“Good place for short stay near the UN” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tara Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tara Suites
Save Saved
You added Tara Suites to your Saves list
United Nations Crescent | Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #60 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Lake Geneva
“Good place for short stay near the UN”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I spent a week on a job for the UN in Gigiri and chose to stay in the vicinity - having earlier experienced the horrors of a hotel in town: the traffic just kills you! Tara was a good formula. I had a nice, spacious and comfortable room (and the manager added a desk so I could work at ease). The staff are delightful - and Edward the cook is a real chef in the old East-African way. The UN compound is 15 minutes away on foot, and The Village mall is just round the corner. The hotel doesn't push you to consume (in fact, it would be good if they had a menu available for guests in the rooms -- some colleagues hadn't realized that you could eat in the establishment) and can arrange for your transportation needs. Internet is at times iffy -- but what isn't in Nairobi? Overall, a very good stay -- I would go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We are now since four weeks in Tara Suites. The staff is very friendly, most of the rooms to rent are spacious, bright, quiet, affordable, have WiFi and TV. Village Market, a big shopping center, is a few minutes by foot away. Breakfast (fruits, pancakes, toast, jam, coffee, tea, juice) is included. The cook is good, you can order a la carte. There is a spacious garden but with only one small table and two chairs, it could be nicer with little effort. We like the place and the people - but even though:

since four weeks we live in the 2-bed-appartment (we needed a kitchen) which we cannot recommand. Just behind our sleeping room, a huge generator is running during power cuts (more than once). It's difficult to find sleep in the night when it is running. In front of our sleeping rooms is the parking. Guests leave early in the morning or sometimes arrive late at 2 or 3 am. Everytime the motors are running close to our windows. Besides our living room we have the kitchen where you can hear the clatter of pans and porcelain until 10.30 pm in the night. So you have unevitably sources of noise all around.

We asked the director to get one of the free 3-bed-appartments to sleep quietly. She said, with regard to the situation she will make us a special rate. This "special rate" (the fee we need to pay additional for upgrading) was 1,400 USD for 13 days, only 40 USD(!) less than we would have to pay usually. We expected more goodwill. In general, Tara Suites does not give a discount when you stay longer than one or two weeks - other B&B in the area do (10 percent and more).

also annoying: since our arrival we asked several times to get mosquito nets because there were none in both bedrooms and we were bitten by the mosquitos almost every night. since four weeks we hear "yes, yes" when we asked. nothing happened. that behavior is not at all customer oriented. so yesterday we bought and installed the mosquito nets on our own.

positive: when you rent an appartment, besides cleaning and bedding they also do the dishes, the laundry and ironing, which we really appreciated a lot.

Summary: If you don't need the comfort of a 5 star hotel, air condition etc., you feel at home here, especiallly when you have no car, and taxis in Nairobi are quite expensive. But better do not rent the 2-room-appartment at the parking when you are sensitive to noise or want to enjoy a quiet time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

(This updates my previous review of September 17)
I found the rooms comfortable and the staff friendly. I did have the unfortunate experience of feeling that I was taken advantage of.

On one of the days in my stay my laundry was taken from my room and washed, though I had not asked for this to be done or put it in the laundry bag. I came back and my shirts were hung nicely in the second closet. I spoke to the staff and they apologized and said I would not be charged. By itself I wouldn't have thought again of it.

As I was leaving, the staff asked if I had used the wireless, and told me it would be charged at $5 per day that I had used it (I have no idea how this use would be verified). The desk staff told me that it was written up on a letter in the rooms that this was the policy - I went back to the room and did not find a letter. In the end, the desk staff backed off, but I was feeling apprehensive at this point.

Finally, upon returning home, I realized that those nicely hung shirts were still in the closet back in Nairobi. When I followed up by phone and email, they were nowhere to be found. Of course, as travelers we all know that the responsibility to take care of our things is ours, but I did really expect a little bit more willingness and transparency from the Tara side.

Really I'm probably just upset that I lost one of my favorite shirts.

At any rate, my own experience may be isolated and idiosyncratic, and I may just be a bad traveler, but from my experience alone I can't recommend the Tara Suites to anyone. There are a number of other small hotels B&Bs along the crescent, and based on my experience alone I would suggest that you look elsewhere.
UPDATE: I received an email from the manager of the hotel, presumably after she had read the review I above. She assured me that they had a protocol in place for dealing with lost items, so clearly this must be my error – I should check my things again. I did, dutifully, and my shirts still weren’t there. I think there were a number of possibilities in this situation, not least plausible of which is that someone on the Tara end was being dishonest. To disregard such possibilities and assure me by email that it must be my problem is a big misstep for someone in the hospitality trade, in my opinion, and unprofessional. That changed my view of the Tara Suites from a 2-star to a 1-star experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I spent over a week at the Tara Suites attending business meetings in the UN Crescent. I found the rooms affordable, clean and spacious with all the amenities, the staff accommodating and friendly, and the hotel overall a quiet homey place to stay as an alternative to the larger hotels ion the area such as the Tribe. The two missing pieces for me were a swimming pool and fitness center. However, the receptionist ensured me that the hotel had plans to restore both of these within the year. Once these are completed I would rate the Tara Suites as one of the best valued secrets in Gigiri, Nairobi. I would also recommend that Tara Suites add a few more carpets to the floors to muffle hallway noise in the atrium.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Colette Q, Owner at Tara Suites, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
It was our pleasure having you as a guest. We are close to completion on a spa at the lower level and do have plans to develop a fitness area. Your review was accurate and will help us improve accommodations for future guests. We aspire to make everyone feel at home without sacrificing amenities and necessities. Thank you so much from all of us and your welcome back anytime.
Olney, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

It would be great to have TVs in the room and telephone services to enable individual choices to catch up with news, and also to call for emergencies in the comfort of one's room. It is also essential to put more furniture in the rooms 2 chairs for guests as needed esp. in the apartment section where I stayed. And it wopuld also help to have coffee/tea making facilities in the room to avoid walking back and forth to the front desk and also even add the option of a refrigerator - unstocked but to allow guest to cool the water provided. It is also essential to have separate sets of keys for guests to the common areas like the external grill doors instead of having a shared set. Should also have A/C in all rooms, and where not available, have a desk fan handy.

Room Tip: Room 30 in the apartment section is spacious and has good view to the garden behind.