“The Best of Kenya!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lion Trails Safaris - Day Tours

Lion Trails Safaris - Day Tours
Embakasi along Outer Ring Road, Fedha Estate | Patron Business Center, 1st Floor, Hse no. 19, Nairobi, Kenya
+254 720 710451
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 103 Activities in Nairobi
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A small vibrant Tour Company in Kenya, owned and operated by local Kenyans. Services include: Short Excursions/Short Safaris/Road & Flying Safaris (Both group & private)/Beach Holidays/Nairobi accommodation/Local flight reservations/Airport Transfers/Mountain Climbing/Gorilla Safaris in Rwanda. Note: We always work hard to better our services and always look for the most effective and affordable solutions to our clients needs. Whatever you want, we will put you on the right track!
Salmiyah, Kuwait
10 attraction reviews
“The Best of Kenya!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I sent mails to 8 Kenya Tour Operators with my safari preferences and selected LTS after carefully considering all the quotes & specifications and I am so glad that i selected LTS over anybody else!

Right from the first mail from Bernard till he sent me a mail after I came back his service & customer orientation skills are par excellence! both in terms of his response time and the detailing! and we shared no less than 56 mails (yeah I know I am a detail freak!) He always gave us the correct advice (special thanks for the Binoculars advice as they became invaluable to us during the Safari) plus upto date information on Kenya! He gave us a lot of accommodation options basis our budget preferences which made our selection easy!

Bernard even came to see us off at the Airport and that was a very kind gesture indeed!

Martin - our Tour Guide never was a driver for us but our safari partner throughout the 7 days Safari! He has 21 years experience & it shows in his impeccable knowledge about Kenya, it's history, wildlife & terrain! And his animal spotting skills are simply awesome! Thanks to him we saw The Big 5 and the Cheetah too...innumerable spotting of Lions plus he answered my innumerable questions each & every time diligently! it was so much fun to talk to him and I got to learn so much about Kenya from him. For me he would always remain a Family member and not just a Safari Driver! The best moments were when we spotted the Leopard in Maasai and it was all because of Martin as he knew where exactly to spot it! Plus special thanks to him for recommending & taking us to the Utamaduni Craft Centre in Nairobi for shopping as it was such a wonderful shop! I just can't thank Martin enough for taking care of us and being such a hospitable host!

Thanks to LTS we had an unforgettable trip and I have already started promoting Kenya here in Kuwait and back home in India to my friends & family so that all of them can enjoy this magical country!

So if you are looking to plan your Kenyan sojourn then look no further and just go for Lion Trails! a wonderful safari experience is guaranteed!

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Good w/ a few bumps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

First, I have to compliment Bernard for his efficient communication before, during, and after our Safari. Of all the companies I contacted, Lion Trails was (by far) the most responsive. My husband and I wanted to take a short 2-day safari with our 18 m.o. son and while we initially planned to go to Amboseli, we landed on Masai Mara for its diverse wildlife. Other than a torrential downpour during our first game drive (which was out of our control), we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Mara. We had the chance to see a cheetah, several lions, and thousands of wildebeests and zebras. Here are a few things, however, that would have been helpful to know beforehand, particularly for a family taking a 2-day Safari:

1. The drive to Mara was about five hours, and the last 90 minutes were quite uncomfortable. While my husband and I were fine to endure the bumpy route, we would have appreciated a warning for our little one. "Bumpy" is actually putting it lightly.

2. Mara is a little too ambitious for a 2 day/1 night Safari. While I would recommend Mara to any traveller, I would advise a minimum of 2 nights. We feel like the limitations should have been more clearly communicated to us at the outset.

3. In the case you can only do/afford a 2 day/1 night, I would highly recommend staying INSIDE of the park. An additional 2 hours were spent driving to/from our lodge, even once we arrived, and we feel like this took away from our total experience. Because of this factor, we were not able to enjoy the final meal at our lodge (and had to endure a less-than-adequate "picnic lunch" on our ride home. Staying inside the park is more expensive, but well worth the added cost.

