“Lovely outdoor setting” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Calgary, Alberta
“Lovely outdoor setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We enjoyed Sunday brunch in the lovely luscious outdoor setting. Quiet and serene setting in a very busy city. Lots of options for vegetarian choices. Portions not large but food all very very tasty and fresh.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Nairobi
“Rude management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Came to River Cafe for brunch on Sunday with a group of friends. Everything was great...food (starters), service and ambience but it started to rain and our table was exposed so we politely asked if we could join the manager who was sitting on a bigger table with couches by herself, and she very rudely just said no, implying we should just leave instead. So we did, without ordering mains since she killed our appetites. Also, not the first run in we have had with this manager, who previously kicked us out very rudely on another occasion when we were having drinks.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
SWK2, Owner at The River Cafe, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Prina,

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologise that you felt poorly about your experience at the Cafe on Sunday. I have spoken to the manager and as I believed, the intention was not to offend you. She was unwell and was only on duty in an effort to ensure her station was covered as her replacement is on leave, and in view of the fact that your group was smoking, asked if she could move your table instead. This was evidently not the preferred option for you, and we are sorry that you felt the solution offered was unhelpful.

With regard to your last experience also involving the manager, you may be aware that our hours of operation are dictated quite strictly by our environment. We are in a particular environment and during our seven years here, have made every effort to adhere to the restriction that we must close the restaurant at 6 p.m. As long as we are in the current location, we will always request our clients leave by 6.30 and staff sometimes get anxious when clients linger as there are repercussions to our not being empty by that time. Once again, what may have come across as rude was simply an effort to enforce the laid-down rules which enable us continue to operate in harmony with our neighbours, and we apologise if you felt offended by it.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you, if not here, in our next location where we will have more flexibility with our hours of operation and indeed, weatherproofing of all seating areas.

Yours sincerely,

Sophie Kinyua
Nairobi, Kenya
“Good Sunday brunch option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This restaurant has a lovely setting, and the food is good - excellent breakfast options, and a varied lunch menu too - good options for vegetarians. Coffee and tea both good. Can be very busy, so make sure to book. Lovely nursery to buy plants, and there's a spa there as well.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Over rated!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My second time there as I love the location, and a lovely way to spend a sunday afternoon with family or friends. Slow service was fine as we were happy to have relaxing afternoon. The food was ordered with much thought, after the dissapointed from the 1st visit.
The fish in foil was superb. Herb crusted fish!! no crust just pan fried fish very dry. Mixed bean quesadilla, was tinned kidney beans, baked beans with raw carrots & courgettes!! No cheese or seasoning. Sour cream was a bowl of single cream! Salsa & gaucamole not bad ( Ksh 900.) Get real!!!! We did not complain, but just decided that will be our last time we come there.
Rita

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It must have been a very off day”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Based on positive reviews from other reviewers as well as prior experience of two expat friends I went with, it must have been a very off day, It was Sunday brunch time and very busy but that is hardly a valid excuse for how poorly we were treated. Our so-called waiter took a long time to take our orders and after 45 minutes, still no food (I had even forgotten whether we had ordered) and more worrisome, no update from him on where it was. We finally asked several people to enquire and some 15 minutes later, our orders came. Based on what we got, I can only imagine that our order had been lost or forgotten and that something was quickly put together. The stuffing of my friend's pasta was frozen so she sent it back. I had ordered a Thai stir-fry with veggies and chick peas but it was nothing of the sort: it was white rice with a separate bowl of some curry, sans chick peas. I had to make sure this is what I ordered and asked about the chick peas. He suggested to take the plate back but I did not want to risk another delay so asked that he bring back the chick peas from the kitchen. He seemed to have forgotten this request and when we asked him 10 minutes later, he told me they were out of chick peas. My other friend's omelet was fine. Coffee is of course excellent as is the setting. But the bottom line is that we were there for over 2.5 hours and were abandoned for most of that and 2/3 of us did not eat well. My friends complained vehemently to the acting manager and will take it up with the owners who were not there. Were offered coffee but at that point, we just wanted to leave. I was thankful for the time there to enjoy my friends' company but we could have taken our business elsewhere. If I come back to Nairobi, I do not think I would make any effort to return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
SWK2, Owner at The River Cafe, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Jaqueline,

Thank you for your thorough and honest review of your experience on Sunday. We are extremely concerned that your experience on Sunday was so bad, particularly in view of the fact that our Sundays are in fact always very busy so in general, a longer wait time is normal simply because we have a very small kitchen. It is something that we try not to affect our service but as with any business, we are not always perfect. However, that does not excuse poor service and particularly when we are not there, as was the case on Sunday, we expect are well-versed staff to handle delays and poor quality promptly and professionally. As you quite rightly state, there is no excuse for poor treatment, and we cannot apologize enough except to ask that you please give us another chance to provide better service and quality when you next visit. The Thai Chickpea Curry should be just that - I am astonished that you were served it without the chickpeas, and if they had run out, your waiter should have informed you immediately the order was placed. Please be assured that we will investigate this incident with a view to avoiding this happening again to anyone, and sincerely hope you will accept our apology and visit us again in order that we may make up for the poor experience.

Yours sincerely,