“A good find!” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Meltonia Luxury Suites to your Saves list
Meltonia Luxury Suites
Kindaruma Road | Near the Yaya Mall and Centre, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #26 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“A good find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have been traveling to Nairobi very regularly over the past few years and have finally found somewhere which I consider to be homely and well equipped, in a good location for where I need to be and very friendly, especially Peggy and a lady who seems to be in charge of the cleaning staff (whose name I have unfortunately forgotten...sorry!). The apartments are well furnished and have all the necessities that I need and look for when I am away from home - actually the kitchens are amongst the best equipped kitchens that I have come across in Nairobi in apartments in this price range.

Will be staying here from now on when I travel to Nairobi....

Room Tip: Would ask for one at the back of the block as the noise from the car park can be quite disturbing
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Can Tho, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Meltonia Luxury Suites in Nairobi for the weekend. We each had a one bedroom studio which are very well appointed and when I first saw them I thought it was a real find: spacious, includes a kitchen and sitting room, well furnished, flat screen TV and WiFi.
However a problem arose when I locked my valuables into the safe and it would not unlock (on the first night when we had just arrived). I immediately reported it to reception. They explained they don't keep the keys at the apartments. Fair enough! In fact, a good practice. They would fix it in the morning. No problem there was nothing I needed straight away. We were still in at the apartments until 11am - no sign of the key for my safe. I get back in the late afternoon around 5pm - no sign of the key for my safe. I insist that the young man on the reception call his boss, who states the keys will be at the apartments by 7pm. My friend and I wished to go out for dinner and we did not wish to be late as we had a very early start the following morning. So I insist on speaking to the boss who says "it's not our fault you forgot the code you used..." Firstly I'm not senile. It was immediately after I closed the safe that I attempted to open it again. Secondly I always use the exact same code for every hotel safe and I travel with reasonable frequency. It is unforgettable because it is the four numbers of my birthday and one of my son's birthdays. I also use the same number for my frequent flyer account and used it with success to open the account that next day to ensure I hadn't forgotten it. "The boss" was in fact quite rude, raised her voice to me and talked over the top of me when I tried to speak.
So if you are sure you can have a problem free stay or if you don't mind poor service from rude bosses, then stay at these apartments. Otherwise I would advise you look elsewhere for your accommodation in Nairobi. One other thing, I was never able to access the wifi and everyone just kept saying "Ï don't understand".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
JackiK443, Manager at Meltonia Luxury Suites, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Madam;
We truly take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to you the locked safe issue that you had. It took hours for the safe key to be made available to you simply because safe keys are kept away from site because of security reasons.
We believe due to your very long wait you became understandably sensitive and to the extent that you took the telephone handset from the receptionist while we were trying to resolve the issue. There was at the time only one person who could be reached authorized to sign off the keys , and regrettably they were out of town on an urgent issue and took the long journey back just ( without completing the assignment) because of you. You rightfully were very irritable which was still understandable as time was running out. You did warn us that you will 'do something very bad', because of the difficulty in getting the keys, it became a long day for both of us but it was nevertheless difficult to put this across to you even while I was talking to you on phone. However, we owe you a big apology and I personally welcome you again and the issue or any other will be handled (hopefully there will be none) better next time.
J. K. Njuguna
Andover, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hi there folks. So I stayed in this place just for the one night whilst staying in the city of Nairobi. I picked this place because it had good reviews and the price seemed quite fair compared to other places in Nairobi. The pictures also looked very nice.

I was welcomed nicely and the check in was very fast. A nice lad carried my bag upstairs for me and he was very talkative. A small tip and he was away.

Overall, the place is really nice. I stayed in a studio apartment and it was ok. The main room was nicely decorated with a fantastic window which was massive. The views were really good.

There was free wifi which was quite fast. There was also a flat screen sony Tv which had quite a lot of channels to watch. The bed was comfortable and overall, not too bad. So far, so good eh?

I went into the kitchen and noticed that there wasn't a fridge. This kind of irritated me as I had no where to put my drinks. There wasn't a cork screw either or any wine glasses in the cupboards. So I went to ask a member of staff about the cork screw and glasses and she took my room number and promised me she'd get on it.

Five minutes later she returned with a cork screw and no glasses. I thanked her gladly and she just stood there expecting a tip. she didn't get one and I shut the door! I thought no problem, I'll drink my wine out of a mug. I can handle that!

So next, thought I need a shower after a long journey. No hot water at all in the apartment. I'm looking around and I see two switches for the hot water. They're turned off, so I turn them on. I keep them on for the next 24 hours and they don't make any difference. I have to have cold showers and even then the cold water merely drips out of the shower head. The boiler makes a lot of noise but I'm not sure what it's doing. Cold showers, no problem, I can handle that too. I'm a tough British Guy from the Midlands. No Problem, what do you expect for £90 quid?

There is an ironing board in the cupboard, but no Iron. This amuses me too. It's no problem, I can go out with creased clothes. It's all good, I can handle that.

Now I notice there quite a few Mosquito's sitting around on the walls watching me with interest. I can't stand this so I go around the apartment checking the windows and making sure the apartment is Mossie proof. I now get my paper and go around the apartment for a bout half a hour splatting the Mosquito's all over the nice white walls.

