“Good Price for Locals” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 42 Attractions in Nairobi
Type: Educational Sites, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: East Africa’s largest crocodile farm.
nairobi
14 attraction reviews
“Good Price for Locals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Had taken couple of my friends and wife there, and found a staggering difference in price! It is over priced for sure if you are a tourist, but for a Kenyan, the pricing is very reasonable. The scenery is good too, have some big crocs & baby ones to view..

Restaurant was not bad either. Nice spacious grounds

Visited February 2013

Nairobi, Kenya
12 attraction reviews
“Nice enough, but pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Except the (overpriced) restaurant, the place is looking a little tired and sad. It is cool to see crocodiles up close, and learn about them from the guide (no tipping needed), and the lake is pretty enough, but overall they need to invest some of that steep cover back into the facilities. I'd go again since it is a unique place to take visitors who have already done most if the sights, but wouldn't include on a "must-see" list.

Visited November 2013
Neuchâtel, Neuchatel, Switzerland
“Go if you want to see a lot of crocodiles.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Most of the reviews are correct, so it boils down to what you want out of it, and not raising your expectations to the impossible also.

Crocodiles are cold-blooded lizards. Don't expect them to be circus animals. They lay around and are really good at not moving. So this is what they do.

But, if you want to see hundreds of them up close, big ones, baby ones, and maybe see a few swim, and if you're there at 5pm, see a few jumping up to grab goat pieces hanging above them, and if you want to hold a baby crocodile and egg, and see the joy in your kids eyes as they do the same, then go.

I got it at Resident rates because my wife is Kenyan. I do agree the entry fee was a bit high for non-residents. But, I can also say that in all my life, I've never seen that many crocodiles and my little girl saying Doodoo Kubwa (Big Monster) over and over was priceless.

Yes, get a tour guide. AND why not pay a tip? Don't look at these people like the enemy. If you had any idea the pay rates these people usually make, and they have to walk around that park in the heat all year round and say the same things. Engage with them, and make some jokes. Make them feel comfortable and ask lots of questions, and they will be nicer too. WE'RE ALL HUMAN. And then graciously give them a little tip like 100 or 200 KSh (what is that like $2??? - is that going to kill you?) If that still doesn't work in getting them to respond more, well then sometimes you just can't win. But, i think most of the time you won't.

I was sorely disappointed with my crocodile meal, for 1000 KSh. I had the stir fry. However, I'll say two things. First, I don't know if it was crocodile I didn't like or if it was the restaurant. There were a few pieces of chicken-tasting (yes, i know...) tough meet with lots of pieces that were like fat but didn't completely totatlly taste like fat. Perhaps the Shish Kabob would have been a better choice. Who knows. But, secondly, i can say I ate crocodile, whether I like it or not. And I'm not in the poor house because I spent 10 bucks.

Were the snakes and fish, etc that exciting? no, not really. But, I still say a green mamba up close, and never have before...and so I walk away with that. And I'm happy.

There's the review, take it or leave it. You have to decide. It is a bit pricey for the fun you may have, especially as an adult. But I have to say, probably younger children seeing that many crocodiles is worth it. And if you do order the crocodile lunch, get the Shish Kabob instead and let me know how it was.

Visited October 2013
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“have a guide!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We thought this might be a tourist trap but we had a guide showing us around who made it a really interesting and fun trip, we held a crocodile, learned loads and finished with a bbq lunch.

Visited November 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
“nothing much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I cannot remember what i paid at the gate for my family of 4 (dad, mum, 2kids oldest 6yrs) to see the crocs but i do remember feeling ripped off of my cash: the crocs are in cramped quarters and scared the kids, further, the cages are not well designed and one gets the feeling the animals may get out and bite.

The remedying thing about this place is the dam and the other attractions for kids in a play area across the zoo

Visited January 2013