“An excellent Safari Company” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lion Trails Safaris - Day Tours

Lion Trails Safaris - Day Tours
Embakasi along Outer Ring Road, Fedha Estate | Patron Business Center, 1st Floor, Hse no. 19, Nairobi, Kenya
+254 720 710451
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 108 Activities in Nairobi
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A small vibrant Tour Company in Kenya, owned and operated by local Kenyans. Services include: Short Excursions/Short Safaris/Road & Flying Safaris (Both group & private)/Beach Holidays/Nairobi accommodation/Local flight reservations/Airport Transfers/Mountain Climbing/Gorilla Safaris in Rwanda. Note: We always work hard to better our services and always look for the most effective and affordable solutions to our clients needs. Whatever you want, we will put you on the right track!
Lee-on-the-Solent
“An excellent Safari Company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014 NEW

This is the second time that my wife and I have used Lion Trails Safaris, an excellent Company superbly run by Bernard Mwai. Bernard is always so accommodating and maintains communication by e mail throughout the planning process. Having planned and organised a superb safari for us in November 2013, he was well aware of our needs for another photographic oriented safari this September. I have to say that the Company excelled again along with our excellent driver and guide Ben Gitari. This year we visited: The Masai Mara,Lake Naivasha, Kakamega Forest (Western Kenya) Lake Nakuru, Solio, Sweetwaters Ol Pejata Conservancy and The Ark - The trip involved quite a lot of road travel but we felt safe at all times and were extremely well cared for. with all the accomodation arranged being exceptional.
I would have not any hesitation in recommending Lion Trails Safaris (at least 3 people have followed my recommendations so far) Further, do not worry about transferring money to a Bank in Kenya when paying your deposit and final payment - It works faultlessly ! Please do not hesitate to contact me through Trip Advisor should you want any more information on Lion Trails Safaris

London, United Kingdom
“Better than excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014

I started planning a big holiday in East Africa about a year ago which is when I first contacted Bernard at Lion Trails Safaris and was impressed with his prompt response. Over subsequent months we were in regular email contact devising our itinerary and Bernard made some excellent suggestions not only about places we might visit in Kenya but also in Tanzania. No question or change was too much trouble for him. Other reviewers have written about worrying about sending money - I must admit I was too - but needless to say, my worries were completely unfounded
A few months before we were due to leave we heard in the press that several UK companies had cancelled holidays in East Africa and that tourists were being told to stay away. When I wrote to Bernard about it, he was very reassuring and even offered to re-do our itinerary at this late stage. In the end we decided to stick with our original plan and I am very glad we did. We have had an amazing, once-in- a-lifetime holiday, thanks to Lion Trails Safaris. Our driver guides (Shabani in Tanzania and Martin in Kenya) were absolutely brilliant. There were really men on missions - to show us all the wildlife they could, and as far away from the other vans and tourists as possible. Thanks to them we saw the "big five" all on one day, not once but twice!! They were extremely knowledgeable about the wildlife, landscape, and the local people. And needless to say, excellent, safe drivers. They made sure we had the best possible photo opportunities at every game reserve. The lodges exceeded our expectations with good food and with all creature comforts we might want and more.
What impressed me most about Lion Trails is the fact that nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. Our luggage didn't turn up as a result of British Airways cancelling our flight and putting us on a flight via Amsterdam. Lion Trails made sure that the bags got to us as soon possible. They made sure that someone was at the airport in Zanzibar to meet us in the middle of the night when our flight was delayed by several hours. Bernard did not seem to mind one jot however late we called him. They really went the extra mile which made all the difference.
I have travelled all over the world with a large number of travel companies, but I can honestly say that very few can match the standard of Lion Trails Safaris.

Visited August 2014
asnyder39
“2 great wknd trips around Kenya with LT at the helm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2014

Myself and a group of colleagues booked 2 weekends trips with Lion Trails and everything turned out great! Short notice changes to the number of people going on each trip was accommodated along with changes to the itinerary once on the road. Our group had Martin and Francis as our drivers and guides for both weekends. While in Maasai Mara we got to see many animals up close and enjoy the great weather. I would not hesitate to book again with LT and will recommend them to future colleagues visiting Kenya.