Overall, we were really happy with our trip. But we feel like it could have been a 5-star experience had the details been more clearly organized and communicated.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Perfect in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Kenya has been on my bucket list since forever. Just back from Kenya after having had the ultimate safari experience and it's all because of Lions Trails! My family and I opted for a 10-day safari and we wanted it to go smoothly. I contacted the top 5 rated tour companies on this forum, and out of the 4 replies I got, Bernard's was the longest! We liked Bernard’s professional approach right from the start - he drew up a detailed itinerary for us, kept suggesting improvements and was flexible enough to keep making alterations for almost a month until we finalized the trip. We were feeling a bit uncomfortable to send over such a large sum of money, but he was prompt and understanding, and allowed us to pay him in cash in Nairobi itself (note: bring USD notes printed in 2007 and later. Shops do not accept earlier versions of the notes).
We booked a minivan for the safari, a private one just for the three of us. I'd say the minivan is great and provides a good sense of adventure, but do go for the land cruiser if you can afford that little extra - the bumpy roads aren't all that bumpy in a land cruiser.
We were received at the airport by Bernard and our tour guide/driver Simon, and after a briefing set on our safari the next day. We started off with Amboselli, and then Aberdare, Samburu, Solio Ranch, Lake Naivasha and then finally the Masai Maara. That involved a whole lot of driving but Simon was up for it. The whole tour went without a single hitch, I am glad to say. Simon has a real sharp eye and showed us all the animals with unfailing enthusiasm considering that he's been doing this for 11 years!
All accommodations suggested were brilliant and ranged from luxurious to basic camping, so we got to experience both the adventurous and the fancy. We were smiling with excitement at the start of our safari, and our smiles were definitely bigger by the end.
We thank Bernard and his team and wish them all the very best. May Lions Trails grow up to be the best safari operator in Kenya :))
Tip: Make sure you plan your trip well in advance, especially if you're going during the peak season and are keen on getting the best accommodation you can.

Boston
“Fantastic Safari Company with First Class Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I along with another couple did the 2 night, 3 day Masai Mara Safari with Martin as our guide and Francis as our cook. From the beginning this company was outstanding. Bernard who I primarily communicated with was efficient and speedy, provided detailed instructions on payment and accurate receipts. We were met at the Nairobi airport by Bernard and Martin with no delay. We stayed at the Mara Springs in all inclusive tents which had an en suite bathroom. The water was always hot, the beds clean, and the grounds were meticulously kept. Our cook ,Francis, was extremely accomodating as we are all vegetarian. His food was delicious and he presented a good variety of items. His crepes were outstanding! He even made a birthday cake for our friend and Martin and Bernard set up a campfire at night complete with sparkling cider to celebrate! Martin is a fantastic guide. We learned so much and could tell that he really cares about the animals and conservation. He is extremely knowledgable and friendly. We could not have asked for a better trip! Martin even helped us with our airline tickets when we had a problem. We liked Martin and Lion Trails so much that we actually hired them the day after we returned from Safari for a day tour of Nairobi. We would definately use their services again.

Visited February 2014
Sydney Australia
“A great safari and a great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My son and I did a 4 day - 3 night Lake Nakuru and Maasai Mara safari with Lion Trails recently - everything went according to plan and we had a wonderful time. Like all the other reviewers of this provider, I have to compliment Bernard on his responsiveness, helpfulness and follow up throughout the entire process....nothing was too difficult. Our guide, Ben, was so knowledgeable and accommodating I now couldn't imagine doing a safari with a bus full of strangers - we loved the personalised attention and being able to control our own movements / times etc. I'd absolutely recommend this tour operator and will certainly use them again when we next travel to Kenya.
Oh, and we saw all of the big 5!

Visited July 2014

Been to Lion Trails Safaris - Day Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Lion Trails Safaris - Day Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.