I reckon I must have killed about thirty of them. I now rest with my mug of red wine safe in the knowledge that I will be able to sleep in peace. As the sun goes down and the skies become dark, I notice Mosquito's buzzing around the room circling like vultures.

I must have missed some. I get up with my paper and exterminate them one by one. The thing is though, all through the evening they keep coming. I keep killing them, but they just keep coming. I go around the apartment again checking windows and doors, all sealed.

I just can't understand where the little bar stools are coming from. I go to bed and as soon as I turn the light off, I can hear them buzzing around me ears. I quickly turn the bed lights on and see two or three of them right by my head. I kill them, turn light off and minutes later, buzzing around my head. I turn the lights on again and more mosquito's. I kill them and pretty much go through this process until 4am in the morning. I seriously killed over 50 mosquito's and they just keep coming.

At 4am in the morning I am exhausted and my skin is now crawling. I've been bit about 20 times on hands, feet, ankles and head. It's a good job I've been taking Malaria tablets for the past 8 weeks.

In the end, I simply had to put the entire sheet over me. I was covered head to toe in the sheet. I was sweating like mad and it didn't help that the apartment didn't have air con or even a fan. Eventually though, I managed to fall asleep and get a few hours sleep.

This place should have been ok but it's been let down by the fact that the apartment didn't have a fridge, hot water and they seem to have let the mosquito's get out of control.

Surely they should fumigate the apartments or at least supply spray and plug ins. Plus, I killed loads of them and they kept getting into my apartment. I think that massive window must have been broken somewhere as they just kept coming.

When I actually woke up in the morning still under my sheet, I couldn't believe what I saw. There were masses of Mosquito's in the apartment. They were flying around in broad day light brazenly saying look at me, I've had a good chomp on you last night.

I got my paper back out and I spent another 20 minutes getting pay back. If you stay in A16, you will see blood marks all over the walls. This was me getting my pay back for them little critters making my night a complete nightmare.

Should have been a decent hotel, but ended turning into a very frustrating night. I'm now writing this a day after and I look like I've got Chicken pox.

Stay away is what I say. I get the impression that I was unlucky and this place is probably ok, but the Mosquito's killed it me for me.

What a nightmare.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I booked my apartment very late and could not get a response on airport pick up. It was easy to get a taxi from the hotel to the apartment on my own though.
The area is safe and there is a security staff right at the gate (not sure if he was armed). I could walk to the local supermarket (Uchumi) and local shopping centre (Yaya Centre and Mall) on my own.
To get to the city centre, one has to take a taxi (I did not go to the city centre).
I booked a studio and was upgraded to a one-room apartment.
The apartments I went into were very clean, spacious and comfortable. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I had to change 3 apartments in 4 nights and had access to 4 different apartments to sleep (sewage system was choked and toilet had to be repaired), cook (apartment had no stove or microwaveable crockery so I had to use another apartment to cook) or shower (heater broke down and after trying to fix it for me for 3 hours, they finally gave me access to another apartment to shower). The television and internet did not work on one of the days when I badly needed the internet to confirm my trip plans. The service provider fixed the problem at the end of the day but I was not informed (even though staff knew the urgency as I had asked 3 times). I had a discount on the third and fourth night as a result.
The staff were very nice but I got stressed out due to the changes and breakdowns. Staff needed more training on how to handle awkward situations.
I will return to the Meltonia again (if I do not need to access the city centre) as it would be great value for money IF everything works. Now that i know which rooms are not working and the names of staff, I will definitely check with them which room I will be allocated to.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've been traveling back and forth to Nairobi for 10 year until I found this little treasure. It's fabulous and totally reasonable. It is a suite hotel so you get a lot of bang for the buck. You get living room, kitchen, laundry room and l wonderful kingsize bed.
The only real problem is that they have no lift so if you're on the top flights it's a really long walk up.

Room Tip: Try not to be too high up, but not on the first floor either.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was only in Nairobi in transit for 2 nights so I didn't have specific needs in terms of the location. The Meltonia Suites is not exactly centrally located, but I still managed to get around easily by taxi to go visit some sights and met friends at the Yaya center nearby.
The suite was very spacious with a large living room and a nice little balcony.
The place is peaceful and service is wonderful. A special thanks to Peggy who went out of her way to help me change money and get the most of my 24 hours in Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Normal, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our group of 14 stayed at the Meltonia Luxury Suites for one night prior to a safari departure and one night on the return in September 2012. The staff does an amazing job of making you feel welcome and and meeting your needs. The rooms (actually apartments) are large, well appointed and absolutely spotless. Our drivers were not familiar with the accommodations so it was a bit of a hunt to find the Meltonia, but it was totally worth it. There are no lifts, so for those folks staying at the highest floors you need to climb some stairs, but again the staff does all it can to carry bags and provide for your needs. The Meltonia is located in a secure and quiet neighborhood, making a good night's rest possible because there are no sound interruptions from traffic, etc. Breakfast is included; it is basic and good. The kitchen was very accommodating to prepare meals for us on arrival; service was slow but the food was well prepared. I cannot say enough about how helpful Peggy and her staff were to make our stay an excellent experience. I will definitely recommend the Meltonia to any friends I have traveling to Nairobi.

Room Tip: If you're a bit older or have a problem handling stairs, ask in advance for a room on a lower le...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Meltonia Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!