PA
“Beyond my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2014

Fulfilling a lifelong dream of visiting the Serengeti on safari was amazing and this company made it worth the money and long flight. As an American, it was unsettling to be asked to wire transfer money to a bank in Kenya to pay for the trip (most Kenyans don't use credit cards). I did a LOT of research to find a company that seemed trustworthy and read the great reviews on here that Lion Trails received. Even with that, it was an anxiety-filled moment when I sent the money. Bernard was great about responding promptly to all emails. He was very accommodating when we kept changing our minds about length of trip and lodging needs. He worked very hard to provide a great trip within our budget.He also had the added difficulty of keeping track of my payments as well as those from our friend from Holland who joined us and was sending her payments separately. He did a great job of keeping me informed of what was due and when and when my friend's payments were received. He even changed our lodging arrangements almost last minute when our first choice received a cancellation and could accommodate us unexpectedly. (We stayed at Mara Leisure Camp which I will review separately but suffice it to say, I couldn't imagine a more perfect place to stay). This actually saved us money which is always a good thing! I would gladly do business with Bernard again.
Our guide, Jackson, picked us up from our lodging on the western outskirts of Nairobi on time and was polite, informative, accommodating, flexible, and so much fun! He taught us not only about the animals but about Kenya and the people and traditions. We were lucky enough to see the Big 5 and lots of baby animals. Jackson was very concerned with positioning the vehicle to ensure that our photographs were framed as well as possible including backdrops and lighting. He gave us suggestions of activities and let us make up our trip as we went which was less stressful than having a very specific itinerary to stick to. We even learned some Swahili along the way. We crossed the paths of many other safari companies in the Mara during our 4 day safari. I noticed that the drivers from some of the other companies looked utterly bored with their jobs and their customers looked like they would have rather been elsewhere. What a shame. We laughed and sang and told jokes and learned about each other's cultures. And even though Jackson has been a guide for 8 years, he still was just as excited as we were to see the animals. He never made us feel rushed to get to the next one. If we wanted to watch a cheetah sleep for 30 minutes, he was fine with that. He taught us about animal behavior as well as interesting facts about the Mara and the Masai tribe.
I cannot say enough good things about our experience with Lion Trails Safaris, Bernard, and Jackson. I would strongly urge anyone going to visit Kenya or any other country in the area to contact them to arrange your trip. Bernard bends over backward to make the trip as perfect as possible for you at a reasonable cost and will work with you to stay within your budget while still providing the trip of a lifetime. Can't wait to go back!

Bedford, Virginia
“Its all about choices. Our 8 day, 7 night Magic of Kenya Safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

I don't usually write reviews but the reviews of Lion Trails helped me pick them and I wanted to pass it on.

Money transfer:
Being an American I was very nervous as we hear all the time about scams. I took a trip advisor reviewers assurance and paid a deposit via bank transfer and then planned to pay balance in cash on arrival. I decided to do two bank transfers not wanting to carry that much cash. Next time I will do one payment in full as the bank charges each time were $70 US. But be assured this is normal practice here.

Group size on safari:
It was just my husband and i traveling and we went back and forth on whether to go with a group or on our own. We were so glad we chose to go on our own. We could spread out and switch seats in the vehicle, stop where we wanted and stay however long we wanted. We saw groups where some people looked bored and others were snapping pictures like crazy. Sometimes I wanted to spend 10 min watching baby cubs and sometimes I was hot and wanted to move on. With just my husband and I it was perfect. If your concern is for socializing there is plenty of opportunity in the evening or between drives if you need it.

Vehicle:
We had a strict budget and the vehicle was not a priority for us. Our old van was perfect. She had a pop up roof which I stood up an looked thru as we drove thru the parks it helped on the bumpy roads for me to stand. My husband stretched out in the center isle and was very happy.

Roads:
I had heard the roads were pot holes that were connected. I was pleasantly surprised on the main roads. Within the actual parks they were dirt and bumpy but were maintained. The road to Masa Mara was 106km of horror! They should sell t-shirts that say "I survived the road to "Masa Mara" but I have to admit I'm glad we went by road at least one direction the countryside and people were amazing.

Magic of Kenya Package:
Bernard allowed us to adjust this package slightly to stay an extra day at masa Mara and to change a couple of the lodgings which in hindsight we didn't need to do. I liked being able to see four different terrains and animals but as others have said it is a lot of traveling. If I had the funds I would do the same package but fly one leg from/to Nairobi to avoid one leg of the road into Masa Mara. It would have been nice to have been able to stay a minimum of two nights at each place but we did not have the time or funds.

Driver:
This is why you choose Lion Trails. Their divers are not just drivers they are guides with years of experience. Our driver Oliver made our trip! I can not speak higher of him. His enthusiasm, patience with this chatty girl, knowledge about animals, birds, plants and even framing a photo for light and composition. He loves his job and respects his boss and coworkers. This is why I can recommend Lion Trails without any reservations and will answer any questions someone may have.

Visited August 2014

Been to Lion Trails Safaris - Day Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Lion Trails Safaris - Day Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.