“Good Sunday brunch option” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Coffee Shop, International
Dining options: Coffee & Tea, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Coffee & Tea, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Nairobi, Kenya
“Good Sunday brunch option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This restaurant has a lovely setting, and the food is good - excellent breakfast options, and a varied lunch menu too - good options for vegetarians. Coffee and tea both good. Can be very busy, so make sure to book. Lovely nursery to buy plants, and there's a spa there as well.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Over rated!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My second time there as I love the location, and a lovely way to spend a sunday afternoon with family or friends. Slow service was fine as we were happy to have relaxing afternoon. The food was ordered with much thought, after the dissapointed from the 1st visit.
The fish in foil was superb. Herb crusted fish!! no crust just pan fried fish very dry. Mixed bean quesadilla, was tinned kidney beans, baked beans with raw carrots & courgettes!! No cheese or seasoning. Sour cream was a bowl of single cream! Salsa & gaucamole not bad ( Ksh 900.) Get real!!!! We did not complain, but just decided that will be our last time we come there.
Rita

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It must have been a very off day”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Based on positive reviews from other reviewers as well as prior experience of two expat friends I went with, it must have been a very off day, It was Sunday brunch time and very busy but that is hardly a valid excuse for how poorly we were treated. Our so-called waiter took a long time to take our orders and after 45 minutes, still no food (I had even forgotten whether we had ordered) and more worrisome, no update from him on where it was. We finally asked several people to enquire and some 15 minutes later, our orders came. Based on what we got, I can only imagine that our order had been lost or forgotten and that something was quickly put together. The stuffing of my friend's pasta was frozen so she sent it back. I had ordered a Thai stir-fry with veggies and chick peas but it was nothing of the sort: it was white rice with a separate bowl of some curry, sans chick peas. I had to make sure this is what I ordered and asked about the chick peas. He suggested to take the plate back but I did not want to risk another delay so asked that he bring back the chick peas from the kitchen. He seemed to have forgotten this request and when we asked him 10 minutes later, he told me they were out of chick peas. My other friend's omelet was fine. Coffee is of course excellent as is the setting. But the bottom line is that we were there for over 2.5 hours and were abandoned for most of that and 2/3 of us did not eat well. My friends complained vehemently to the acting manager and will take it up with the owners who were not there. Were offered coffee but at that point, we just wanted to leave. I was thankful for the time there to enjoy my friends' company but we could have taken our business elsewhere. If I come back to Nairobi, I do not think I would make any effort to return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
SWK2, Owner at The River Cafe, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Jaqueline,

Thank you for your thorough and honest review of your experience on Sunday. We are extremely concerned that your experience on Sunday was so bad, particularly in view of the fact that our Sundays are in fact always very busy so in general, a longer wait time is normal simply because we have a very small kitchen. It is something that we try not to affect our service but as with any business, we are not always perfect. However, that does not excuse poor service and particularly when we are not there, as was the case on Sunday, we expect are well-versed staff to handle delays and poor quality promptly and professionally. As you quite rightly state, there is no excuse for poor treatment, and we cannot apologize enough except to ask that you please give us another chance to provide better service and quality when you next visit. The Thai Chickpea Curry should be just that - I am astonished that you were served it without the chickpeas, and if they had run out, your waiter should have informed you immediately the order was placed. Please be assured that we will investigate this incident with a view to avoiding this happening again to anyone, and sincerely hope you will accept our apology and visit us again in order that we may make up for the poor experience.

Yours sincerely,

Sophie
“different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

their food is good... service is great..and ambiance is lovely... its got that cottagy feel. the coffees are yummy.

Visited April 2013
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
“Piece of nature in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Officially and addict as i have had lunch three times at River cafe, this month. A perfect setting that is very serene. Gives you the feeling of close to nature. The garden at the entrance is well kept and the artwork is arranged differently every time i have been there. Also have very beautiful paintings inside the cafe.
The menu offers quite a variety of meals so its perfect for foodies. watch-out for the day's special at the entrance. this includes meals and cocktails.
The playground area will keep young ones entertained while you eat and catch up with friends.

• Visited April 2013