“Decent place to stay in the heart of the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Hotel

Save Saved
You added Delta Hotel to your Saves list
Delta Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   University Way, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #54 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Kurashiki, Japan
“Decent place to stay in the heart of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here one night in transit. Convenient location, near restaurants and supermarkets, 30 min. or so from the airport (if there isn't traffic!). Spacious rooms w/ TV and semi-hot water, big western-style breakfast served in bar downstairs. We paid $105 for a large twin room (2 massive & comfortable double beds), of course it is overpriced, all of Nairobi is!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Delta is not a bad place to stay but I don't think it's worth what they charge to stay there.

On my first night I was booked into a deluxe room and due to the cost, relocated to a smaller, singe bed room in a quieter location, but even that was overpriced for the size and quality.

The location is great though, its not quite in downtown Nairobi, but that's a good thing as that reduces the noise. It's only a short walk to the main roads and shops etc. Just around the corner there is a great burger and pizza place, Steers & Debonairs.

One downside of the hotel for me was the lack of natural light, it felt like nighttime or dusk, no matter what time of day it was. The bar and restaurant was ok but not great. I was lucky enough at times to be on time for breakfast but there's not a great selection to choose from, but it fills a hole until lunch.

The service was average though. They do tend to get better if you stay there for a while and get to know them, then they tend to try and do more for you, but otherwise, they can be quite dismissive.

In all it wasn't too bad, some of the decor needs updating but they do tend to be regularly cleaning the floors and rooms. It can be noisy at nights due to the bar/restaurant downstairs where loud music will echo up through the floors, so unless you can block that out, I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Den Haag, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The location of the Delta hotel is good. For Nairobi concepts, it is quiet safe.
But the furnishing of the hotel is really terrible! The rooms (double room) are quiet large and clean and the shower is ok.

There are a few restaurants and bars directly next to the hotel, so there is a lot of noise until late in the evening. The breakfast is basic.

The hotel is definitely over priced for the service and comfort that they offer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed here for only a few hours one night, in order to catch an early shuttle to Tanzania. It's conveniently located less than one block from the shuttles on Monrovia Street. They're all parked basically around the corner. All of Nairobi is on the expensive side, so I paid $95USD for really old, questionable sheets in a dark room. It was the only moderate room I could find between a hostel and a five star. The bathroom is kind of a nightmare, as the shower and toilet are in one space. The rooms are quite noisy from the street and passersby in the hall. Even if it had one redeeming quality, I might recommend it, but like I said, it's in a really convenient location in City Center. We even walked to Nairobi Java House in 15 mins. So maybe that's the redeeming quality.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kisumu, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel is right in the middle of the city just across the central police station. Room furnishings are fair at 80 USD for a double.

The 'crowning jewel' is the service. As terrible as it can get. The porter helping with my luggage was disinterested and dragged it and bumped it on just about anything. I had to politely ask him to let me do it myself.
Then the instant water heater in my room blew away within seconds, a really dangerous thing, but the management would not repair it or give me another room. For the whole day, they kept tossing me between themselves and even asked me (more than once) to make certain it was really not working!
No one was even remotely apologetic that I had no warm water in my room.
It was my first time trying out this place and they outdid themselves in sending me away. I would not recommend this hotel to my enemy.

Room Tip: Once you pay, you are on your own.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Nairobi seems to be an expensive place as far as hotels are concerned. For a hotel like Delta where we booked a triple room and a single room, the cost of more than $ 300 seemed steep. The triple cost around $ 220.00 and the single $ 80.00. The single was so small that it could just about accommodate a bed and barely had place to move. As I was there just for 11 hours and had to spend the night- it didn't matter too much. Breakfast was OK . The hotel gives an impression of being small but I think its fairly decent size as it covers quite a bit of area.
The lift wasn't working so the staff carried my suitcase to 2nd floor. Breakfast next morning was
The place is pretty close to to downtown business district. There were a few eating places nearby so you didn't have to eat at hotel if you didn't want to.
I don't know if this hotel was expensive or is Nairobi generally an expensive place to stay. My stay was too short to investigate this aspect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This hotel was good enough for a one night stay. The porter helped carry my heavy bag upstairs. The room was clean and had everything I needed, although certainly not anything special. It was quite noisy, because there seemed to be a nightclub or party going on nearby. I don't know if this is usual or not.

My main complaint is with the restaurant downstairs. A short time after eating there, myself and several people traveling with me became ill with a a long-lasting bacterial illness. I cannot say that it was definitely this place of course, but it is the most likely possibility. The service was so lax generally that I imagine the kitchens are not terribly clean.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Delta Hotel? Share your experiences!