“Great place, uneven food quality/service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, International, Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Nairobi, Kenya
“Great place, uneven food quality/service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

The River Cafe has an excellent setting and very good coffee, but I've had a different experience every time I've been to eat there. Sometimes the food is excellent (my husband loved the cannellini-chicken salad the first time we went, then he ordered it again and it was awful; same thing happened to me!) and the service is Ok, sometimes it is quite bad. You never know what to expect... Seems hard to find restaurants in Nairobi where specific dishes are prepared the same way each time! Would be great if they could work on consistency.

• Visited May 2014

Nairobi, Kenya
“Really nice setting, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

The River Cafe is for sure worth a relaxing visit, immersed as it is in a quiet green setting off Limuru road. The coffee is excellent while the food (we had a late breakfast with scrambled and poached eggs with bacon and sausages) was well prepared but nothing special. The service is polite and attentive. Excellent for families with small children.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great place to relax”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Location is excellent and it's an excellent place to relax. The food is disappointingly over priced given that it's so average. Not bad, but plenty of room for improvement. What was described on the menu and what showed up on my plate was disappointing. Quesadillas are not surprisingly easy to make and I thought it was a safe pick. I was wrong. A soggy quesadilla with mediocre salsa and smallest serving of guacamole I ever saw. Avocados are a dime a dozen in Nairobi.

Visited February 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Absolutely TERRIBLE! I will NEVER go here again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

It is a shame such a great location had appalling service for Sunday brunch (6 April). The food was late and not even warm, my friends smoothie tasted like syrup, the waiter gave us the wrong bill and to top it off, the manager approached us, asked for forgiveness for the bad service and then told us to leave because there were people waiting for a table! So basically can you forgive me but can you also leave?! Is this guy serious? What is his concept of service?! There was no attempt made for any form of service recovery! My friends and I were absolutely disgusted and it is safe to say that NONE OF US WILL GO HERE AGAIN and I will continue to inform my friends and colleagues!

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
“Relaxing brunch kind of place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Great surroundings and revive at a slow pace. But you don't really mind as the place has va very relaxed slow vibe. Foods not bad too but clearly not great.

• Visited November 2013