was curt and basically looked like he would rather stick needles in his eye than be there. The chef was nice, though.

I will say that I had booked a double room and because my friend came with a colleague (I didn't know about that) there ended up being three of us in the suite and not the two who I had planned for --- I went to see my friend and spend the night. Maybe the staff were displeased about that. Still, I wouldn't recommend Meltonia to anybody.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Booked based on reviews on Trip Advisor. Great value for money in Nairobi. Staff very helpful, apartments clean, nice linene, well equipped. Breakfast fine, also had dinner very convenient. Close to some fine restaurants as well. Ample secure parking. Two negatives....lady that was answering the phone had difficulty in explaining the driver how to get to the hotel, and the time you have to wait for dinner...although it was worth the wait. All in all highly recommended!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed here for one night last September (a little late getting around to write the review!) As a lone female traveller one of my main concerns was safety and so I had prearranged a taxi (arranged through the hotel) to collect me from the airport. I was very pleased that this was awaiting me and took me straight to Meltonia suites in about 30-40 minutes. The traffic is very bad in the city!
Upon arrival I checked in at reception, which did take a little time, and was then taken to my apartment. The first thing that struck me was just how big it was - ample for one person. The apartment was clean and all appliances such as kettle, fridge, microwave and tv were fully working.
I went to the restaurant for an evening meal and, although it took a little while for the food to arrive, I was greeted with a large and tasty portion of spaghetti bolognese. I also ordered room service during my stay and - again - absolutely no complaints with the food and a decent portion size.

The bed was big and comfortable. The curtains kept the room nice and dark. A good night's sleep!
All in all, excellent value for money and I would definitely there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Karachi, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here one night at apartment (B6). The room was clean and well equipped (washer/dryer, kitchen etc). The staff at reception (Lornah and Francis) were friendly and helpful. The kitchen downstairs meant that I didn't have to leave the hotel at night after a long flight in. I didn't have breakfast because I had to rush out in the morning to beat traffic but dinner was pretty decent and the restaurant area near the pool is quite nice. The WiFi was reasonably fast. I wouldn't stay here on vacation but it's definitely good for a business trip and offer excellent value for money in a city like Nairobi where accommodation can be very expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This apartment had everything we needed including the washer and dryer which are very hard to come by in Nairobi! We spent only one night here before our flight out of Africa, but we would definitely stay here for a longer period next time. It was like home away from home!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple